Author: Subject: Wind deflectors
David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Wind deflectors

No, not tougher underpants...

Once again I'm thinking of adding a pair of these to my windscreen:

Wind deflector
Wind deflector

(Apologies to whoever took this photo - I can't remember who you are!)

I do prefer having a full windscreen instead of fly-screens, and most of the time it offers all the protection I need. However, I do get buffeted when going at 70-ish. I don't want doors, so maybe this is the only option remaining.

So, the first question is - do screens like this help to reduce the buffeting?

And the second question is - where would I get the hinges from?

I presume that I should use a tough plastic like Lexan for the clear bit.

All help appreciated!

(I know that I've asked this info in the past, but I can't find that thread any more...)

YQUSTA

posted on 16/6/11 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hinges can be bought from CBS.

EDIT
Or google Lift off hinge lots there including these which come in different sizes.

[Edited on 16/6/11 by YQUSTA]

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

BenB

posted on 16/6/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
They certainly do help buffeting. I used Caterham hinges on the basis that they're cheap from Caterham (or relatively) and they fit the Caterham side supports. I used some polycarbonate that some kindly left outside my garage to make them.

the main problem with the ones I've got is that they have a tendency to ride up off the hinges due to the airflow at speed and the rake of the windscreen. Ended up tieing them down with string

BenB

posted on 16/6/11 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Aha- I see the person in the photo has replaced the top hinge with a bolt- cunning thinking. Would stop them lifting off at speed nicely.
David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA
Or google Lift off hinge lots there including these which come in different sizes.

I tried them a while ago - they wouldn't sell small quantities...

Looked at the CBS ones - they'd do the job, but they wouldn't be 'stiff' - I guess I'd have to put a bolt down them instead of the existing pin.

[Edited on 16/6/11 by David Jenkins]

David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Aha- I see the person in the photo has replaced the top hinge with a bolt- cunning thinking. Would stop them lifting off at speed nicely.

Ben - I thought my picture was of your car! (but I wasn't sure...)

rusty nuts

posted on 16/6/11 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are made from 1mm Lexan bolted directly to the screen support with no hinges just button headed screws . Made a cardboard template, cut the Lexan to size,clamped it in a sheet metal bender and used a hot air gun to warm it whilst applying light pressure on the bender. Been on around 3 years now and only just starting to crack and whiten
David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mel,

That's a thought...

BTW: I found my old thread on the very same subject! I thought I was suffering from deja vu...

Old thread

(Google search beat this site's search facility...)

After googling, I found these from Holden:

I shan't be buying these at £54 each but that hinge design looks very easy to adapt... I wonder if I've got some square section stainless in my scrapbox?

Thanks for all the suggestions today (and from last year too!)

David

[Edited on 16/6/11 by David Jenkins]

johnq

posted on 16/6/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try stevel ,lancashire area organiser on the wssc site he makes a nice job (tell him i sent you, as for hinges, westy sidescreen ones are perfect ;also a good tip is to fit the top hinge slightly out of line,this will make the action stiffer and reduce the chance of them blowing off,

looks like rain again

rusty nuts

posted on 16/6/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
David, I got an offcut 1mt x 300mm of Lexan from our local engineering plastics supplier for a fiver, well worth a bit of time and effort. Not sure of the benefit of hinges other than being able to just lift them off but mine can be remove in seconds
Humbug

posted on 16/6/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Mine are made from 1mm Lexan bolted directly to the screen support with no hinges just button headed screws . Made a cardboard template, cut the Lexan to size,clamped it in a sheet metal bender and used a hot air gun to warm it whilst applying light pressure on the bender. Been on around 3 years now and only just starting to crack and whiten

1mm is awfully thin!

I have had Lexan wind deflectors two ways:

1. bolted to the screen support and bent as above

2. fixed with side screen hinges - the issue there is that they obviously don't stay in position, so I made a bend at the bottom and put some U trim on the bit which touched the side of the car.

I would prefer to be able to bend them in and out but I haven't seen those Cobra hinges except on Cobra deflectors which are somewhat pricy. The deflectors bolted direct and bent to shape works better overall and is cleaner looking, somehow.

rusty nuts

posted on 16/6/11 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

1mm is awfully thin!

But it was cheap! only tried them to see if they were effective and has lasted for 3 years or so

David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
So what would be a decent thickness if I did the deflectors that way? 3mm, 5mm, or what?

(BTW: I'm starting to see the merits of the Rusty Nuts methodology... )

BenB

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Ben - I thought my picture was of your car! (but I wasn't sure...)

Nah- that's much too clean

David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
OK - I'm going for the 'directly bolted, no hinge' method of mounting. Today I've made a card template that I think will be fit for purpose, so all I need to get is some polycarbonate sheet.

Just one possible issue - on the passenger side, if the deflector is going to be of any use then it will end up between me and the nearside mirror. This means I'll be looking through the plastic if I want to use that mirror... probably not a big issue as I don't use that mirror as often as the other two (and, before someone criticises, I do use it when changing lane to the left, or turning left in traffic, or when reversing).

Once again - thanks to all for all the hints, tips & clues. I'll post a picture as and when I finish the job.

David

David Jenkins

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
My word! Isn't Lexan expensive!

I went to a big local supplier (Ipswich Plastics) as I like to buy locally if possible. They wanted over £50 for a piece 2' x 1' in 3mm... I politely declined (he was very apologetic!).

I've just placed an order on the bay for 2 pieces, 500mm x 215mm, £10.22 delivered.
(I bought 2 pieces as the P&P cost rises exponentially as the sheet sizes get bigger)

whitestu

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

C&A plastics is good value for Polycarbonate sheet.

Link

Stu

David Jenkins

posted on 20/6/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm - they didn't have the size I wanted anyway - but that site's now been bookmarked for future reference!

Cheers!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/11 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well - here's the final result.

Wind deflector
Wind deflector

In the end I decided to do without hinges - I used strips of 3mm stainless steel, bent to 45 degrees, to support the 3mm Lexan polycarbonate. These straps can be bent/remade to different angles if I feel the need. I think it looks tidy with the reasonably well-polished steel.

I was shocked at how easy it is to scratch polycarbonate, so when these have got too marked then I'll probably try another material.

They do seem to reduce the buffeting though, which was the main objective after all!

scudderfish

posted on 27/6/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
What speed have you had them up to? Do you get much vibration?

Regards,
Dave

David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've been up to 70 with them - now I just get moderate turbulence instead of 'beaten to death'!

They don't flutter much, although if I was to make another pair I'd probably use 5 or 6 mm lexan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.