Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fencing etiquette...who gets the good face?
NigeEss

posted on 8/7/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Fencing etiquette...who gets the good face?

Replacing the fencing between us and the adjoining neighbour. Using vertical lap
instead of the existing Wayney so the difference between the front and back faces
is more noticable.

So is there an etiquette to who gets to look at the good face ?

We're going 50/50 on the cost but I'm putting them in so do I get the good but he'll then
have the back on both sides of his garden and I have good on both sides of mine.

Give him the good so we both have one side of the garden front face and the other back.

We've always had the good face but as I mentioned, it was Wayney so not as obvious.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

zilspeed

posted on 8/7/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I did it, the **** refused to chip in with the costs after agreeing to do so.

I got the good face, well I did put the fence up...

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/7/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the idea is, your fence then the posts are on your side therefore the outer (good face) is on neighbours side and should not be on their land.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Ninehigh

posted on 8/7/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I take it with the Wayney fence both sides were ugly?

David Jenkins

posted on 8/7/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at the title and thought of entirely the wrong sort of fencing!

NigeEss

posted on 8/7/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
I think that the idea is, your fence then the posts are on your side therefore the outer (good face) is on neighbours side and should not be on their land.

Slotted posts, therefore it's all in a straight line !

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

philw

posted on 8/7/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Alternate the panels, then no one can moan

Must try harder

zilspeed

posted on 8/7/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

Slotted posts, therefore it's all in a straight line !

In that case.
Rails between the posts.
Vertical slats overlapping. Half your side / half their side.

macc man

posted on 8/7/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fences can be a real mine field. I put mine up while my neighbour was in good health When he died the new neighbour objected to the posts on his side threatened court action if i did not change it. Got my own back though as he ended up with a fence twice the height and not as nice. Serves him right.

David Jenkins

posted on 8/7/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
This site may help...

Boundaries

It seems to be that whoever owns the fence can put it up whichever way he/she prefers!

snapper

posted on 8/7/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
If it's your fence, put the good stuff your side but you should pay for the lot, if neighbour is chipping in give him a discount and you have the good face

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

fazerruss

posted on 8/7/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
you can get fence pannels which have 2 good sides ( same both sides) problem solved

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

Andi

posted on 8/7/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
Fences can be a real mine field. I put mine up while my neighbour was in good health When he died the new neighbour objected to the posts on his side threatened court action if i did not change it. Got my own back though as he ended up with a fence twice the height and not as nice. Serves him right.

Our neighbour is a right tight to$$er. His fence is a heap... Its falling down throughout the length of the garden and we keep asking him to sort it out."yes yes yes" he says... But he never has in the 3 years we have been asking. He has each section propped up with 2x2`s.
There again, he `s the landlord and doesnt live there.
We will probably have to do it ourselves as we keep chickens and his fence could go at any minute.

Ninehigh

posted on 8/7/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
You might want to "get drunk one night and fall into the fence"

If you're good you can make it collapse onto your side so it's not you that's done it.

D Beddows

posted on 9/7/11 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
Lol been there done this - one of our fence's was FUBAR'd so in a neighborly gesture one day I poked my head over the fence and suggested we go halves on a new one.......... oh yes they said 'we don't want to see you walking about in your garden anyway(!) and we'd like a straight fence line as when my parents sold the previous owners of your house the end of the garden we didn't get everything we should have...... Fair enough I said, but I'm only talking about a new fence to replace the existing........then they came round with vague OS type photocopied maps to try and prove they should have more of my garden than I paid for... I'm an Architectural Technician by trade and one of my best mates is a building surveyor (kept that a bit secret till then so when they turned up with all that nonsense I suggested we actually measure out who owns what.......they weren't so keen on that for some reason.......... had a chat with the bloke who turned up to put up the fence and we now have the 'sh*tty side of the fence but at least 4 sq m of land than before - they do have a straight fence line now though LOL

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.