Board logo

Running a PAS rack dry - likely damage?
alistairolsen - 31/3/11 at 01:23 PM

If I was to drain the majority of the fluid from a hydraulic PAS rack by moving it to the end of its travel in both directions, and then seal the ports with a loop of pipe between them so it can breathe, would it be likely to cause any damage for a few hundred miles?

Cheers

Chippy - 31/3/11 at 02:26 PM

I would think that it will be fine, just make sure that it's well greased up. Not too sure that you need to remove the fluid though, just fit a loop of tube between the two feed holes. HTH Ray

deezee - 31/3/11 at 02:31 PM

Just a rack would be fine. The power steering pump normally suffers problems though if its left empty of fluid.

hughpinder - 31/3/11 at 03:01 PM

When the fluid pipe on my rover 820s power steering burst, I just disconnect the belt to the PAS pump and drove it without the assistance (for about 3 months) - but it was only ever going to go to the scrappies from that point anyway.
Hugh

big-vee-twin - 31/3/11 at 03:42 PM

I had a Freelander that I destroyed the pump and the rack due to no oil

britishtrident - 31/3/11 at 04:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
When the fluid pipe on my rover 820s power steering burst, I just disconnect the belt to the PAS pump and drove it without the assistance (for about 3 months) - but it was only ever going to go to the scrappies from that point anyway.
Hugh

Why didn't you just loop the hoses together I've done it a few times when the loop of pipe that acts as a cooler corrodes --- works fine in the uk climate

alistairolsen - 31/3/11 at 04:20 PM

Im converting to PAS, but I cant find the required mount so I plan to install the rack and new front suspension but not fit the pump at all yet....

rusty nuts - 31/3/11 at 07:31 PM

Not sure it would be legal to drive on the road without the pump and pipes etc???

britishtrident - 1/4/11 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Not sure it would be legal to drive on the road without the pump and pipes etc???

MOT failure but beyond that ?

Mr Whippy - 1/4/11 at 12:01 PM

done it and no damage to either the electric pump or the rack

blakep82 - 1/4/11 at 12:10 PM

thought it was 'possible' to drive with the pump drive belt removed, so still full of fluid and it would be fine?

however, sure its a MOT failure, as you essentially have inoperative steering. as a power steering system, its simply not working. steering is a pretty important part.
also, PAS racks are not manual racks wich have been adapted to provide power assistance, but are a completely different design internally, and will give VERY heavy steering if not powered. i'd find a manual rack for now, until you find the mounts you need for the pump

bimbleuk - 1/4/11 at 01:15 PM

Done quite a bit on the RX7 V8 conversions. For a permanent conversion on those there are a couple of oil seals inside the rack which can be removed to reduce the resistance. Also the pinion assemble is welded to remove some slop in the oil control valves which is usually taken up with the oil under pressure.

Not my personal preference, on a heavy tin top anyway.