Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyones ever soray painted doors?
gazzarose

posted on 5/3/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Anyones ever soray painted doors?

Hi guys,

Im just coming to the end of my kitchen rebuild, and its time for skirtings/doors. I hate painting with a passion and hate brush marks and gloss paint even more, so I bought plastic coated satin skirtings from wickes that Im spraying gloss white to match the units, but now it leaves the doors. They're brand new pine panel doors and I wouldn't mind spraying them. I've got a compressor and a couple of sray guns in work, but I've never sprayed wood so any tips. Im not after a glossy finish, just an even doory(?) kind of finish similar to the finish you get on moulded doors. What primer paint do I need and do I need to thin it down?

Any help and advice would be great.

Regards

Gareth

macc man

posted on 5/3/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on paint finish required but with a compressor you would be best with a high volume low pressure set up.
You can alternatively buy a cheap electric one from Aldi. Biggest problem when spaying paint with long drying time is runs. Keep
doors flat and dont spray too thick a coat. I got a good finish with a roller and good brush on my pine doors. Good luck.

austin man

posted on 5/3/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
If the doors are real wood you would need to sand / key the surface apply primer I would go for an oil based as you will need to thin it down with white spirit or turps depends on manafacturer warm it slighlty and spray and leave in a warm area. same again for the top coat don't use no drip varieties as they do not thin the same and not realy designed to be thinned. I would go for a maximum of 40% thinning agent. All tests on the insides of the doors before you go for the side on view. Keep a cloth and turps handy to remove any problems

You could test with car based paints too but you will end up with a shiny finish

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

deltron63

posted on 5/3/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I sprayed ours with 2k car paint. Everyone thought we bought a new kitchen
gazzarose

posted on 5/3/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Its the room doors Im painting by the way in case of confusion.

Can I use this paint? paint. Do I need a primer? Alot of the primers seem to say water based. I can have a practise with it on some old plywood and see what coverage and finish I get. So if I give it a sand over with 240 ish paper will I be good to go.

Gareth

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.