Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT question - how far can you drive for a test?
Russell

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
MOT question - how far can you drive for a test?

I've seen a car on eBay that I fancy with tax but needing an MOT. Could I get away with driving it 80 miles to a pre-booked test at a test centre near home or would the traffic cops have a problem with that if I were to be stopped? Anyone had any positive or negative experience of this?

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

ReMan

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
As far as you see fit if its booked and insured

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

r1_pete

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure the distance isn't defined, its a wooly statement.

To be honest I've done it, Leeds to Sheffield in a knackered SD1 which clearly wouldn't have passed an MOT, had SWMBO behind all the way pre empting my moves because the indicators didn't work..... But is was a manual V8 for the BGT V8 project at the time.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Russell

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I'm sure the distance isn't defined, its a wooly statement.

To be honest I've done it, Leeds to Sheffield in a knackered SD1 which clearly wouldn't have passed an MOT, had SWMBO behind all the way pre empting my moves because the indicators didn't work..... But is was a manual V8 for the BGT V8 project at the time.

Was that recently? The mobile ANPR cameras spot no tax, MOT or insurance in an instant these days.

r1_pete

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
No it was back in the late 80s, more rozzers in cars then though.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 27/2/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure an ANPR would pick you up in that distance. true there's no limit on mileage stated anywhere, but if you were a traffic cop, and you stopped someone for no MOT, and they said it was booked in for an MOT 80 miles away, would you not be questioning why the MOT couldn't have been done in the town where you got it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Russell

posted on 27/2/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, if I was a cop I would question it. On the other hand, if no distance is stipulated...I'll have to have a think...

greggors84

posted on 27/2/11 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
If the cameras pick up no MOT, how do they know you are not on your way to one. I guess if you get the fine you can just prove you had one booked.

What do these cameras look like anyway?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

MakeEverything

posted on 27/2/11 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
If the cameras pick up no MOT, how do they know you are not on your way to one. I guess if you get the fine you can just prove you had one booked.

Just normal cameras. Its the software that they feed into that picks up the face / vehicle reg recognition.

ETA: night vision cameras look different to daytime cameras, and will have either an infra red filter or an infra red light.

[Edited on 27-2-11 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

blakep82

posted on 27/2/11 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84

they have anpr cameras on the roof of traffic cars, so if the camera sees your car, it flashes up on the screen to the cop, he comes after you and pulls you over

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ed1801

posted on 28/2/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine ran out of MOT but had forgotten or just didn't think about when the date was. He drove around for 3 months without it, and with no idea that it was like that. He must have passed countless police cars and cameras. Nothing happened.
Brook_lands

posted on 28/2/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
You might get away with the "I'm going to a pre booked test" but if they think you are taking the p then there is nothing to stop them going over the car with a fine tooth comb to ensure it meets construction and use regs etc. The penalties for vehicle defects can be considerable larger than for not having an MOT. Booking a test 80 miles away (which just happens to be nearer home) suggests you know the car is unlikely to pass, therefore you must suspect it has defects, therefore they are likely to find something if they really want to.

Having said that, mate drove round for 4 months with no insurance after his wife chucked him out and cancelled the monthly payment and didn't tell him, he didn't find out until he tried to tax the car online and computer said NO. Guess it's all down to luck.

tony-devon

posted on 28/2/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I asked this question a while back, while chatting with a traffic cop, my situation is that I have about 40 miles each way to the test centre, however it is my nearest for the class I need.

his answer was that you could drive to a booked test, BUT the vehicle has to still be road legal, in terms of tyres etc, the obvious things that you would know its going to fail on

he wouldnt comment in the distance thing, merely that it wasnt stipulated, however as I have said, my nearest class 3 station, is about 40 ish miles, I will probably trailer mine there anyway, as its a new build, never ran the engine etc, and the insurance company will only give you cover for 7 days when you start the policy with no MOT, so it could cause all sorts of problems for me, if it fails and I cant get back the following week.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

steve m

posted on 28/2/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
you could book a couple of mot places that fall into the journey and if stopped just use the nearest one
thunderace

posted on 28/2/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed1801
A friend of mine ran out of MOT but had forgotten or just didn't think about when the date was. He drove around for 3 months without it, and with no idea that it was like that. He must have passed countless police cars and cameras. Nothing happened.

i done this for 12 weeks and past the police around 10 times a day

tony-devon

posted on 28/2/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Im not that sure that the ANPR will flag up a vehicle with no MOT, I think its only insurance and tax that it reacts to, but then they can check regarding MOT if required

its not an endorsable offence from memory, so maybe it doesnt check for it?

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

40inches

posted on 28/2/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
A police forum that the public can use? MOT question
steve m

posted on 28/2/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
"its not an endorsable offence from memory, so maybe it doesnt check for it? "

But no MOT means invalid Insurance, and that is an endorsable offence

MikeR

posted on 28/2/11 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Just phone a series of garages along the way and book an MOT for the end of the day ...... Be careful and keep track of the most local garage. Don't have Sat Nav in the car and if pulled start with "i'm a bit lost".

(although why not MOT it at the start so you know its safe to drive home?)

rich.h44

posted on 14/7/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
how did you get on?i seen a car only it 285 miles away and was wondering how much trouble id get in
Russell

posted on 14/7/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Too long and weird a story to put it all down in words but the vehicle turned out to be not exactly as described and very difficult to insure. The surprising thing was that when I got there it did suddenly have a valid MOT though... Anyway, I didn't buy it so I can't help with the driving a long way to an MOT query.

rich.h44

posted on 15/7/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks for your reply,well as look had have iv just had the police at my house (kids went missing) anyway they asked if we had anymore questions so i said i had an off topic one and they said yes its fine solong as its booked a the mot station and if i got stoped i may have to produce documents weather it passed or not to prove it it! looks like i may have a 300 mile trek to do

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.