Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec conversion - parts list confirmation
se7ensport

posted on 1/1/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly started

Finally got a couple of days to work on the car.

I'm having a few issues in getting it started that should be resolved tomorrow once i've checked the timing with a helper - is there a timing mark on the crank for checking with a timing light?

Moving to coil on plug without a cam sync sensor means I'll have to run it as wasted spark initially; my cam cover looks as though there is a plastic planking plate that should unscrew with a 10mm socket, having tried it feels as though the plastic bolt head will sheer - anyone know how this removes?

Cheers
Alex

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/1/12 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yours looks different to mine but it just un-screws, you can see the one on my engine in my photos

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

pjay

posted on 2/1/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked inside the cam cover since I'm guessing there's some sort of sandwiched piece to create a good oil seal and it may need loosening from inside?
se7ensport

posted on 2/1/12 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Not yet, had been reluctant to remove cover unnecessarily. Is it just a gasket or does it need special gasket compound?
big-vee-twin

posted on 2/1/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has a rubber o ring type gasket located in a groove

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

se7ensport

posted on 2/1/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
RUNNING!

Finally got it started today!

Only ticking over, but without a silencer fitted I've got little chance of tuning it. The old silencer was 4inch diameter and sat within the sill, the new one is 6inch and will be partially exposed, I've taken the biggest step in cutting out the sill, but the weather and light got the better of me for today:
Plays Kool exhaust
Plays Kool exhaust

Sill: before
Sill: before

Sill: after
Sill: after

I've ordered a cam sensor and will take off the cam cover in the week to see if the blank unscrews from the inside.

big-vee-twin

posted on 2/1/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bet you had to summon up courage to do that, I've been looking at the Quantum manifold for my car, Do you have any pics of yours I could look at, is your chassis similar to a Seven beneath the bodywork, just trying to gauge if it would fit.

se7ensport

posted on 7/1/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Quantom manifold

Pics as requested (mine is a se7en in a pretty frock):
manifold 2
manifold 2

manifold 3
manifold 3

manifold 4
manifold 4

manifold
manifold

Measurments are from cylinderhead to inner pipes 14.5inch, to the outside pipes 18inch.

Note: I have relocated the lambda boss from the bottom of the pipe to the top.

[Edited on 7/1/12 by se7ensport]

big-vee-twin

posted on 7/1/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
That looks very well made, many thanks and for the measurements I will go and check and then speak to Quantum

Kev

se7ensport

posted on 29/1/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust mounted

Exhaust is now mounted, the link pipe I had made up was perfectly straight, it turned out that I needed it to be a couple of mm out of true to pull the rear of the can back in line with the body work; a cut, bend and weld fixed this:

Exhaust mount 2
Exhaust mount 2

I've had a new tail pipe welded on, it's a slightly larger diameter, but more importantly it is a much tighter bend meaning it doesn't protrude too far towards the rear wheel.

Exhaust mount 1
Exhaust mount 1

Exhaust new tail pipe
Exhaust new tail pipe

I now need to remove the silencer to lag the sill with heat reflective matting and add some strengthening strips of alloy to the rear body work, once in place I can then cut bodywork to final alignment.

[Edited on 29/1/12 by se7ensport]

big-vee-twin

posted on 30/1/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good mate, I bought a Quantum exhaust myself from front to back here's a picture.

Thanks for the pics

[img] Exhaust Fitted
Exhaust Fitted
[/img]

se7ensport

posted on 31/1/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Looking good mate, I bought a Quantum exhaust myself from front to back here's a picture.

Thanks for the pics

Complete exhaust system; practically cheating!

Looks a great fit though.

big-vee-twin

posted on 31/1/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Its a pretty good fit not perfect but good enough as they say - Ablind man would be glad to see it!

Also when you consider it was going to cost over a £1000.00 and a trailer to have a custom one built I think it was a bargain.

se7ensport

posted on 3/3/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Missing spigot bearing...

Well missing a spigot bearing can't be good; I'm seriously pi$$ed with RWD Motorsport, but minimal damage seems to have been done.

I found a small amount of swarf in the end of the crank shaft where the bearing should be, from inspecting all of the possible parts only the edge of the clutch plate teeth shows wear:

AP Clutch plate
AP Clutch plate

AP Clutch plate 2
AP Clutch plate 2

Engine is back in, but ran out of time to connect everything back up and I need some more silicon hose to complete the job as I'm re-routing the pipework to allow fitment of an anti-roll bar.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 8/3/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why is it RWD's fault that you didn't put a spigot bearing in the end of the crank?

Mark

Tiger Avon

se7ensport

posted on 8/3/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
Why is it RWD's fault that you didn't put a spigot bearing in the end of the crank?

Please note the title of this thread, I paid RWD to provide all parts to connect a Duratec to a type 9 box with the exception of the flywheel and clutch. I specifically asked them to confirm and supply all remaining parts needed, they confirmed this would be: bellhousing, thrust bearing, thrust bearing pivot, clutch arm and gearbox bolts. They also forgot to supply the spacer bolt that goes in the back of their bellhousing to prevent the layshaft from falling out of a type 9 box, so I have had to take the engine out twice because of a lack of diligence and instructions on their part.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 9/3/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I found that they were helpful, but Ian is not quite as efficient as say the likes of raceline. I am guessing because you bought the clutch setup elswhere they just thought of the parts relating to the bellhousing. I got my bellhousing from them and it had the layshaft fitted, but they didn't provide the cap heads to bolt it to the actual gearbox. They appear to miss some of the finer details.

Mark

Tiger Avon

se7ensport

posted on 7/4/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
FIRST DRIVE!

Engine conversion is now complete; I'd hoped it would take 2mths, instead it was just shy of 10mths and budget went over by 40%!

I took the car for it's first drive yesterday and it feels really sweet, will need a rolling road session to get the most out of the engine, but for the time being it's good enough.

Final list of parts and prices:
Engine £800
Engine Mounts £30
Exhaust manifold £250
Silencer £300
Sump £400
Bell housing £330
flywheel £195
clutch £140
spigot bearing £10
Inlet manifold and TB's £435
Airbox and filter £90
Alternator £200
Alternator mount £20
ARP Bolts £40
Oil filter relocation £105
Silicone hoses £100
Odds and sods £150
Total £3,595

I now have the first and only Stylus running a Duratec!

pjay

posted on 7/4/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Great news and well done!

Can you post some pics of the final result?

itsawindupuk

posted on 7/4/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
brilliant, well done!! im hoping my duratec mgb will be on road soon. ive test drove it a few times but the bell housing came loose from the gearbox so im having to sort that out.
se7ensport

posted on 10/4/12 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Took the Stylus for it's MOT today.

Everything went well with the new engine, straight through the emissions test although not as low as I expected on the hydrocarbons: it registered .70 at 1.07 lambda, modern cars get around 0.02, is this the effect of the CAT?

Duratec on the road
Duratec on the road

Duratec on the road 2
Duratec on the road 2

Duratec on the road 3
Duratec on the road 3

Unfortunately it failed the MOT due to lack of brake lights; the bloody pressure switch had packed up from a lack of use!

big-vee-twin

posted on 10/4/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to see it finished, mines up and running now

se7ensport

posted on 19/7/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
COMPLETED

Finally got it rolling roaded having blown an ECU and a coil pack on the last attempt.

216bhp and 170lbft at the flywheel

Rolling Road
Rolling Road

In addition to the list above I have now fitted Bosch 440CC (Blue Giant) fuel injectors.

I have a spare set of 4 that I might be parting with as I bought 8 intending to run 4 in the head and 4 in the throttle bodies but it got too complicated.

[Edited on 19/7/12 by se7ensport]

big-vee-twin

posted on 19/7/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a great rewsult, sort of helps make all the pain go away of doing the conversion

Fantasic, summers about to start and you can enjoy all that power.

karlak

posted on 19/7/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
That is a superb result.

Was this with standard 2litre internals ? I cant recall.

I want mine ready now!!!

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.