Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pan Euro Engine Weight
60 Plymouth

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Pan Euro Engine Weight

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site - so hello! I joined because I really like the can-do attitude and because my on-paper-project has probably got more in common engineering wise with the 'book' project than anything else on the net.

I'm looking at drawing up a space framed reverse trike and I'm looking at potential powerplants. Two potential engines I am looking at are the Honda ST1100 and ST1300 V4s.

The only people I have seen transplant these motors into a car are here on this site and after a fair bit of searching I haven't found my answer, so I'm curious to know if anybody knows what these weigh in at (inc gears, clutch etc)?

Any ideas guys?

Also, for my own personal amusement, is there any video footage lurking about of a Honda V4 Locost? I'd love to see/here it actually in action.

Thanks a lot,
Conor

scootz

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Conor

I can't help you with the weight of the Pan V4's, but I suspect they will be a good bit heavier than your average bike-engine.
Not the be-all and end-all of course, but the ST1100 / ST1300 engines only make 100 / 125 bhp, so worthy of consideration.

If it HAS to be a Honda ST V4, then I would swing towards the ST1300 as the 92 ft/lbs torque it makes should compensate a bit for the relatively low bhp. The ST100 only makes 79 ft/lbs.

I flirted with the idea of a Honda V4 for my reverse-trike, but eventually settled for an Aprilia RSV-R V-twin. Light, 140bhp and dry-sumped.

Good luck with your project.

It's Evolution Baby!

James

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

Welcome to the site (or the madhouse as more commonly (accurately?) known! )

Sorry, can't answer your question but I know a man who might! If he doesn't spot your post then send a u2u to BenB as he uses this engine type I believe.

Hope the helps,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

60 Plymouth

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Part of the reason for the longitudinal V4 is packaging - I'm building a front engine RWD with a bias towards good low drag aerodynamics. The V4 squeezes up front quite nicely giving good room for a sort of recumbent seating position, and the shaft drive helps with the layout.
Also, from the cobbled-together quasi-research I've managed, it's flattish torque curve gives pretty good fuel consumption over a broad range. Reducing fuel consumption is somthing I am very keen to achieve with this design.

This is basically why the Pan appeals to me, but I am by no means dead set on it. Other engines and options are always considered.

Thanks for your help,
Conor

60 Plymouth

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

Thanks for the lead, I will in a few days!

All the best,
Conor

MakeEverything

posted on 8/5/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Hi Conor

I can't help you with the weight of the Pan V4's, but I suspect they will be a good bit heavier than your average bike-engine.
Not the be-all and end-all of course, but the ST1100 / ST1300 engines only make 100 / 125 bhp, so worthy of consideration.

If it HAS to be a Honda ST V4, then I would swing towards the ST1300 as the 92 ft/lbs torque it makes should compensate a bit for the relatively low bhp. The ST100 only makes 79 ft/lbs.

I flirted with the idea of a Honda V4 for my reverse-trike, but eventually settled for an Aprilia RSV-R V-twin. Light, 140bhp and dry-sumped.

Good luck with your project.

Whilst not the most powerful engine, what a lovely smooth drive it would be.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

davebic

posted on 16/5/11 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
pan euro engine

My ST 1100 engined phoenix was on the rolling road last week (finally got it something like!) now jetted about right but the gearing is a bit of an issue- flat out 8800 revs -100mph so I now need to check out the Sierra Diff ratio (thought it was about 3.6/1) .I thought the engine was around 95kg??- my car comes in at 540kg less driver.
cheers Dave

Bladerunner

posted on 16/5/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Pan Euro

The only kit car maker I know who worked with the Pan Euro engine was Stuart Taylor, which is now Aries Motorsport, they had a test bed using this engine and it had two sets of carburators. Very fast through the gears with an overdrive crusing gear when in sixth. The only problem was it is a very tall engine.

Adventure before Dementia

60 Plymouth

posted on 16/5/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. BenB came up with around 85kg so 90kg seems to be the ballpark.

Interesting to hear about Stuart Taylor trying other carbs. I was wondering whether I could play with alternative carbs. Might be able to make somthing that makes the induction set up a bit lower - anybody know just how hi it is, from pan to top of rocker covers and also from pan to top of airbox?

Thanks guys,
60 Ply

davebic

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
ST1100

Checked last night...engine to top of cam covers is 22 in, the carbs and plenum add another 6 in and mine has an ITG sponge filter on top of that - another 2.5 in. Hope that helps Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.