Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham carbon fibre wishbone
SteveWalker

posted on 23/6/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham carbon fibre wishbone

There was an exhibition at work today - suppliers and prospective suppliers to our industry. For no apparent reason one of them had a Caterham wishbone on the stand and cutaway sections too. The thing seemed to be formed from three carbon-fibre tubes with some form of foamed type interior and three machined alloy castings that were hollow with internal ribs. The thing seemed to weigh 2/3 of f-all. I was told it was less than 1kg. Impressive stuff.
DIY Si

posted on 23/6/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures, man, pictures!!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

SteveWalker

posted on 23/6/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Pictures, man, pictures!!

If I were to start taking pictures in the office, security would probably descend from far and wide!

ffrgtm

posted on 23/6/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Love that stuff... but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. On my school's fsae car we do a laser deposit titanium upright for each corner... if you count the labor (that is donated to us) they would be $60,000. Yet we decided that mild steel suspension links are fine.

I'll never forget that f1 race where a driver got a flatspot and the vibrations caused the carbon suspension to literally explode at the fastest part of the front straight... carbon is some brittle stuff.

I'm having trouble visualizing the hollow a-arm ends with ribbing though...

ffrgtm

posted on 23/6/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
btw what industry are you in, defense?

and to make up for the lack of pictures on your part I'll show the uprights we have

Completely hollow... titanium dust is swirled in a box while a laser melts it to form a 3d shape. Afterwards you just empty the dust that was trapped through the holes.

SteveWalker

posted on 23/6/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ffrgtm
btw what industry are you in, defense?

Civil nuclear.

twybrow

posted on 23/6/11 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like part of the car that Nottingham uni developed for Caterham... I saw the full chassis, and got quite a lot of detail about its construction. In fact, if you do a search on here, I am sure I posted a load of links to some presentations from the project some time back!
kendo

posted on 24/6/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Strange.

I did some work with Cranfield Uni when I was at Lola for Caterham about 7 years ago, except they were looking at chassis sections. It sounds like the same material i.e. a dry braided carbon tube around a syntactic foam which is then resin infused and hot cured during which the foam expands to provide consolidation of the carbon laminates.

Looks like they were putting it about if Nottingham were doing something similar.

I suggested getting away from a spaceframe and doing a one hit moulded monocoque which is what McLaren now do on the new MP4-12c (or what ever it is) thingy.

ChrisL

posted on 24/6/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I though someone had done a titanium 3D printed Caterham upright that has a honeycomb inner?
Bare

posted on 5/7/11 at 03:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hey! why not recreate the 1957 Lotus Seven chassis design in Carbonne?
Maybe you could create a Ford Sidevalve engine in Plastic to go along with it?

b14wrc

posted on 25/7/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I was at Cranfield university at the beginning of this year and saw the Caterham chassis parts discussed above. Very impressive as a manufactured part, but would also question why the design had not evolved and been a complete monocoque.

Apart from the expense, if I had a money no object budget I would experiment with this idea for sure.

20vt powered rear engined locost

kb58

posted on 26/7/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ffrgtm
Love that stuff... but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. On my school's fsae car we do a laser deposit titanium upright for each corner... if you count the labor (that is donated to us) they would be $60,000. Yet we decided that mild steel suspension links are fine.

At the risk of getting way off topic, I'm always confused by the super high-tech tricks used in FSAE cars. I mean, aren't the cars supposed to theoretically be a design for an affordable weekend-racer? If so, I don't get using $60,000 parts (that are free to you), attached to a chassis with brackets milled on 6-axis $300K CNC machines. Is the reasoning that, "if we build a million of these, they'll be cheap?" Are you allowed to list the prices as what you guys paid for them? If so it seems very misleading as for what it takes to design and build products.

[Edited on 7/26/11 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 26/7/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Aren't the cars supposed to theoretically be a design for an affordable weekend-racer?

Nope. They're supposed to be a place for up and coming automotive engineers to present their skills. If they raise a £100k budget then that's what they can spend.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benonymous

posted on 27/7/11 at 03:03 AM Reply With Quote
In addition to budget, I believe businesses can "sponsor" the build with donations of goods and services.

60,000 for uprights, wooh!

kb58

posted on 27/7/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:
Aren't the cars supposed to theoretically be a design for an affordable weekend-racer?

Nope. They're supposed to be a place for up and coming automotive engineers to present their skills. If they raise a £100k budget then that's what they can spend.

Ah, understood. Given that, it sure argues for creating outlandish designs in the hope that you'll get noticed professionally! I 'spose the rules box everyone in so tightly that it keeps a lid on what's possible.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

phelpsa

posted on 27/7/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:

Ah, understood. Given that, it sure argues for creating outlandish designs in the hope that you'll get noticed professionally! I 'spose the rules box everyone in so tightly that it keeps a lid on what's possible.

Quite often companies will give their new technology to the teams. These are the people who are going on to design at big automotive companies, if they are used to working with one technology and know what can be done with it then they are much more likely to implement it in future design. Works in favour of the team and the company!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing you wouldn't interested in my new range of plywood con rods then

quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Hey! why not recreate the 1957 Lotus Seven chassis design in Carbonne?
Maybe you could create a Ford Sidevalve engine in Plastic to go along with it?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.