Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New iPhone 4s .....
eddie99

posted on 6/10/11 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
RIP Steve Jobs!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Madinventions

posted on 6/10/11 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

RIP Steve Jobs!

+1... Ok, so he may've been a bit ruthless, but he rescued Apple from themselves when he rejoined in the 90s, and I can only wonder how they'll manage without his particular brand of leadership?

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

P ?

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
Got a iPhone 4, and had it over a year but don't see the point in me upgrading to the 4s!!! am disappointed.
Agriv8

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
you may have to be quick if you want a 4s Samsung are apllying for a sales ban stating infringment of its Copy right.

Me ill stick with HTC's

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

ChrisW

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
The thing that people don't see to get about the iPhone is that it's not the electronic hardware that you're buying. Yes, plenty of phones out there have dual-core CPUs, 8MP cameras, etc, etc. All this "well my phone does that and it was free" isn't the point.

I'd argue that the physical form of the hardware contributes to the price a little. Arguably, the iPhone is the best looking of the current range of phones available and has the best case, but still that's not a reason for the £500 price tag.

No, where it's at is the software. I'm a huge evangelist of open-source software and do loads of things on command line based Linux, but that's when I'm at home and I've got time to spend and a proper desk with large screen, proper keyboard, etc to work with. When I'm on my mobile device, be that iPhone or iPad, I'll usually be doing something other than working on a computer. I just want to pull it out of my pocket, do whatever task it is as simply and quickly as possible, and then get on with whatever I was doing. In other words, I don't want there to be a pause in whatever I'm doing in real life whilst I get the phone to do what I want. This functionality what the iPhone does hugely well compared to every other phone OS I've ever seen. Everything is accessible, logical, and uncluttered, which makes it quick and simple to use, and then when I tell it to do something it just works without any messing around. There's none of this 'go to xyz menu', 'fiddle with a microscopic track ball', 'restart the abc service', 'get the stylus and click start, run, camera, still'. It's all fine on a desktop, but on a mobile device it's a chore.

So what if it doesn't have the latest cutting edge hardware feature. For example, I reckon I could pull my 3GS out, take a 3MP photo, and put the phone away before most of the Android based platforms had even been unlocked, and that's the point, I don't want to be saying 'hold on, hold on' to people while I get my phone ready.

I remember back when Windows XP came out, and I think this point is revelent to the current phone market. I can't remember who it was, but they said something along the lines of "You know all that stuff (referring mainly to multimedia) that we've said Windows could do for years? Well, it actually does it now". Apple watch what other companies are doing, play with it, work out how it works, and then do it properly.

Anyway, enough about that. I'm off to que outside the Apple store to make sure I'm first in line next Wednesday!

Chris

[Edited on 6/10/2011 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
david_hornet27

posted on 6/10/11 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW

Anyway, enough about that. I'm off to que outside the Apple store to make sure I'm first in line next Wednesday!

[Edited on 6/10/2011 by ChrisW]

have a good weekend lol!

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

craig1410

posted on 6/10/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well said Chris.

It always amazes me how many people who think they know something about technology sometimes completely miss the point.

Think of the hardware like an artists canvas, it's only there to showcase the art. I could use the same canvas as da vinci but I suspect my art would come up short in comparison.

v8kid

posted on 6/10/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
... and you'd look very odd talking to yourself.

I've been doing that for nearly 40 years! Some of the most interesting conversations I've ever had were with myself!

My trouble is I argue with myself and then go and loose the argument

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I understand your case Chris and I suppose I am the same when it comes to the car the but that audi A6 does very well everything is where you expect and logical and works quickley and easlily minimus fuss

Though modern HTC's (andriod 2.3 ) setup wifes in less than 20 minutes including synking contacts from old phone, setup 2 eamil accounts, Twiter and facebook. it impressed the pants of me. My problem with Apple is the form over function for example it looks good but hold it wrong and you loose signal strength.

Posted from a netbook running Redhat 6 ;-) on train

regards

Agriv8

blakep82

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
took literally 2 secs from locked in my pocket to taking this 8mp photo
Description
Description

no track ball on mine though, all touch screen, didn't make any changes to the phone at all.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

NS Dev

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I love my 3gs iphone

I'm no techno geek, but its not broken yet, screen hasn't scratched yet, and I can use it easily.

The same could not be said of every previous phone in the last 5 years, which have all required repair or replacement within their 12 month warranties!

Its really useful for work, with some of the seemingly simple features like the double tap on the text of a company phone no. on their website to call them.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Davey D

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
My galaxy s2 does everything so much faster than my iphone ever did. it is crazy how long it took the iphone to render web pages. even on a 10Mb connection surfing the net was painful at times.
eddie99

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Got my 4s today, last iphone i had was a 3g so a fair bit of improvement on that so im happy
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 15/10/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Picked mine up yesterday too. Apparently people were queing from 8pm the night before outside the Apple store in Westfield White City. I rocked up about 3pm and walked out with the phone within 10 minutes. Took longer for Vodafone to transfer me over to a microsim. Suckers!

Well pleased with it so far, although tbh most of the features come with iOS 5 which I had on my 3GS. Nice to have a tidy looking phone again though, and the extra speed and better display are most welcome!

Chris

My gaff my rules

scudderfish

posted on 15/10/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote

thefreak

posted on 16/10/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
I understand your case Chris and I suppose I am the same when it comes to the car the but that audi A6 does very well everything is where you expect and logical and works quickley and easlily minimus fuss

Though modern HTC's (andriod 2.3 ) setup wifes in less than 20 minutes including synking contacts from old phone, setup 2 eamil accounts, Twiter and facebook. it impressed the pants of me. My problem with Apple is the form over function for example it looks good but hold it wrong and you loose signal strength.

Posted from a netbook running Redhat 6 ;-) on train

regards

Agriv8

Your car analogy is spot on.
The Mondeo Estate may well cost less to buy, do the same or better MPG, have satnav as standard, leather interior and alloys, but the Audi is a much nicer drive, when you get to your destination you can get out and walk, it's quiet, smooth and has road presence. Yes it might cost more for the same spec as the Mundano, but you're not getting a boring car, you're getting something someone has put a lot of thought and effort into. Everything is laid out just where you want it, you dont need to go digging around for that button or setting you want to change.. and when you come to sell it, the same age, same mileage same spec Mundano is going to be worth no where near what the A6 is

Just check ebay or here. A 3GS, used with a good few miles on the clock is still fetching around £200, even the original 2 is still getting around £80. So loosing around 50% over 2 years is damn good going for a phone that has a life of probably only 4-5 years anyway. A 2 year old HTC is worth what? £50 now?

If I want to take hi-res pictures, I've got a DSLR for that, if I want to take a quick snap of something on the car to post on the internet, it doesn't need to be 15MP, as I've only got to mess around resizing it to 800x600 anyway!
If I want to take a video clip of the family playing in the sea on holiday, I'll use a proper HD video recorder, as it'll have so many more functions than the camera on my phone.

A phone is there for convinence. To do things quickly... check email on the go, make a quick call on the go, check a post on a forum, take a picture of a part on the car to ask a question, listen to some music while on the train. So if it's only got a 3MP camera and single core processer ah well, but I know evertime I take it out my pocket, it's going to work without me spending 20 minutes trying to find out the setting to make it work

Just my view anyway... and yes, I've got a 3GS iPhone, and guess what.. I've got an A6 Avant too and love it

[Edited on 16-10-11 by thefreak]

tompat3463

posted on 16/10/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
got mine on friday...very impressive got mine as a bussines phojne and I;'ve had the 4 for the last year ..the 4s is paclked with new stuff and Siri is great...much better than the android versions...im a broad geordie and it undersrtands me...lol

must be good lol

Jasper

posted on 17/10/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Got mine on Friday too, had the 3gs before, this is a HUGE improvement. Siri is truly amazing, never need to type an email/text, google search, or anything ever again, it picks up every word perfectly. Ask it 'Do I need my umbrella' and it comes back, quick as a flash with the answer out loud, and then opens the weather app.

Came home from the pub a bit drunk, wanted to look up something on Google which I couldn't spell and wouldn't have attempted typing in, just spoke it into the phone and up it came.

The new camera is fantastic too, and no more need to sync with itunes as it's all done to the Cloud.

Like others have said, there are phones that have better specs for sure, but none work as well and easily as the iPhone.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.