Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA fail (1.4.2011) Q&A - help wanted
Promai Joe

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
IVA fail (1.4.2011) Q&A - help wanted

Hi Everyone,

For those who don’t like reading, I need advice on items 8, 9, & 10. For others the following information may help you avoid a fail. Also if you read this before 2.4.11 7pm I have parts for sale on ebay (windscreen etc) joebzy250

Thanks to all the info from the site so far, sorry I have not posted, but your combined knowledge has been very useful. Hopefully my experience today may help others in the near future. I had my IVA today and failed so I thought it best to share my experience. I won't mention the test centre in case the VOSA man is watching. To be fair he was a decent chap and interpreted the guidance well, possibly I am bias and do not 100% agree with him.

The fail points were:

1. Chassis number stamped on the wrong side (my mistake!) First thing he checked and instant fail - great. Section 18 Statutory Plates

2. Fuel tank failed as he could not see the earth bond, the sender is earth but a threaded bolt stopped me removing a cover and it now needs an earth bond, I asked if something similar to those found in bathrooms is good and apparently it is. Section 03A Fuel Tanks

3. Steering rack gator fouled bodywork, simple file/cut should suffice. Section 05 - Steering effort

4. Brake bias bar with lock wire is fine, but it needs a specific label suggesting do not tamper. Section 09B Service brake control

5. Brake pipe must not foul moving part, it slightly connects with the front mudguard supports, he suggested a rubber cover is enough. Section 09D Hydraulic and Vacuum Systems

6. An indelible label is required indicating fluid type for the master cylinder - again not a biggy. Section 09D Hydraulic and
Vacuum Systems

7. Blunt f***ing edges - what a load of... check these out (see photos), me the seat and roll bar would have to disintegrate before any contact was made with the seat belt top mount, also the side repeaters have a screw aperture which is too sharp! Section 16 Exterior projections

8. Still struggling with this, so any advice would be good. My speedo read over by 2/3mph (checked with sat nav). He suggested it could not read over at all? even though the guidance he gave me says "speedo must not indicate a speed that is in excess of the true speed plus the permitted tolerance" He could not test the speed on the rolling road as my unit runs off the front wheel. He ran it up the road and suggested it should say 20mph at 1500rpm in top gear? That is what he wants to see when I go back. Section 17 Speedometer

9. Side repeaters could not be seen when he lied on the floor 5m away! What? I had mounted them to the bottom of the mirrors, see photos . I can only think some additional ones on the rear wings will be seen with this cars fat arse. Apparently providing they are (at most) 2.6m from the front anywhere will count? Any ideas? Section 23 Direction Indicators

10. Another awkward one. The rear fog light is “E” marked but the manual says it must be E and have additional “F” or “B” to indicate it is a fog lamp with the satisfactory amount of rear reflectance. I have used the land rover WIPAC round units which many other have – any advice? Section 28 Rear fog lamps.

11. The starter motor positive terminal needs an isolation cap . Section GC General construction

under wing mirrorside repeater

non view or side repeater!

rear seat belt mount

steering gator

brakeline rubbing

ashg

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
not a bad fail.

for the seat belt bits get the covers off a 1980's square shap micra they cover the whole thing including the nut nicely.

for the speedo put the sensor on the back wheel and adjust it on the rollers next time.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

coozer

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to point out, but, some school boy errors there.

8, Calibrate it so it under reads by 2~3mph. What type of speedo do you have?
9, Hoof him up the backside so he can see it, sorry not much help but did you not ask him where it should be?
10, Get one with all the marks on, CBS eg. Don't assume that stuff off production cars will pass IVA, its stricter than the back handed regs OEMS use..

For the seat belts I used the bracket, bolt, swivel and cover off a KA. Front ones only mind as the bolts on the back ones are NOT stamped 8.8.

All in, not a bad fail. Sure you will be happy and smiling soon,

Good luck!
Steve

[Edited on 1/4/11 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Promai Joe

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers,

May be you are right, some school boy errors, but in my defence this was my first experience of all of this. I was gutted earlier, but on relflection not too bad, it is all easy stuff.

Seriously the speedo? under not over?

Mine said 33 and sat nav said 30? is it not best to overestimate you speed?

Thanks for the response.
Joe

Promai Joe

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Also forgot to say, smiling. I took it the long way home and hit a bump at 70+ nearly poo my pants! very different to my Civic
Davegtst

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
1. Chassis number stamped on the wrong side (my mistake!) First thing he checked and instant fail - great. Section 18 Statutory Plates

What does that mean?

daviep

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst

What does that mean?

Copy of the manual HERE section 18 deals with the required plates and there position on the vehicle.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

daviep

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Promai Joe
Cheers,

May be you are right, some school boy errors, but in my defence this was my first experience of all of this. I was gutted earlier, but on relflection not too bad, it is all easy stuff.

Seriously the speedo? under not over?

Mine said 33 and sat nav said 30? is it not best to overestimate you speed?

Thanks for the response.
Joe

You're spot on here's the part of the manual which says so, I've taken a few cars taken for what was SVA don't be frightened to challenge any decisions which you think are incorrect, obviously make sure you know the facts and be polite

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Davegtst

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thats ridiculous, what difference does it make if it's on the left side?
designer

posted on 2/4/11 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
The difference is the side of the road we, sorry YOU, drive on in the UK. That's how they chose the side to be stamped.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 2/4/11 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from the speedo all the fail points seem legitimate. I would say thats a good fail with an easy list to put right.

The goal is to pass the IVA. Carefull reading of the IVA regs is needed and they have to be followed. There was lots of reasonable anger at the picky and irritating regulations when SVA was introduced and a slight surge again for IVA. I thought reality had dawned and the attitude was to 'build to comply with the regs, build to pass, don't rail against the machine'.

Arm yourself with a copy of the regs. Legitimate protest if the tester gets something like the speedo wrong. Sure. Arguing a point when you are wrong will be counter productive.

For instance, there have been several threads on side repeaters. There used to be an exemption in SVA for cars with sticky out rear mudguards. That was lost in IVA. Is it ridiculous. Yes it is. Anyone lying five degrees out from the side of you car in the road is probably injured and not concerned about how well he can see the repeater. Is it the rules. Yes. So move on and comply. The goal is to pass IVA and to do that you have to follow the rules. Mount them on the rear outer surface of the front mudguards and they will pass angles of vision.

Nigel

Humbug

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Speedo definitely must NOT read under e.g. if you are actually going 60mph the smpeed cannot read 58mph. It can be over, but there is a limit to how much (don;t know what)
Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Shame you got a fail chap, but as already said, that can be considered a good fail and relatively easy to fix .

Regarding the side repeaters, not sure Dusty that mounting them on the front guards (as I have done) will actually be good enough judging by joe's piccy of the fail angle, you can't see the front guards on it, and mine is very similar in stature, i.e. a fat back-end

An excellent report joe, good to tie the fail points to the relevant section of the manual, makes it a lot easier to ensure someone else can try and avoid the same issues

Fingers crossed for the re-test, make sure you put some piccies of your pass on here

[Edited on 2/4/11 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

loggyboy

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
For the side repeater, it should be at 5 degrees from the rear, does that make enough difference to see it from behind the rear arch?
adithorp

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Don't panic, those are relativly easy fixes.

The manual is quite definative about most things so if it says the chassis plate has to be in a certain place and it isn't then the tester has no discretion and has to fail it. If the "ball" is able to contact something and it's not radiused then it fails: if it's not QUITE got enough then he may turn a blind eye, as long as everything else is good.

The side repeater has been covered several times on here (the required angles are in the book) and the rear wing seems to be the easiest solution. Your current ones MUST be removed or ALL wiring to them removed or you'll fail again. The book says one side repeater per side.

The speedo is a bit of a mystery. Aginst what did he check it ? It should read a higher speed on the dash than actual road speed. Perhaps he got confused about over/under; It is normally done on the rollers with a print out and we all make mistakes (your other 10 fails show that). Be nice if you question it... double check it's out the right way and maybe give yourself a bit more margin (more error).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

macc man

posted on 2/4/11 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at your fail for the flexible brake pipes, it might help to fit banjo type fittings on caliper. I fitted on mine and solves this common problem of pipes fouling on supports. Best of luck with retest.

big_wasa

posted on 2/4/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I would take that as a good fail.

My mate just connected an earth to his tank with a hose clip around the breather. That passed.

Side repeaters, you can not have two pairs even if one set do not work. Best place is the rear wings if you can get them within the req' distance.

Speedo. If you can not recalibrate then fit a set of lower profile tyres. They dont have to be new.

The welding wasnt the best but the test was way more geared towards edges than structure.

Thinking about it

posted on 2/4/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Repeaters on the front wings seem ok for this one.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=152954

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.