Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ouch my hand
Moorron

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
ouch my hand

Hi guys thought i would tell you about a car related misshap i managed last night. Unfortunatly i have no pictures but it might give some a giggle.

Got home from work to find my missus's car has yet again broke its side light switch (ford puma) which first happened about 4 years ago and was very dangerous. Basically the innards break but you cant tell so front lights work but no rears! Anyway this time i had no choice but to fix it right away. Took the unit out of the car and then found to fix the switch i had to desolder the main unit, trying my hardest to unclip the plastic tabs with a 3mm flat screwdriver i slipped, forcing the screwdriver into the palm of my hand (large muscle where thumb attaches) until it stopped at the bone of the 'pointing' finder on the top of my hand. The screwdriver had passed about 2" into my hand and only stopped due to this bone.

Funny thing is it didnt bleed much, just left a hole i could see up just like an upskirt shot of a hooker! But the pain was awful for 5 minutes, while i paced the garage floor. My arm had gone numb upto my elbow. Wasnt the best of moves ive done. But i still managed to fix the light switch afterward with one hand a 3 or 4 shots of vodka. Woke up during the noght a few times too.

Its abit swollen today and i cant grip a thing with it but unless it gets worse im not going to the hospital as i am afraid of them

lesson leant

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

nitram38

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Tetenous jab?
Should get one at the very least

tegwin

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hope your tetanus shots are up to date.. if not... worth going to GP for a booster ASAP

Beaten off the line by nitram there

[Edited on 8/3/11 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch
Ouch
Ouch

prawnabie

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I was drilling with a 1/8 drill bit when the bit broke and drilled through the lower left hand corner of my left thumbnail! I have to reverse the drill to get it out lol.

I left it a week then went to the hospital - by they it was pretty infected!

balidey

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh, that'll smart.
Atleast you have somewhere to keep a spare screwdriver now.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Miks15

posted on 8/3/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit I've slipped with a small screwdriver a few times, but come off with a small cut, which still stings mind. I've often thought I'd been lucky not to go deeper into my hand. Just think about that made me cringe a little bit
chris_harris_

posted on 8/3/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
As Paramedic my advice is visit the hospital as soon as you can, a screwdriver is not a clean item to introduce to your body! And if it did come up against the bone, and casue any bony damage, you won't know without an xray, then this will be classed as an open fracture and requires antibiotics.
The pain of visiting the hospital now, is well worth the lack of pain that you will experince if it all goes sour.
You may be lucky, but if its your hands, and you use them alot then its not worth the rtisk i would say.

Up to you of course, patient choice and all that.. Whatever, you decide, i wish you a speedy recovery nevertheless.

Regards Chris

nick205

posted on 8/3/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Also well worth getting your hand checked for any possible tendon and nerve damage I'd have thought. Complex things hands and easily damaged too.

graememk

posted on 8/3/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
get it looked at, if you get a infection in the bone no antibiotic will touch it, you'll end up with a hook where your hand used to be.

adithorp

posted on 8/3/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Pah! I stuck one of these right through my hand. Fortunatly it went in and out before I knew what I'd done. Just had a bead of blood appear each side and sore for a week.
Get to A+E and have it checked. I was up to date on my tetanus and was given anti-biotics to use if needed. Luckily workshop grim isn't that bad for infections generally. I'm just left with a small grey spot (tyre rubber) on my thumb.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

maximill666

posted on 8/3/11 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

norfolkluego

posted on 9/3/11 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
You big poof, get to the hospital and get yourself sorted THEN take some pictures for us (take your camera with you and get the nurses to take the pics just in case we can't see anything if they bandage it).

Seriously, two inches is a deep wound, get it looked at

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/3/11 at 03:34 AM Reply With Quote
oh thats going to hurt

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/11 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
It's not a serious injury unless you crack bone but nice try

I’ve often wondered just how many times I have cut, crushed or smashed my knuckles while working on cars, if I kept and incident book I recon it would be very thick…

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 9/3/11 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
At my old job i was on my knees cutting styrofoam to fit a multidisk changer into. Crysler cross fire incase your that interested.

Anyways the super new and sharp blade I was using cut straight through the oam quicker than I expected and I just stabbed myself full blade depth in to my theigh.

I just kemp using steristrips to hold my leg together for about 3 weeks. I have a messy scar now which I think would of been non existant if it was sowen up properly.

The worst injuries I have got by far are from playing rugby. I took a boot to the head on my right eye brow. Split my eye brow, eye lid and gave me two black eyes. I just got strapped up around my head like humptey dumptey and played on for the next hour till the end of the game!!!

Thats the difference between rugby anf football!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

stevegough

posted on 9/3/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maximill666
Description
Description

You want gory pics? I've got one - just let me find it...... just to whet your appetite, it was someone who decided to use an industrial quality shredder on their hand......

.....watch this space....

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

stevegough

posted on 9/3/11 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
here you go....
Description
Description

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

JoelP

posted on 9/3/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
dammit couldnt that have waited til after dinner

OP, id suggest hospital too, itwill undoubtedly get infected, and you may have damaged a nerve. Dont be a coward! (or a moron )

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

blakep82

posted on 9/3/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, even if its feels alright, get down the hospital anyway, could have done some unseen damamge, nerve damage etc, tetanus. not cool, get down there and get it checked out. if the opening of the hole closes over during healing, and leaves a air bubble inside too, that will cause you no end of trouble. it needs treating properly, and probably packed with, grr can't remember the name, but it promoted healing, but keeps the hole open so it only heals from the end of the hole

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 10/3/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I stabbed a screwdriver though my hand and when i pulled it out it made a sucking noise DID YOURS
And yes i did go to hospital
AND SO SHOULD YOU

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisLeary

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
The worst injuries I have got by far are from playing rugby. I took a boot to the head on my right eye brow. Split my eye brow, eye lid and gave me two black eyes. I just got strapped up around my head like humptey dumptey and played on for the next hour till the end of the game!!!

Thats the difference between rugby anf football!

I think it was the great Martin Johnson that once said in an interview after he'd retired:

'That's the difference between rugby and football, Rugby players run around for 80 minutes pretending they're not hurt... Football players lie around on the pitch for 90 minutes pretending they are hurt!'

Brilliant, and very true!

Moorron did you end up going to the hospital?

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.