Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pad replacement help...
j3w3ll3r

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Brake pad replacement help...

Hi Chaps,

probably going to sound like a real silly question.. but here goes..

I'm looking at replaceing my front and rear brake pads, but rather than paying someone to do them, i'd really like to try myself so i can learn... the problem being is that i've never change the brake pads on a car and i don't know really where to start after i've taken the wheel off ;-)

my guess is i need to take the cap off the brake fluid resevoir first and then somehow try to unbolt all the parts?

they are Wilwood dynalite II's i believe..

Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

snapper

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you? If someone is close and has done pads before it's worth getting them over to help.
The general principle for pads is the same, and are far easier to do then drum.
The only thing to look out for is read caliper hand brakes, some require a wind back tool.
If you are in or close to Essex, I am off for the long break.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mad-butcher

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
grinder locking tool to wind them in but you need to put pressure on the piston at the same time,bit awkward but do-able.
just wish people would put there location when asking for help would save a lot of hassle

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Take the wheel off, you will then see a spring clip, this just un clips and pulls out sideways on the Wilwood caliper, you can just see it on the left (back) of my caliper below.

You can then pull the pads out you may need to ease the piston back a littel gently with a screwdriver to loosen them up.

Very simple to be honest

[img] Front Brakes Fitted
Front Brakes Fitted
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Has to be said the front ones look insanely easy to do just remove the pin and pull the pads out. Then use a piece of wood to push the pistons back. Don't whatever you do, press the brake pedal when the pads are out or the pistons will come out, you don't want that.

Put a small smear of copper grease if you have some (no other type of grease should be used) on the back of the pads i.e. the piston facing side and just slot back in the calliper and refit the pin. Mind to watch the reservoir as when you push back pistons the level will rise and eventually it will spill brake fluid all over the place. I stuff a paper towel in there to soak up the excess fluid before I start.

The rears may be the sierra ones which need the calliper removed and the piston rotated clockwise to wind it back in as the handbrake mechanism is on a screw thread, a grinder key fits to do that job.

Any questions ask on here and you’ll be helped, don’t just guess

Good on you giving it a go

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 21/4/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Here's the sierra ones, handbrake off un bolt one of the slider bolts and swing the caliper back the piston needs winding back as previously said, the pads locate with a small lug on the back of the pad make sure that is located properly.

Close the caliper up after fitting the pads and pump the pedal about a dozen times before you operate the hand brake

[img] Rear Brakes
Rear Brakes
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

j3w3ll3r

posted on 21/4/11 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
You chaps are very helpfull - and thanks for the offer of popping over ... I am based in Brentwood, but i'm out and about all weekend so doing it when i'm free..

sounds pretty straight forward so i'll give it a try :-) and let you know how i get on..

Thanks again...

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

Frosty

posted on 21/4/11 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
The first job I ever did on a car was discs and pads. I too had never taken a wheel off (and struggled a bit with that too). It might take you 5 hours, but give it a go as it's a relitively simple job. You'll spend x amount of time on the first side, and then around 1/5th of that time on the 2nd side since you have done it once already.

It's amazing how quick you learn.

Windscreen Wipers
Need windscreen wipers for your car? Order from a friendly kit car owner.
Don't pay a garage to do them. You built a car for God's sake - I'm sure you can fit your own wipers!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.