Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do I make my garage waterproof?
thesecondprize

posted on 30/8/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
How do I make my garage waterproof?

Are there any builder-types out there who’d know how best to tackle the following?

My garage (on the left) has always leaked on one wall, where a sloped concrete path ran down the side of it, above the level of the garage floor.

Underneath the path was effectively ‘hollow’ as shown, creating an ‘overhang’ inside the garage.

As you can see from the first photo, I’ve removed the concrete path and I intend to revert back to a path with steps in it.

My question is:

[B]How should I proceed in order to prevent further leaks into the garage?[/B]

Should I:

a.) Use flat paving slabs to ‘bridge the gap,’ then pour a concrete path on top with a gentle downwards slope.
b.) Brick up the ‘gaps’ on the inside of the garage to create a continuous internal wall then fill the void (with what?) Create a concrete path as above.
c.) Tackle it in some other way (please specify!)

Lastly, with any of these options, will I need to tank the inside of the garage in order to make it waterproof?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

JohnH

posted on 30/8/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, What you need to do is build a new outer wall,leaving a 2" cavity between the walls.When you start to build the wall you need to put in a verticle damproof membrain (roll of DPC polythene)The dpc needs to be in between the inner and outer leaf,then back out the outer leaf about 12" above ground. Any problems leave me a u2u and i ll send you my number.

John (joiner &builder)

coozer

posted on 30/8/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not put a roof over the whole lot?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Guinness

posted on 31/8/11 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not suprised it leaked. That was designed to be a water feature.

I'd do as John suggests, but with the addition of some tanking or waterproofing membrane / bitumen paint.

To my understanding, a cavity wall traps moisture, so that extreme rain that hits the outside skin, will soak through to the inner side of the outer skin of bricks. It'll then run down to the bottom and out the weep vents. Or it'll just evapourate and out the top into the roof / facia vents. Light rain will soak into the bricks and then evapourate from the surface due to sun / wind.

Your new cavity wall will not be vented at the top as it'll meet the existing and it'll not drain at the bottom as it'll be underground. It'll also not be naturally dried by the action of sun / wind as you are putting back the slabs.

I'd be tempted to build the cavity wall under the line of the existing, then back fill the trench with a french drain, or even concrete and some UPVC drain pipe with gulleys at ground level.

MikeRJ

posted on 31/8/11 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnH
Hi, What you need to do is build a new outer wall,leaving a 2" cavity between the walls.When you start to build the wall you need to put in a verticle damproof membrain (roll of DPC polythene)The dpc needs to be in between the inner and outer leaf,then back out the outer leaf about 12" above ground. Any problems leave me a u2u and i ll send you my number.

John (joiner &builder)

If he does this then only stick insects will be able to use the path?

jossey

posted on 31/8/11 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
tank it first though if you use concrete. and cut the lining into the floor so any small moisture goes into the floor.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bare

posted on 31/8/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Seriously?? To do it 'correctly' or as close to it as possible on the above??
Remove All those concrete blocks and Whatever? that cantilevered abomination might be...Necessary... get right down to the dirt the foundation rests upon.
One then needs to install and extend waterproofing and redirecting methods right down to the bearing soil...no if ands or buts.
Dimpled Plastic Drain board is best, over a Tar painted ('waterproofing' emulsion cast concrete foundation. Blocks/ bricks are a PITA to deal with as they traditionally leak like sieves. Only double or triple applications of waterproofing paint ons seems to work on those as does an EPDM membrane.. but it's pricey and tricky to attach competently. One also needs a drainage system (drain pipes) to channel any water, at foundation bearing soil level, out and away from man made structures. Even a rudimentary one would be leagues better than what is currently in place :-)
Possibly a bit onerous amount of effort for the condition in the photos..Which seems to have had Repeated Bodge efforts.

It only needs doing well..once :-)

PS: been an Architect for almost 30 years

MikeRJ

posted on 31/8/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Seriously?? To do it 'correctly' or as close to it as possible on the above??
Remove All those concrete blocks and Whatever? that cantilevered abomination might b
PS: been an Architect for almost 30 years

I've been an architect for...well never, but I can see exactly what the cantilevered abomination is for just by reading the OP's post. It used to be a sloping path, and hollow underneath, so those parts were supporting the path. Not a great bit of construction admittedly, and looks like someone has picked up random bits of masonry and mortared them into place.

thesecondprize

posted on 31/8/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
A few questions if I may - I'm more confuddled than before I started!

1. Bare, firstly you say...

quote:

get right down to the dirt the foundation rests upon

and then...

quote:

Dimpled Plastic Drain board is best, over a cast concrete foundation.

So given I already have a cast concrete foundation in place already i.e. the garage floor, should I be looking to remove the section that extends outside of the main garage 'footprint' ... or not? (Just seems like a lot of work if all I'm going to be doing is laying more concrete down again...)

2. What's to stop me bricking up the 'arches' as seen in the second pic and laying Dimpled Plastic Drain board in the newly formed "channel" outside the garage, over the existing concrete foundation? Is is simply a lack of a slope to channel water away? (If so, could I lay one on top of the existing foundation in ''waterproofing' emulsion cast concrete'?)

3. Given I'm still a bit confused, maybe people could doodle something in MS Paint to show me exactly what they mean?

Here's the sort of thing I was thinking:

4. If following Bare's recommendation, how should I reinstate the path (required for access)?

Also, just to point out that I'm keen not to disturb the concrete block work on the right-hand side of the first pic if at all possible, for fear of affecting the neighbour's property (i.e. THEIR garage). I'm not bothered about water being absorbed on that side to be honest, as long as it doesn't end up getting into my garage.

Thanks guys - appreciate the help!!

Pete

Litemoth

posted on 31/8/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Where's the boundary?
thesecondprize

posted on 31/8/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
Where's the boundary?

On the right hand side of the breeze blocks as you looh at the diagram. If I remove them, I'll leave my neighbour with a half unrendered garage. Not very friendly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.