Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SUMMER KIT CAR ACTIVITY
stig mills

posted on 4/7/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
SUMMER KIT CAR ACTIVITY

How sad that when the sun comes out the normal kit car mass gatherings are all over until the end of the year when camping is only for the dedicated.
Stoneleigh weather was O.K and Newark was average but imagine how nice it would have been if held today instead, and we are only just into July.
The other point I have is the low level of entertainment at the normal kit shows, Westfield drifting at Stoneleigh and a stunt show at the Detling, that's about it isn't it?.
Donny was great as it combined track action with a display hall but clearly too expensive a venue to be sustainable. I would love to see an action weekend exclusively for kit cars. What do you guys think? Perhaps a drag strip and/or short handling circuit for everyone to take part in, (Santa Pod is expensive though) it should also be in July or Aug or at the latest early Sept to encourage camping and hopefully some form of evening entertainment, BBQ and music.
I feel there is room for improvement to help draw people in and for us to enjoy it all more. What do you think?
So, are you happy with what we have on offer already or have you suggestions to improve the social scene of kit cars?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matty h

posted on 4/7/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Couple of years ago complete kit car mag organised very similar show at bruntingthorpe in July,I attended but the weather was bad and it never took off,shame really as the idea was a good one.
Steve Hignett

posted on 4/7/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
There is this:-

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/16/viewthread.php?tid=152738

loggyboy

posted on 4/7/11 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
As youve mentioned, good venues cost money, good venues at peak season cost even more money! entertainment costs money, these costs are passed on to entry fees, which are steep enough for what is effectively a small market. If you fo to one of 'marque' orientated events (fast ford, pvs, jap etc etc) you can see why these events can afford the venues and the entertainment, they have thousands of thousands more paying entrants as they appeal to a wider audience.

Personally i think the kit shows should contract a little, the two ive been to (detling and newark) seemed very sparce and poorly set up. If they put the same effort in to a more compact yet comprehensive package then they would appear more professional and less 'flung together'.

big_wasa

posted on 4/7/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
You just cant predict the weather.

The weather for newark was crap, the review of the sturday was poor. The fuel costs to get there combined with the entrance fee combined = I didnt bother like lots of others looking at the pictures.

kipper

posted on 4/7/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
York dragway invite clubs to take part in their weekend events.
Plenty of runs in the runwhatyoubrung and will even do the timings for a competition between club members.
Event are at the melbourn drag strip near York/Elvington.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

Irony

posted on 4/7/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I just don't understand why there are so few kitcar events and meets held across the country. There are more events for single makes of production car than there are for the entire kitcar community. This is a little bit of a sad thing.

My thoughts on this has led me to believe that either kitcar owners are a bit grumpy (me included). Or they spend more time creating there cars than they do showing them off.

My brother has two Lambrettas and I have seen his 'tool kit'. All the spanners are still brand new still in the wrappers etc. When anything goes wrong he just pays to get it fixed rather than doing it himself. However he goes the Meets and Rally's every weekend!!!! Whereas my free weekends are often taken up with 'spannering'.

When I get my kit finished I would like to arrange something like a small 'non-profit' event somewhere as I think the community needs more. I also work for a Exhibition and Events management business so I have a few idea's how it could be done.

[Edited on 4/7/11 by Irony]

matty h

posted on 4/7/11 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have some ideas but would not know where to start.
Something along the lines as modified live.
http://ticket.motorsportvision.co.uk/calendar/2011/july/310711-modified-cp.aspx
as previously said no shows from Newark until into September.
Donnington was a good show but it looks like we have seen the last of that.

stig mills

posted on 4/7/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty h
I have some ideas but would not know where to start.
Something along the lines as modified live.
http://ticket.motorsportvision.co.uk/calendar/2011/july/310711-modified-cp.aspx
as previously said no shows from Newark until into September.
Donnington was a good show but it looks like we have seen the last of that.

That show looks like fun, a little more on the "entertainment" theme side though than I would personally prefer, I was thinking more along the lines of the visitors entertaining them selves with their own cars if the facilities were provided, hence the handling circuit/drag strip/skill course ideas. This would keep costs down. What else could be done or has been done in the past and now dropped? I heard that Newark used to do a 1/4 mile drag run but dropped it due to H & S. Can't remember it though.
Please let me have your ideas, they will not be wasted, I will put them to the show organisers or maybe even put a kit car meeting together myself later this year. Just about time to do it I think. Santa Pod is a little dear though and I would like to see it completely dedicated to kit cars . They already have bookings for the best weekends and I don't feel we should share.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matty h

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Other possible venues.
-Harewood house or hill climb circuit.
-Elvington
-York raceway
-Bruntingthorpe
-Harrogate (used to be a show hear)
-Teesside Autodrome
-Linolnshire showground
-Blyton park

I am a bit biased as only listed places near me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.