Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas for a new engine.
caber

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ideas for a new engine.

Currently I have a 1600 Pinto in my locost running webber 40s. I have never got it running right despite 2 rolling road sessions neither place could properly set up the webbers. The thing is now dripping oil from the front crank seal so i was wondering about changing the engine altogether. I am looking for something for fast road use and reasonably tractable I am not bothered about top speed, more acceleration and flexibility in traffic so bike engines are of no interest. Ideally I would like a lower capacity to get under the 1500cc tax band and fairly easy to fit onto the type 9 box. what is the current consesnus of decent engines to cover this kind of application?

Thanks

Caber

zilspeed

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Bearing in mind the under 1500cc criteria, that would suggest the K series and Vauxhall 16 valve or Ford Zetec SE, all of which can be had as a 1.4 and all of which can fit a type 9 with the bellhousings which are available.
Any of these are lighter and more powerful than a 1.6 Pinto.

Fuel and sparks are where it starts to cost though.
You would want to look into how that could be achieved using standard bits if possible, I would perhaps think.

[Edited on 26/7/11 by zilspeed]

spiderman01980

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
here`s a duratec FORD FIESTA MK8 1.4 DURATEC ENGINE ONLY 2,000 MILES 09 | eBay, i think they are a bit lighter then a zetec
daviep

posted on 26/7/11 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman01980
here`s a duratec FORD FIESTA MK8 1.4 DURATEC ENGINE ONLY 2,000 MILES 09 | eBay, i think they are a bit lighter then a zetec

I think the Duratec and the Zetec SE are the same engine, the duratec is the most modern variant, they are both sigma engines and were developed with assistance from Yamaha, they have nothing in common with the rest of the zetec engines.

I think the Duratec makes about 95hp as standard.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

coozer

posted on 26/7/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
How about a 1.5tdi out of a Corsa? Its an Isuzu engine and 1 wire gets it running. You would need an adapter plate for the gearbox though.

Revvy little thing with a bleed valve, tons of torque.

Ooo, and lots and lots of mpg's.

[Edited on 26/7/11 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Humbug

posted on 26/7/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 1.4 K series in my ST - standard ECU and inlet manifold, ali bellhousing. 105bhp as standard, lightish engine and in the cheaper road tax bracket
spiderman01980

posted on 26/7/11 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman01980

I think the Duratec and the Zetec SE are the same engine, the duratec is the most modern variant, they are both sigma engines and were developed with assistance from Yamaha, they have nothing in common with the rest of the zetec engines.

I think the Duratec makes about 95hp as standard.

Davie

yeah thats right they the same engine, but only the ones after 2008 are 95hp the ones before are only 79hp.

Arthur T wareing

posted on 26/7/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the problem with the se in the north south position is it needs a non standard ecu and this gets costly that is why I changed my mind after buying the se and a special bell housing. I wish some one had told me. regards Arthur
caber

posted on 27/7/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I have had a little look about and the K series looks to be an expensive option particulalry as the bell housing seems to be between £250 and £300. Most engines seem to be around £250 stripped and I would
need all the ins, outs, ECU, harness etc on top!.

Do any of the Ford engines fit the pinto bell housing or are there standard bell housings that I could use?

Basically what is likely to be the cheapest engine to go for and easiest to fit?

TIA.

Caber

karlak

posted on 27/7/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just curious of the Tax difference between a 1395cc and 1995 cc ?

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

dlatch

posted on 27/7/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Engine size (cc)
12 months rate
Not over 1549cc
£130.00

Over 1549cc
£215.00

will take a few years to recoup the savings i think

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 27/7/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
Engine size (cc)
12 months rate
Not over 1549cc
£130.00

Over 1549cc
£215.00

will take a few years to recoup the savings i think

OK,

So if a tax saving is the main incentive, why not go for a 2 litre Zetec which will not require all the extra bits to make it fit. The cost of not needing a bellhousing will allow for three years running on the Zetec, plus you get all the extra ponies as well.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Nick DV

posted on 27/7/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
This is only 1500cc but may be slightly to powerful

http://www.autoevolution.com/news-image/turbocharged-engines-in-formula-one-18108-5.html

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

caber

posted on 27/7/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nick, Nah too wide!

What is involved with the zetec? Will it go on the type 9 bell housing? What clutch bits do I need?

How about fueling? I guess the base option is the injection system that comes with the engine. I am not after using the webers as I just cannot find anyone in Scotland who can set them up. I have a set of bike carbs and I got as far as building a manifold to stick the on the Pinto so I guess I could buy or build a manifold to fit the zetec but would still need someone to jet and set the things up. From there i guess it is megasquirt or similar and someone who can set that up

Help!

Caber

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 27/7/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
1.4 corsa, tigra or astra engine.... check out SBD http://www.sbdev.co.uk/History_files/History_InstantExpert.htm

Fantastic engines although not as lightweight as K series.... but you could always bolt on a corsa VXR turbo to 1.4 vauxvall lump with ease as the heads are very very similar (i think)

zilspeed

posted on 28/7/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Caber

Are we talking 'budget' here ?

You know, as in "how cheap can we get this in and working?"

If it is, zetec is your first last and only answer.

Bolt it up to your existing gearbox.

caber

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Budget as in time and complication as well as cost. It does look like a zetec solution is best bet. Where is best place to get a good zetec with enough bits?

Shopping list

Zetec 1400 engine
Exhaust manifold
Existing injection system and ECU / aftermarket injection ECU / bike carbs and ignition ECU
Clutch parts / Flywheel.

I am hoping someone who has done this before can point me in best direction for these, alternatively id anyone is chucking a Zetec in favour of a bike engine or planning to do so . . . . .

TIA

Caber

daviep

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Budget as in time and complication as well as cost. It does look like a zetec solution is best bet. Where is best place to get a good zetec with enough bits?

Shopping list

Zetec 1400 engine
Exhaust manifold
Existing injection system and ECU / aftermarket injection ECU / bike carbs and ignition ECU
Clutch parts / Flywheel.

I am hoping someone who has done this before can point me in best direction for these, alternatively id anyone is chucking a Zetec in favour of a bike engine or planning to do so . . . . .

TIA

Caber

Zetec 1400 is a sigma engine so you will also need to budget an extra £200 for a bellhousing. Proper Zetec's which will mate up to a type 9 etc were only 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0ltr

HTH

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

caber

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
AARGH ! best laid plans etc!

So 1600 and stonking tax bill every year or back to K series or vauxhall lump How do I recognise the appropriate type of Zetec to use?

Caber

DH2

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
How do I recognise the appropriate type of Zetec to use?

Zetec SE has the oil filler at the cambelt end of the engine (assuming standard cam cover), and the inlet on the nearside and exhaust on the offside (when rotated longitudonally).
Zetec E (aka "Zetec" ) has oil filler at the gearbox end of the engine, and inlet & exhaust t'other way around.

DH2

[Edited on 29/7/11 by DH2]

mrwibble

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
a post 08 zetec se, is surely going to be mega bucks compared to a £50-£250 zetec. perhaps worth talking to the bike engined boys?
Furyous

posted on 29/7/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone is after a 1400 K series, I have one sitting in my garage that you can have for free on collection in Reading. One caveat - I have absolutely no idea what condition it's in. I've had it a few years and never seen it running. Might be fine, might be a wreck. But for free, it could be worth giving it a prod. I've also got a FWD gear box to go with it.

/shameless plug to try clearing space.

beaver34

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur T wareing
Hi the problem with the se in the north south position is it needs a non standard ecu and this gets costly that is why I changed my mind after buying the se and a special bell housing. I wish some one had told me. regards Arthur

there are people on here running stock ford ecus

caber

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Furyous, I would love to take that off you however I am in Edinburgh and more than anything do not have the time to come and get it! Anyone any ideas how I can get it to appear in Edinburgh for cheap?

TIA Caber

ali f27

posted on 1/8/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Come on boys how about an engine relay surely we can get it to him
Just for clarifcation zetec se yamaha 1.4 1.6 or 1.7 puma engine bell housing needed ,duratec mazda engine 1.6 1.8 2.0
2.3 bellhousing needed zetec 1.8 2.0 no bell housing but not much better than cvh if it has to be under 1500 cc probs best with k series but still need bellhousing pintos dont sound so bad now do they could run k series bog standard and tune it later.
Ali

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.