Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Single Seater?
sprouts-car

posted on 19/5/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Single Seater?

Does anyone know when the single seater book is coming out? linky

Looks like a great little car, would love to read the book (look at the pics ).

Hope the project hasn't been shelved

Build blog

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/11 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
looked into this, don't think much is happening and it was so promising too

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 19/5/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I don't understand why the people that are interested haven't got together and designed and built there own. A few photos here and there, a dictaphone and typist to record some details etc. build one each or one between three people that are loacated close enough to each other in a central location or web-cam'd up garages etc split info about everything reverse engineer any changes.

You'd get a bulk buy on everything from brakes and wheels to seats etc so it could be done to a speccific budget.

You could even get a one-make race series out of it! (OK that's a bit of a stretch but why not!)

I'm not sure whether the person that's made the bodywork for the Haynes one is contracted to only sell after the book is launched so that could be a bulk buy of bodywork sorted and everyone would know where all the mounting points would be etc

I think it would be a relatively simple challenge...

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
have to admit the lotus chassis was very simple but the body would still be quite an investment to mould

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
handyandy

posted on 19/5/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
The Single Seater bodywork is complete & ready, moulds are finished & has had a full set of bodywork taken from the moulds, & it looks fantastic

Its just a case of waiting for the book to be released.

cheers
andy

mad-butcher

posted on 19/5/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
If my memory isn't failing me too quickly wasn't it Triton that did the bodywork,
I was seriously thinking of gutting my spare MK and as the wheelbase and track of the MK works well using them as base measurements just have to make longer top front wishbones to get them more inboard.

tony

StevieB

posted on 19/5/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
You could just build a terrapin instead - plans and book still available from the Staniforth family.

Plus, the terrapin already has years of accomplishment behind it and can be had in various forms (including bike engined variants).

handyandy

posted on 19/5/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
If my memory isn't failing me too quickly wasn't it Triton that did the bodywork,

tony

Your memory hasn,t failed you Tony........Triton started the Single Seater bodywork Buck/mould thingy but has been finished by Saturn Sports Cars when they purchased all the moulds for the Haynes Roadster & Single Seater from Triton.

Great work done by both Triton & Saturn has resulted in a lovely shaped bodywork kit for the Single Seater

I too am itching to build one too .

cheers
andy

sprouts-car

posted on 19/5/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Can't afford the time, money or space for one anytime soon. Just want the book

Build blog

Triton

posted on 19/5/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well I suppose I better say something about what we have been working on for the last few months:

A 1960's F1/FJ single seater, strictly bike powered for the noise and rush. The round tube chassis has been cad/cam designed to ensure accuracy, all tubes will be laser cut to maintain accuracy during fabrication. Fabricated front and rear uprights, quaiffe chain driven diff and fully adjustable pedal box.

Mock up chassis has just been finalised and plug started. So providing the world doesn't turn inside out the aim is to have the car at Exeter show later this year...

I'm sure I'm not the only 40 something who thinks he was born too late and this is for me as much as anyone else who just loves 60's F1 cars.

[Edited on 19/5/11 by Triton]

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

jabbahutt

posted on 20/5/11 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
So does this mean the Haynes book is shelved and this single seater kit replaces it?

Triton

posted on 20/5/11 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
So does this mean the Haynes book is shelved and this single seater kit replaces it?

No idea what is happening with the Haynes Single seater, I passed the unfinished plug onto to Saturn 18 months ago when I sold my Haynes Roadster moulds and this wee beastie bears no resemblance to it in any shape or form.

We started with blank screen but with definite ideas on how it was to look, chassis is all round tube and the body work is inspired by those seriously pretty F1 cars of the 60's. Originally only ever going to be two cars but been persuaded to offer it as a kit.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

ceebmoj

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
sounds very interesting do you have any pictures?
m8kwr

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
the only images that I have every found are these. HTH

Unsure when its coming out though, I think it might even be next year now

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ymIHyMgWL._SS500_.jpg

Bluemoon

posted on 31/5/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
You could just build a terrapin instead - plans and book still available from the Staniforth family.

Plus, the terrapin already has years of accomplishment behind it and can be had in various forms (including bike engined variants).

Also wondering why not as well, it's been well tested and designed and proven.. I would bee looking there first..

[Edited on 31/5/11 by Bluemoon]

ceebmoj

posted on 3/6/11 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
We started with blank screen but with definite ideas on how it was to look, chassis is all round tube and the body work is inspired by those seriously pretty F1 cars of the 60's. Originally only ever going to be two cars but been persuaded to offer it as a kit.

Do you have any pictures we can have a peek at?

spud69

posted on 16/8/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Single Seater Developments

Hi All,

Just to keep everybody upto date we have some progress on the build of the Haynes Single Seater design and build:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6903

The link explains all the the new developments and will now see the project to the end. AND hopefully do Chris proud in his project.

There has also been some further developments around the Mx5 as donor and should help to extend the longevity of the Haynes roadster brand, these have been ongoing for a while and have only recently been able to put these to market:

http://www.saturnsportscars.co.uk/mx5.php

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5753&page=15

Regards....Andrew

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.