Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laws on parking a commercial vehicle in a residential street
j3w3ll3r

posted on 20/6/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
But it is illegal to block someone's access..

I had this with the council, unless the has has changed since 2004 it is not illegal to park over a dropped curb, you have no right to access your garden from the road with or without a drop curb, the curb is there to protect pipes and cables, it is illegal to park over it if you are on your drive way...or at least this was the case in 2004 as i sought legal advice

[Edited on 20/6/11 by j3w3ll3r]

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

orton1966

posted on 20/6/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
My experience

Although I hate inconsiderate people I also feel people are very snobbish about what is parked near their houses. I’ve driven vans (out of choice and necessity) almost all my driving life. And experienced this snobbery first hand.

People forget that in terrace streets sometimes you have no real choice but to park somewhere other than in front of your own house. I know this is different to the situation that you have but when I did live on a terrace street I did have on a couple of occasions people knock on my door asking me to move (my transit) from the front of their house. They were completely uninterested that someone was parked in front of mine already and that I parked in the nearest available space. Fact is on a terrace street your do not own the space in front of your house.

Worse still was on a modern detached "Executive Style" estate, all but about once a month, I parked on my drive, the exception being when I was towing for work and needed to take the trailer home to get an early start the next day, even then I parked in front of my own house. This didn’t stop me being called unreasonable by my neighbour, quote “why should we come home to be faced by that”

My experience now is that these cookie-cutter “executive style” estates are by far the worse for snobery if you parked on the road in a BMW X5 similar in size to a VW transporter no one complains, park the van and no matter how clean and presentable it is you’re bringing the neighbourhood down.

Strange is move somewhere, a little bit more upmarket but with more individual style homes and people seem less keep-up-with-the-neighbours, probably because many people here are self-made and realise what you have to do to get somewhere in this world.

People should be considerate but equally not be anti-van snobs. Many van drivers are self employed people just trying to make a crust in a very competitive world

[Edited on 20/6/11 by orton1966]

jacko

posted on 20/6/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Get white lines put down out side your house = NO STOPPING
Thats what i did

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the crack with 'operator licenses'? I know around here you can't keep a HGV in the street without an operators license but that would depend on the definition of HGV and the laws where you are. May be worth checking out?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 20/6/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm....
http://www.eptraining.co.uk/operators_licence/

"VEHICLES COVERED

Goods vehicles, or vehicle / trailer combinations, with a gross weight / gross train weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes (or 1525 kg unladen weight if unplated), (the weight of any trailer not more than 1020 kg unladen weight being discounted,) which are used for the carriage of goods in connection with business, whether for hire and reward or own account, need the relevant operator’s licence."

"Operating Centre
The operating centre is defined as the location where the vehicle is normally kept. Full details of each operating centre, including number of vehicles and trailers to be authorised plus “off street” parking available, must be given."

May be worth a better looksy??

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

van cleef

posted on 21/6/11 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Think yourself lucky i used to live next door to the vet's and you have no idea what i used to get blocking my drive and the street usualy down to the local farmer's.In the end i put a large sign at the end of the drive saying PARK HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK, did kinda work but in the end it depend's on the person parking on how inconsideriate they are.

With me being in the building industry and owning my own van i have also experienced this so called van snobery but it does seem to get worse the older the van you own.

posted on 21/6/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All.

Reading Orton's post made me think of this:-

A bloke I used to know lives in an "upmarket residential area" (mustn't call it an estate) in a 4 bedroom house
with detached double garage. The garage contains four strips of stair carpet (so the tyres don't mark the floor)
and a matching pair of BMW's. Nothing else.
He did have a black and a white one but now a pair of silver ones, both on private plates.

A creature of habit, on Saturdays he pushes (yup, pushes) them out onto the large block paved area if front of the garage
and cleans them. Just a quick clean, couple of hours or so.
Him and his wife then walk down to the nearby (upmarket) supermarket and do the shopping, then have it delivered.
As dusk falls he then pushes the cars back in the garage.

Sundays are similar, only no shopping and the cars get a full polish. Six hours to do the two. If it rains they get pushed
back in, and out again when it stops. (Keeps doors open.)

I used to work with this bloke, shop floor sheet metal worker / welder. Part owner of the (small) company.
He used to shower and change clothes before driving home, and kept an empty briefcase in his boot. ( ??? )

Now if I could choose my neighbours, which I can't, give me a "bloke with a van" any day.

Cheers,
Paul G

johnq

posted on 21/6/11 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
FIRELIGHTERS

looks like rain again

mds167

posted on 21/6/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
My two pence

Have a look at Section 137(1) Highways Act 1980 (obstructing free passage). This particular act carries a possible £30 fixed penalty notice, or in serious cases, the vehicle maybe removed to remove the obstruction (quote comes from a letter from the polis).

However, it relates to obstruction of driveways (I don't know if it is limited to getting off or getting on) and parking in turning circles.

I live on an eighties estate near a primary school. Parents really don't care where they park...oh don't get me started, must stop ranting, I did choose to live here. The road is so thin that if someone pars opposite my neighbour, it blocks three driveways - hence the local boys in blue getting involved (not at my instigation though)!!

I'm now (hopefully, survey is being done today) moving to a road rather than a close. Someone regularly parks outside the new house but as long as they don't obstruct the driveway I don't really mind. Hinder my wife getting home at the dead of night and I get very, very angry...

If talking to the guy doesn't work I'd have a look at the relevant law, talk to your neighbours, the council and the police if you think some real harm is being done. But does he wake you up by leave the engine running for 10 minutes every morning outside your bedroom window or turn up at 4am most weekends with the music blaring?

swanny

posted on 21/6/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
i good have a neighbour that spends 10-12 hours per weekend cleaning a car that only goes out two days a week.

fine but you do wonder if he couldnt be doing something better with his time. its not even a nice car but a 15 year old poverty spec mass produced hatchback. he must spend more money annually on cleaning products than the car is worth.

it is oddly annoying though for a reason i cant put my finger on.

what really offends me is that he;s never offered to clean mine!

s
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Hi All.

Reading Orton's post made me think of this:-

A bloke I used to know lives in an "upmarket residential area" (mustn't call it an estate) in a 4 bedroom house
with detached double garage. The garage contains four strips of stair carpet (so the tyres don't mark the floor)
and a matching pair of BMW's. Nothing else.
He did have a black and a white one but now a pair of silver ones, both on private plates.

A creature of habit, on Saturdays he pushes (yup, pushes) them out onto the large block paved area if front of the garage
and cleans them. Just a quick clean, couple of hours or so.
Him and his wife then walk down to the nearby (upmarket) supermarket and do the shopping, then have it delivered.
As dusk falls he then pushes the cars back in the garage.

Sundays are similar, only no shopping and the cars get a full polish. Six hours to do the two. If it rains they get pushed
back in, and out again when it stops. (Keeps doors open.)

I used to work with this bloke, shop floor sheet metal worker / welder. Part owner of the (small) company.
He used to shower and change clothes before driving home, and kept an empty briefcase in his boot. ( ??? )

Now if I could choose my neighbours, which I can't, give me a "bloke with a van" any day.

Cheers,
Paul G

Jasper

posted on 21/6/11 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps. As I said, I get home befgore him, so yesterday just parked my car in front on the house so he put his van outside his own house. That's what I don't get, he has room outside his own house if he put his people carrier somewhere else. I wouldn't even mind his people carrier outside my house sometimes, it's the bloody great high-sided van I don't like.

So tonight I'll park my car back on the drive when I get home and see if he's got the message or not

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

jacko

posted on 21/6/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
How for away is your house from the road ? is the van right up to the windows
karlak

posted on 21/6/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper

So tonight I'll park my car back on the drive when I get home and see if he's got the message or not

What happened tonight - My money is that he has parked outside yours again

Stand to be corrected though

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

morcus

posted on 22/6/11 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
Theres not much you can do. I've had neighbours like this before.

If I could afford too I'd live somewhere where noone can park in the road but sadly thats not an option.

Could be worse, on my way home from work I passed a huge grit lorry park outside a terrace of houses, on hill, next the the hatch markings for a traffic island, It's there all the time and is deffinitly not allowd, and it's a street where the houses are seperated from the road by just a standard width pavement so he's gonna be blocking their windows.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

britishtrident

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Caravans are fine, we've got a few in my street including mine! It's not an estate, just a regular 1930's street.

Parking caravans in the street is not legal.
Caravans and other trailers can only be parked in the street when coupled to a properly road taxed vehicle.

Jasper

posted on 22/6/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
quote:

What happened tonight - My money is that he has parked outside yours again

Stand to be corrected though

Well, actually no, I left the space outside my house clear and he DIDN'T park there, he parked in front of next door right in front of his own house. When I went outside to walk the dog this morning he was VERY chatty and friendly, I think his wife must have had a word to keep the peace. As usual in these situation communication is the key!!

Anyway, thanks for your input guys - and I did get a call from the coucil saying they couldn't do anything.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

JoelP

posted on 22/6/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
good neighbours are priceless tbh, and like someone said above, i too have moved house due to bad neighbours.

Old chap over the road has asked me not to park opposite his drive because he struggles to get his car in and out. I go along with it mainly because i have space for 5 on the drive, and dont find it hard to get in and out of the drive. Funny thing is, this guy is just like us but about 80, he was a welder all his life, as handy as you like, and better at joinery than me and thats my job! He even repointed his whole house a few years back. Wonder if i'll grow into a grumpy old bugger.

He came out shouting at someone who had dared to park with 2 wheels on the grass outside his house

They do just watch though as i reverse trailers into my drive when their cars are opposite, i wonder if they notice i manage fine?

I do like the guy though, you just have to take them as they come.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.