Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can i replace the fuses with a trip fuse (household system)
steve m

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Can i replace the fuses with a trip fuse (household system)

I have a fuse box similar to this one in my house, can i replace the fuses only with a switch/trip fuse?

I dont really want to change the whole board

Steve

[

[Edited on 17/7/11 by steve m]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, i believe so. (well you can, they are available)

When we moved into our house, someone had already done this. They simply plug into the existing positions.

Screwfix has them, or used too anyway..

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-32a-sp-type-b-curve-mcb/87979

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

steve m

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, just the answer i was after

steve

BenB

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Obiously that will only give you MCB and not RCD functionality.

6 of those £60 quid odd.

Bear in mind you can get a brand new CU for not much more than that which would also offer RCD.

[Edited on 17/7/11 by BenB]

mookaloid

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I would strongly recommend that you get a proper sparky to have a look at it. With a fuse box of that age there are bound to be other issues in the property and he will advise you on what you need to do to make sure it is safe
davestarck

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote

If that was my consumer unit I would be rather concerned about the rest of the wiring!!

Dave

steve m

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
All comments noted, thanks, Steve
cliftyhanger

posted on 17/7/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I know a sparky, his house has a similar fusebox he fitted about 40 (probably more) years ago. 4 fuses, upstairs ring, downstairs ring, lighting, cooker. That's it. He sees no reason to change.

The latest consumer units and so on haven't made a lot of difference to safety, unless anybody can point out some figures that I haven't seen. They have kept sparky's in work though. (I have nothing against sparky's before anybody jumps down my throat.)
And if it needs replacing then yes, use the latest stuff. And if it has the old rubber insulated wires anywhere they really ought to be replaced (the insulation breaks up badly with age)

macc man

posted on 17/7/11 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Its always tempting to tart up an existing system, but for the extra cost involved I would change the entire board. It will give you extra fuses to expand the system and will give the insurance less excuse to reject a claim if anything were to go up in smoke. Just my poinion of course.
Surrey Dave

posted on 17/7/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote

And can you be a bit more careful when painting , dont get it on the wood next time ,or do the whole lot!!!
JoelP

posted on 17/7/11 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I know a sparky, his house has a similar fusebox he fitted about 40 (probably more) years ago. 4 fuses, upstairs ring, downstairs ring, lighting, cooker. That's it. He sees no reason to change.

The latest consumer units and so on haven't made a lot of difference to safety, unless anybody can point out some figures that I haven't seen. They have kept sparky's in work though. (I have nothing against sparky's before anybody jumps down my throat.)
And if it needs replacing then yes, use the latest stuff. And if it has the old rubber insulated wires anywhere they really ought to be replaced (the insulation breaks up badly with age)

The difference there is that, i assume the spark has lived in that house 40 years and thus knows that no one has f**ked with the wiring. Those boards arent dangerous when the installation is in good order. Over a long time it becomes more likely that a diyer will have bodged something, even if its not specifically to do with the wiring - ie, made a shelf bracket live by skimming a cable with the screw. New boards are safe becase the rcd compensates for an awful lot of otherwise dangerous situations.

As for statistics, AFAIK no one has died of electrocution in a house with a correctly fitted rcd. You cant ask for much more than that?

As for the op, a new board would be around £300 plus any fault finding. Replacing the fuses is more about convinience than safety.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

posted on 17/7/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just do the important stuff.....
like the one that runs the 250 amp welder in the garage.

Paul G

Stuart_B

posted on 17/7/11 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:

The difference there is that, i assume the spark has lived in that house 40 years and thus knows that no one has f**ked with the wiring. Those boards arent dangerous when the installation is in good order. Over a long time it becomes more likely that a diyer will have bodged something, even if its not specifically to do with the wiring - ie, made a shelf bracket live by skimming a cable with the screw. New boards are safe becase the rcd compensates for an awful lot of otherwise dangerous situations.

As for statistics, AFAIK no one has died of electrocution in a house with a correctly fitted rcd. You cant ask for much more than that?

As for the op, a new board would be around £300 plus any fault finding. Replacing the fuses is more about convinience than safety.

i would back joel up, there is nothing wrong with that type fuse board, as long as the rest of the system is designed right and has not changed since installed, but it would of had, because i reckon there will be use of extensions lead in the house??? plus the periodic inspection would show up any insulation break down.

but yes fit the wylex mcb for convince, but try and just get an inspection on the wiring when funds allow.

cheers

stu

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/7/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:

I don't think many (any) people have died of electrocution in a house even without an RCD for a good few years either. Certainly unless they were doing something very stoopid
http://www.etci.ie/fatalfacts/
Funny how nobody worried about electrics for years and years, and now paranoia has crept in. Just like sunburn at school, and much of the other "elf and safety" stuff.
Now, on the other hand, a guard on an angle grinder IS useful.

rallyingden

posted on 17/7/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
As a spark all I can say that a new Consumer unit with RCD IS the safest way to go, Changing your wired fuses to MCB will only protect the circuits better NOT YOU should you come into contact with a live wire.

That said you also have to take into consideration that in upgrading your consumer unit would require you under the new regulations to have the whole house tested and certified by an approved electrician, though your local buildings regulations dept can usually sort this for you.

So the choice is yours really

1) Conveniance of MBB's and better WIRING protection

OR

2) Better safety for YOU & FAMILY by upgrading to RCD consumer unit.

Hope this helps

RD

steve m

posted on 17/7/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear, hornets nest approaching!!!

I only asked a question!!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/7/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear indeed, makes me want to YAWN steve lol

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

steve m

posted on 17/7/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
ha ha. ben
JoelP

posted on 17/7/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
yawn or not, i do wonder why you want to swap them! £60 for no gain really, as rewireable fuses very rarely break, and certainly not when light bulbs blow. So you arent gaining much convinience, and it certainly is no safer.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeRJ

posted on 17/7/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rallyingden
As a spark...

...you earn your living by installing new consumer units amongst other things Hard not to recommend them when it pays your wages.

martyn_16v

posted on 18/7/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
The fixed wiring in the building isn't the only possible source of faults, a dodgy appliance is probably more likely to cause you harm than anything else.

An RCD will trip at 30mA fault current in a couple of ms. A fusible link will not trip until it's been running at several times it's rating (so at least tens of amps) for possibly a good fraction of a second. If the fault current is low enough it may not trip at all. MCB's aren't much better than fuses, other than being able to turn them back on again (most of the time). I know which I'd rather have protecting my supply when I whizz through the mains flex on my angry grinder.

If you are working with power tools or anything where there is a risk you could damage the cable/appliance, then I'd have an RCD somewhere in the circuit, even if it's only a plug in adaptor.

rallyingden

posted on 18/7/11 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by rallyingden
As a spark...

...you earn your living by installing new consumer units amongst other things Hard not to recommend them when it pays your wages.

Actually NO I dont get involved anymore with house bashing, moved on since then and besides whats wrong with being honest, If something is not needed I would never push it just for the sake of a job.......... maybe that why I got to where I am now

RD

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.