Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: shallow sump
hucky

posted on 9/6/11 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
shallow sump

i have just had my sump made about 3" shorter. would adding an oil cooler give me the oil im now short of? i dont want to go down the dry sump route yet mainly due to the expence of it. but i was thinking that if the oil cooler system took about a liter of oil would that be enough for the engine?

cheers
chris

edsco

posted on 9/6/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Is it for a bec? I have had the same done on the ZX12, but have baffled it to help prevent oil surge. Like yourself, the expense of dry sumping or acusump is slightly cost prohibitive, so went for baffling it for the time being. I was told, cant remember who know, but to just over fill the engine by about 1/4 or 1/2 a litre of oil to be on the safe side. Whether this advice is correct or not i am sure someone will pull me up on it or confirm its correct.

At the very minimum, make sure its baffled.

edsco

ashg

posted on 9/6/11 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't over fill it as it will hit the crank and froth up the oil making air bubbles in the oil causing the oil starvation you are trying to prevent.

it would have to be a really big oil cooler to hold even 0.5l of oil then you run into the danger of over cooling the oil.

the best solution is to wing the sump out to the sides to regain capacity but you will need more baffles to stop it sloshing about.

another solution is an accusump, less expensive than a dry sump system but more costly than more sump mods.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

dhutch

posted on 9/6/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i wouldn't over fill it as it will hit the crank and froth up the oil making air bubbles in the oil causing the oil starvation you are trying to prevent.

it would have to be a really big oil cooler to hold even 0.5l of oil then you run into the danger of over cooling the oil.

I guess it depends how close the crank is to normal levals and how long the pipe work is to the oil cooler!

hucky

posted on 9/6/11 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
ill see what i can do sump wise about getting it altered again then just to be on the safe side

cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.