Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator Help
jsims

posted on 27/9/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator Help

The Alternator on my F27 stopped working over the weekend and I am on the look out for a suitable replacement.

The one fitted at the moment is a left handed Lucas 18ACR.

The AA tech who helped me home advised that the ACR units are now a bit long in the tooth and i should get a more modern one fitted.

I would have thought that a reconditioned unit of the same type would be perfectly okay, but does anybody know what type would be a better more modern alternative?

I am a bit limted for space so cant really fit anything that is too much bigger, but i dont mind spending a bit more money if it will last longer.

Thanks

Jed.

deezee

posted on 27/9/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Are you going to tell us what engine you have fitted in your car?

jsims

posted on 27/9/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah - that would help wouldn't it!

I have a 2.1 pinto.

whitestu

posted on 27/9/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Something like this would be great: kubota alternator KUB 19883 64010 / 6401-1 | eBay

I have one on my Zetec. They are about the size of a pint pot and very reliable.

Myke 2463

posted on 27/9/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of Lucas 18ACR. on ebay for about £50 delivered also repair kits.

Be Lucky Mike.

britishtrident

posted on 27/9/11 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
No real point in fitting anything else the Lucas ACR units are easy and cheap to fix and more than powerful enough for the job.

Before doing anything check the 3 spade plug on the back of the alternator is making good clean and firm contact with the blades, this is a very common problem that stops charging.

If you take the alternator back cover off (you need to do this if you want to trying cleaning the blade terminals) you will see the brushes, regulator and diode pack are all bolt on parts. Unless the alternator diodes are knackered usually you are looking at about £3.00 for a set of brushes, I don't think the regulator is blown but if the regulator is blown it will cost about £4.00. The slip rings might be worn but it is easy and cheap to sol.der on a new assembly.

If the diode pact is blown then it too is a bout £5.00

Left hand and right hand Lucas alternators are the same -- you just undo the 3 long bolts and rotate the front cover of the alternator relative to the stator and rear cover.

The later Lucas Magnetti Marelli A127 alternators are even cheaper and easier to fix -- two screws hold on the combined regulator and brush assembly but you would need to find one with a single Vee drive belt pulley from a Metro or early Sierra.

[Edited on 27/9/11 by britishtrident]

gavin174

posted on 27/9/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Something like this would be great: kubota alternator KUB 19883 64010 / 6401-1 | eBay

I have one on my Zetec. They are about the size of a pint pot and very reliable.

DO NOT buy this one.....

unless I am mistaken its 24v

cheers Gavin

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

whitestu

posted on 27/9/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

DO NOT buy this one.....

unless I am mistaken its 24v

cheers Gavin

Well spotted Gavin - apologies mine is the same but 12v.

stu

[Edited on 27/9/11 by whitestu]

snowy2

posted on 27/9/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
My pinto engined car had the alternator die at the weekend it now has an alternator from some rover (rover 800) if i remember right an almost direct swap....but more amps. needed as my new headlights are at 400w on main and dip (fully legal as well) i went to my local factors and looked throug the catalogue for any alternator with the same electical plugs.......as it happens my alternator has two types of connection. on the rear so i could change plugs if i need to.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

fazerruss

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I could supply all the bits you need to repair your lucas alternator. DONT THROW IT AWAY.
My parents business was mainly reconditioning alternators. My mum still has loads of stuff for lucas ( rectifiers, brushes,complete brush boxes,bearings, stators,rotors,slip rings,regulators,front and rear brackets woodruff keys)
I could probably build a brand new alternator with the bits!

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.