Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine weight?
littlefeller

posted on 14/5/11 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
engine weight?

anybody know the weight of a h22a vtec engne and gearbox?
daniel mason

posted on 14/5/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
no but my f20c with rwd box was not light. tall engines!

littlefeller

posted on 14/5/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
which box did you use? does the f engines crank run the other way like the h22?
daniel mason

posted on 14/5/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
f20c has rear drive box so im using that. it spins the correct way but im also using the s2000 diff and shortened propshaft

littlefeller

posted on 14/5/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
shame, still trying to figure how to use the h22 as rwd without doing a complete mid engine build, although i do like the idea of the mid, but dont really have the funds for a complete build
daniel mason

posted on 14/5/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
sell the engine mate. its not really an option,in my opinion.

littlefeller

posted on 14/5/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
cant sell it, it takes me to work everyday
daniel mason

posted on 14/5/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
so you dont need to use it then. get a cheap 2.0 zetec or something and use that. a good budget option.

littlefeller

posted on 14/5/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
after owning many fords (wish i had kept my siera in the guarage now instead of scrapping it a few years back) and now my honda of many years there just is no comparison. still not giving up yet, although if i do buy a cheaper option i would prob get lazy and just use it with the ford engine. my last ford wore a cam chain shaped hole in the block
daniel mason

posted on 14/5/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
the honda engines are great.there was only ever one option for me once i saw pwl's mnr.i had to go the s2000 route. i bought a damaged 2003 car with 25,000 miles for just over £3k. i have easily re-couped £1.5k and still have loads of bits left. so i have the complete steering wheel/column adapted to suit the mnr,diff,drive shafts,prop shaft,handbrake,engine/loom,and gearbox for under £1.5k so id say bang for buck its a great and viable option. you can easily pay £1.5k for a bike motor + £500 for reverse box + power commander so i think ie done ok

littlefeller

posted on 14/5/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
thats a good option (s2000). there getting cheaper too. what sort of size are they?. there a lot of parts you could use from a s2000. i must admit the reliability of my honda is second to none, its fun to drive too which is why i wanted to use as a donor. i supose the answer to this is to have a programable valve train for the ford engine - does such a thing exist?
ok just seen the size of the s2000 in your pics, wonder why more builders are not using these motors

[Edited on 14/5/11 by littlefeller]

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 14/5/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have an S2000 that would be perfect to you. 2000 JDM spec (Higher power engine - higher comp ratio) car that has done 58000 miles (The 20,000 miles of which I owned it, it had about 5 engine oil & filter changes on Castrol edge and 3 gearbox/diff oil changes, plus all bolts greased, tappets done etc etc all documented too). The JDM will offer you up less wiring issues because it negates a factory immobiliser and certain sensors.

Car is complete (minus seats), drives (No MOT or Tax) and could be yours for £3650.

Let me know if you're interested

franky

posted on 15/5/11 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by littlefeller
thats a good option (s2000). there getting cheaper too. what sort of size are they?. there a lot of parts you could use from a s2000. i must admit the reliability of my honda is second to none, its fun to drive too which is why i wanted to use as a donor. i supose the answer to this is to have a programable valve train for the ford engine - does such a thing exist?
ok just seen the size of the s2000 in your pics, wonder why more builders are not using these motors

People don't like using motors that are not normally installed. Its great news though as it makes awesome engines affordable options.

Bare

posted on 15/5/11 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
You can instantly tell which way your Honda engine rotates simply by opening the engine compartment lid and looking :-)
The Correct rotation (for rear wheel drive) Is when the transmission/clutch end faces the right hand side of the car, when standing directly in front of the car.
Previous (*before 2006) Honda engines had the trans on the left side .
S2000 is a Very Tall engine, problematically so, IMO and it's also a surprisingly heavy Lump.
Frankly I'd opt for a Saab turbo unit in preference...Much More power.. similar (arguably less) weight and almost free to buy as bonus.
ECU remapping of the Very sophisticated Saab Trionc is a doddle and Freely available as DIY.

[Edited on 15/5/11 by Bare]

littlefeller

posted on 15/5/11 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
the thing with the vtec is you dont have to use the vtec unless you want too, with fuel prices the way they are its a great bonus, bit like having a turbo you can toggle on and off. my kit needs to be a daily drive not just for the odd summer day. if it was then engine choice would be endless maybe even a nissan turbo engine and drive, or maybe a mid using the mr2 turbo. but as fuel prices just keep rising a turbos are out. i once managed 40mpg in my honda, although i was using cruse controll going down the m5 to exeter. though this is one thing going for the ford option, my old siera was quite economical with the dohc efi engine.
mine is defo on the left as it was built in 1992, but still only has around 100k but this is in km not miles.

[Edited on 15/5/11 by littlefeller]

daniel mason

posted on 15/5/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
the s2000 lump fits the mnr easily and the bonnet goes on with no mods whatsoever. groung clearence is also very good, (better than my R1 engined car i had previously.) so its not problematic at all. i would rather use the f20c than any saab lump.they are a very advanced engine,and sream like hell

nz_climber

posted on 9/6/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a honda engine, the K20 or K22 engines are an option, they spin the right way, and I know the maker of a cast gearbox bellhousing that currently fits a toyota w series, and in the process of modifying it for a type 9/quaife.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.