Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec conversion - parts list confirmation
se7ensport

posted on 25/6/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Flywheel is from turbosport.net; £195 delivered, which is pretty good value & quality is spot on. It's designed to take the pinto clutch which is a bonus as I'd already bought a heavy duty set up to go on the pinto.

[Edited on 25/6/11 by se7ensport]

Furyous

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be watching this thread closely because I'm hoping to do a Duratec conversion in a Le Mans bonnet Fury later in the year. Would you mind listing where you bought the parts from?

My main concern is fitting the engine under the bonnet without cutting holes. Does the Raceline sump reduce the height? Have you measured up clearances?

Is this going on a Type 9 gearbox?

Make sure you take lots of photos, especially of any problems you have.

se7ensport

posted on 27/6/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
I'll be watching this thread closely because I'm hoping to do a Duratec conversion in a Le Mans bonnet Fury later in the year. Would you mind listing where you bought the parts from?

My main concern is fitting the engine under the bonnet without cutting holes. Does the Raceline sump reduce the height? Have you measured up clearances?

Is this going on a Type 9 gearbox?

Make sure you take lots of photos, especially of any problems you have.

Engine mounts and exhaust manifold are from FastDan on here (and ebay), sump is direct from Raceline, bellhousing, pivot, clutch release arm and bearing are from RWD motorsport, clutch plate, cover and flywheel bolts from Burtons, flywheel from turbosport.net

Sump reduces height by approx 3 inches and I'm using the type 9 box. It should fit in the space height wise (sloping bonnet doesnt help though), the bit I'm unsure on is if the engine will sit too high or low on the mountings as they are designed for a locost chassis.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 27/6/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have just fitted my Duratec in an Avon and had the problem of it sitting too high on the engine mounts. I had to get smaller rubbers (25mm) to drop it down and it should all now fit.

Mark

Tiger Avon

neilp1

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
I have just fitted my Duratec in an Avon and had the problem of it sitting too high on the engine mounts. I had to get smaller rubbers (25mm) to drop it down and it should all now fit.

Mark where did you get the smaller rubbers from?

Neil

se7ensport

posted on 27/6/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to put the request out there early: does anyone have a duratec spark map that they are willing to share??? Any format will work as I'll manually convert it.

Thanks
Alex

Tiger Super Six

posted on 27/6/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
From a company called robush.co.uk it's 75mm diameter, 25mm thick and m12 threads coming out of it. Also has metal plates top and bottom.

quote:
Originally posted by neilp1
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six

Mark where did you get the smaller rubbers from?

Neil

Mark

Tiger Avon

FASTdan

posted on 28/6/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
I'm going to put the request out there early: does anyone have a duratec spark map that they are willing to share??? Any format will work as I'll manually convert it.

Thanks
Alex

If you have any luck on this please let me know, we currently run a stock zetec one.

[Edited on 28/6/11 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Nitrogeno25

posted on 28/6/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
quote:

Thanks
Alex

If you have any luck on this please let me know, we currently run a stock zetec one.

[Edited on 28/6/11 by FASTdan]

I'm interested too, please let me know.

I read most uses a zetec map, but I don't know how much power they re getting.

Thanks.

se7ensport

posted on 28/6/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec ignition map

okay, after an evening of surfing and messing about with emerald software I've got a copy of Duratec map based on the following spec (curtesy of http://k80rum.co.uk/emerald_maps.aspx):
2,0 Duratec. 296o cams, Jenvey 45 TBs, grouped Bosch 155 968 injectors @ 3.7Bar in TBs, forged pistons, steel rods

I would expect the cams to change it slightly, but I should be a closer ignition map than a Zetec.

Duratec on left, Zetec on the right
[img] duratec v zetec
duratec v zetec
[/img]

Duratec ignition advance, once I've manually transposed these in to excel I'll post a link for others:

duratec part 1
duratec part 1

duratec part 2
duratec part 2

pjay

posted on 29/6/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alex - missed your request. Here's my current Spark Advance Table on a standard 2.0L Duratec. It's pretty basic but seems to run well:

se7ensport

posted on 29/6/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks pjay, interesting to see that yours is a much flatter map than the ones I found. I'm hoping a few others will post theirs so that they can be tried and compared.

Alex

FASTdan

posted on 29/6/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
okay, after an evening of surfing and messing about with emerald software I've got a copy of Duratec map based on the following spec (curtesy of http://k80rum.co.uk/emerald_maps.aspx):
2,0 Duratec. 296o cams, Jenvey 45 TBs, grouped Bosch 155 968 injectors @ 3.7Bar in TBs, forged pistons, steel rods

I would expect the cams to change it slightly, but I should be a closer ignition map than a Zetec.

Duratec on left, Zetec on the right
[img] duratec v zetec
duratec v zetec
[/img]

Duratec ignition advance, once I've manually transposed these in to excel I'll post a link for others:

duratec part 1
duratec part 1

duratec part 2
duratec part 2

Excellent work there!! Thats the one I had downloaded but then hit the stumbling block of not having the correct emerald software to read it - although a very kind user on here sent me a copy I've not had chance to install or interrogate it yet.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big-vee-twin

posted on 30/6/11 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Watching with mucho interest

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

pjay

posted on 30/6/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Alex - yes it's pretty flat and I imagine quite conservative.

I decided to work on the basis of a maximum of 26 degrees advance because of the design of the combustion chamber/spark plug position etc. (although I'm not an expert). The actual profile is pretty much straight out of MegaTune.

I'm hoping to get to a rolling road in the next couple of months and will see what modifications they make - but also interested to see what else might be posted.

Cheers
Pete

[Edited on 2/7/11 by pjay]

se7ensport

posted on 2/7/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec oil filter

Now I've got the sump on it appears that I don't need to relocate my oil filter, I was expecting it to be the lowest point on the engine but it isn't, by at least 10mm. Have Ford changed the design of the housing or is the filter shorter?

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

karlak

posted on 3/7/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Now I've got the sump on it appears that I don't need to relocate my oil filter, I was expecting it to be the lowest point on the engine but it isn't, by at least 10mm. Have Ford changed the design of the housing or is the filter shorter?

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Looks good. Is it a standard Duratec Filter.

I was ordering the raceline Filter housing tomorrow, but may hold off now till I get the sump fitted.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

big-vee-twin

posted on 3/7/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Just been out to look at mine, the standard Duratec oil filer housing has a heat exchanger built in on the ST150.

However looking at the engine in relation to the bottom chassis rail I think your filter will foul the rail even though it is above the sump level.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

se7ensport

posted on 3/7/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec oil filter part number

Its the standard filter from a 2009 Focus, FINIS number 1595247, part number 1S7E-6714-BA.

Luckily I don't have a chassis bar in the way that will foul it as it's a Stylus chassis rather than a seven, unfortunatley it also means the engine mounts I bought from FastDan aren't going to fit as they will be too narrow. I'll be aligning the engine next weekend and deciding what to do for the mounts, will probably be buying the plates from Dan and making the rest in situe (end result will mean my engine mounts will be up for sale).

On a similar note the dipstick location on the Raceline sump isn't great, it comes out directly below the engine mounts, the only way to get a dipstick in currently would be to drill a hole through the mount!!! Needless to say I'll be factoring in a mod to my mounts.

big-vee-twin

posted on 3/7/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I found that out on my Dunnell sump, the solution was to cut a section of the dip stick tube out and replace with a rubber tube between the ends to bend around the mount.

Better to mod the mount though.

se7ensport

posted on 16/7/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well engine went in tonight (wooden engine mount on crank for time being), I'd been waiting on 4 bloody bolts for the alloy bellhousing for two weeks! Pretty hard to track down as i needed M12x50 with 1.50 pitch thread, the original bolts were too short.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

I have a couple of challenges to overcome:

1. engine alignment is off to the passenger side due to drivers footwell, this means alternator and oil filter no longer fit! Some effort with a lump hammer on the footwell and a bit of grinder action to the bellhousing might allow the alternator to fit again, but oil filter wont unless I move the engine forward, easily doable but weight distribution suffers.

2. think a new bonnet bulge may be needed, although final engine height is yet to be decided up on.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

radom

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thanks
Alex

at the bottom of the page
http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/dtas80_tech.shtml

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/7/11 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
You could consider a low profile Duratec cam cover to see if that allows your bonnet to fit.
Not the cheapest out there but may save you some hassle with the bonnet

se7ensport

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec ignition map

quote:
Originally posted by radom
quote:

Thanks
Alex

at the bottom of the page
http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/dtas80_tech.shtml

Thats brilliant, thanks for pointing that out, I'd been through his site before and found other info, but missed that!

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Engine info (198.9bhp@7000rpm):
2.0 L Duratec
IW030 Injectors
Tony Law manifold
4-2-1 Exhaust
Standard Engine Internals
Standard 3bar Fuel Pressure
Titan Roller Barrels
Sequential COP and Injectors
Coil per plug OFF
Twin Spark ON
Sequential Injection OFF

source: http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/dtas80_tech.shtml

[Edited on 17/7/11 by se7ensport]

[Edited on 17/7/11 by se7ensport]

se7ensport

posted on 17/7/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
You could consider a low profile Duratec cam cover to see if that allows your bonnet to fit.
Not the cheapest out there but may save you some hassle with the bonnet

Would be good if they provided some details about it's height... using the cam sensor as a comparison it does look lower overall, but the height of the COP might be a problem.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.