Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vacuum Oil extractors.
bigandy

posted on 4/5/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Vacuum Oil extractors.

Morning all,

Has anyone ever used one of them vacuum extraction devices for draining an engines oil, from the top of the engine? They have a hose that is inserted down the dipstick tube I think, and thena pump to suck out the old engine oil.

I'm wondering about getting one, as changing the oil on my van is a right pain, due to having to remove a dirty great big shield that covers the underside of the engine bay....

Anyone got any recommendations for a good one?

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

mookaloid

posted on 4/5/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have seen one in use and it's good - on my birthday list!

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

contaminated

posted on 4/5/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've used one several times. Very useful pieces of kit. Also used it to drain brake resevoirs and bleed brakes!

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Bluemoon

posted on 4/5/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Not convinced they are a good idea, the bottom of the sump is not drained and that's where any sludge accumulates, if every oil change is done by sucking up the oil will sludge build up in the sump??

Dan

[Edited on 4/5/11 by Bluemoon]

britishtrident

posted on 4/5/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I use mine a lot, last year I used it when changing the sump on a Rover 45 it drained sump completely nothing left at all --- helps if you jack the car a littlle to angle the sump so the dipstick tube is at the lowest corner.

Tip buy from an online yacht chandler much cheaper, also don't buy Sealey as they just rebranded and add a premium on the price, most Chandlers sell Seago or Pela or Silverline brands ---- Silverline is cheap a cheerful OK for occaisional use but the other brands are better quality.

You can also get electric pumps see Item number: 160570991610

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coyoteboy

posted on 4/5/11 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Used it in a boat, only way to drain a BMW straight 6 when it's bolted into the back of a small hull. Seems to do the trick quite happily. Tiny residue isn't really an issue, it gets diluted each time a change is done.
sickbag

posted on 4/5/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I made my own a few years back using a washer pump and associated tubing - it took some time but worked OK. Had to go this route due to the head on the sump plug being completely chewed off and nothing was going to shift it!

Finally back on the job!

MikeRJ

posted on 4/5/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
I use one on my cars, it drains pretty much every drop out - removing the sump plug doesn't allow me to drain anything more from the engine. However, you do need to get the oil nice and hot or it takes forever, and even then it's a pretty slow operation.
a4gom

posted on 4/5/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pela one, I love it. Call at the motor factors on my way home pick up oil and filters, as soon as I get home I lift the lid stick it in and pump up the vacuum, by the time I've changed the fuel filter it's sucked all the oil out. Swap oil filter and fill it up. Sub 10mins and clean.
You can even transport the oil to the tip in the unit.

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

RazMan

posted on 4/5/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Silverline one - bought it to change a Smart Car' oil (no drain plug)
They seem to do the trick but I have no use for mine now - if someone wants to collect it

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 4/5/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Raz, I'll take it off your hands, if you don't mind!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

tony-devon

posted on 4/5/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
also a PELA owner, had a smart car once LOL

yeah they work well, most marine places sell them, I got mine from ebay

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 5/5/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
Raz, I'll take it off your hands, if you don't mind!

U2U sent

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

jacko

posted on 6/5/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Would a SU fuel pump work as a pump to remove sump oil ? i have 2 but don't want to break them if i can help it
Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.