Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Midi body design (in aly)
hughpinder

posted on 4/3/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Midi body design (in aly)

Well I've finally got to the point of deciding what I'd like the body to look like. It'll be made in aly:

I started with a 1/10 scale mock up of all the crucial parts(size wise):

Then I painted the outer perimeter of all the major fixed items bright blue, so I'd be able to see if I sanded into it:

Then covered in polyfilla, so it'd be easy to sand:

And the final design below. You'll notice the front is differently shaped on one side to the other - the drivers side is straighter front to back and is more 'squared off' at the front - at the moment I think I prefer the rounder shape of the passenger side. The rear/sides are slightly bulged panels. I'll have to add either side vents or bonnet top (like an elise) at the front to let the air from the rad out. The rear lights are actually modelled off the doner (mk1 mondeo) - not sure if I'd keep them or put individual lights on.

All comments on the design, difficulty of doing it, how to do it, any regulations I'd break etc welcome!
Hugh

JC

posted on 4/3/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Can't be a problem regulatory wise - its a similar shape to the MK midi.

good luck and hope it goes quicker than my build has!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 4/3/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
The mondeo lights look more like the mk2 facelift ones?

If so they will look HUGE!

hughpinder

posted on 5/3/11 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
loggyboy - you are actually right it was a mk2!

Regards
Hugh

2cv

posted on 5/3/11 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
It looks really nice Hugh. You've gone to a lot of trouble to to produce a very attractive model and easily scaled up to full size. The cycle wings will be a particularly good project in aluminium. It looks like you've designed in the dreaded reverse curve on the cockpit fairings so good luck with that!

The rear lights compliment the shape and also offer the benefit of modern standard illumination

I hope you will be starting a build thread so that we can follow your progress.

[Edited on 5/3/11 by 2cv]

[Edited on 5/3/11 by 2cv]

Marcus

posted on 5/3/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
The only issue I see is the distance of the rear lights from the edge of the car, need to be no more than 400mm (I think!)

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 6/3/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments.
I will probably start with cycle wings as it seems a 'relatively' simple shape, and also not too much metal to throw away compared to some panels.
I will post pictures as I go, but I'm not planning lightning progress here - will hopefully weld up the chassis during the summer and play with a few bits of sheet to see how well it goes and start the body properly during the winter!

Marcus, I did check the lights spacing when I started the design ( quite a while has passed since ), and did check that measurement - however its a good reminder as I have changed the design shape a bit here and there so it may be out of spec. In fact I'll check all the light spacings while I think of it.

I may do a cardboard mock up of the back end including the lights in 'full scale' to see what I think.

Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.