Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Network Media Streamers?
RazMan

posted on 29/5/11 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Network Media Streamers?

I have been using a WD TV Live Media Streamer for a while now but I think the time has come to upgrade to a more up to date version which is more user friendly and compatible with more formats.

I need HDMI, on board storage and network connectivity - any recommendations chaps?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 30/5/11 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
WDTV Live and NAS drive

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 30/5/11 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
I picked up an emachine ER1402 which is acers version of the Revo nettops. It was £99 delivered from Ebuyer but was on special a few weeks ago. It seems to come up regularly.

1.7 single core but its geforce 9200 can handle 1080p via hardware so takes the load off the cpu.

2gb DDR3, 250gb hdd, vga, hdmi,spdif out, wireless b/g/n,bluetooth, built in card reader etc etc. Quiet as a mouse with a vesa mount to attach it to the back of your lcd/plasma - looks good too. Installed win7 then XBMC and can play any format going right upto ripped mkv's at 1080p over network or attached storage.

I've added the youtube, iplayer and catchup tv pluggins to XBMC and roughly have all bases now covered. Just watched a couple of films streamed over the network tonight all controlled from my android smartphone as a remote control

The revos can do the same job and come in the dual core variety. Roughly I highly recommend a nettop coupled with XBMC

Cheers

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

RazMan

posted on 30/5/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
WDTV Live and NAS drive

That's what I am using now - not too happy with the user interface so I want something more user (numpty) friendly

MrG - So this is a standalone 'puter which is plumbed into the HD TV via the HDMI interface? Do you need a monitor screen & keyboard to make it play video or is this done with the remote control? I assume it uses Media Player?

[Edited on 30-5-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Mr G

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Yes its a small silent PC that hooks upto your HD TV either through HDMI or VGA (D-sub) Mine came with small wired keyboard and mouse. Some versions come with a wireless keyboard & mouse.

XBMC is the free open source media player that will give you the functionality of your current WD media streamer plus much more in a very nice skinable interface which you can change the look of to suit your taste.

Your best bet is to have a look on youtube at the various videos for xbmc to see if its your cup of tea or not EXAMPLE.

Video of xbmc running the youtube,iplayer and tvcatchup plug ins HERE

The beauty of it running on a mini pc is the ability to also use browsers to sniff round the net via your tv.

For controlling it you can use something like a Rii mini which is a wifi or bluetooth (depends what model you get) mini keyboard with built in trackpad.

You can also use remote controls like the microsoft mce one with an IR dongle plugged in. As mentioned in my first post I use my phone to control xbmc which compliments it very nicely.

Cheers

G

[Edited on 30/5/11 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

RazMan

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Wow thanks for all the info - you have certainly given me something to think about.

I have found a relatively new gizmo called the PopBox which is quite simple to use - SWMBO's a bit 'button challenged' if you know what I mean

Cheers,
Raz

m8kwr

posted on 30/5/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the xtreamer - xtreamer.net

I have the sidewinder which plays everything, including DVD iso files. I streamer media from my computer, or from its internal hard drive.

I find it easy to use, even my wife can use it!

When i first looked into a media streamer I read about the WD and popcorn, but went for this, but it was more down to this been cheaper and played all format - i do not regret it, and its used everyday without fail!!!!

I am thinking about upgrading the ultra.

Dangle_kt

posted on 30/5/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I stream via my xbox360.

Works fine, and couldn't be simpler.

RazMan

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the ideas guys. After some research I have invested in the PopBox - mainly because it appears to be SWMBO friendly and even appears to get info on your titles from tinternet and gives you the info on screen while browsing, making it easier for her to choose a film rather than asking me 'what's it about?' type questions all the time.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.