Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tin top brake judder
roadrunner

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
tin top brake judder

I have had a slight knocking sound at slow speeds over the last month or so, then the brakes started to feel that they where on then off ,on, off under very slow and steady braking, until tonight when travelling at 60ish then braked the hole car went it a massive judder, even when the speed was scrubbed off the bad judder was still there.
Any ideas before I have a look tomorrow.
Brad.

HowardB

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
pads worn out?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

roadrunner

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
No, there is plenty of meat on them.
britishtrident

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
If your description is accurate I would suggest it points straight to a warped brake disc but brake vibration and judders can have other causes for instance premature ABS activation due split ABS reluctor rings or particularly on Fords worn suspension bushes.

[Edited on 3/11/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

roadrunner

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
If my discs had a slight warp before, then surely they wouldn't get severally warped during a twenty minute drive.
focijohn

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Loose wheel? and as above check the ABS ring for a fracture.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

roadrunner

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Were do I look for the abs ring.
phelpsa

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like something coming loose! I'd have a good check over all the suspension fixings before driving again.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Strange as it may seem brake discs warp when cooling down after being hot, when stationary the bit of disc covered by the calliper stays hot while the rest of the disk cools quickly. If you have changed the discs before it might be an idea to check if the caliper retaining bolts are tight.

ABS rings are easy enough to visually check as long as you don't have the more modern active wheel bearings which use a ferro-magnetic ring built into the wheel bearing.

With old style reluctor rings just clean and examine the rings looking for cracks, splits and missing teeth. However with active wheel bearing the only way to check the ABS rings is to use an Oscilloscope when the car is being driven at constant speed.
Some Bosch ABS are very prone to problems if the multi-plug on the ABS modulator control unit gets damp due to callipary action.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 3/11/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Reluctor rings

[/I]

RickRick

posted on 3/11/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
bm's the brake reaction arm, or the forward part of the wishbone bush wears and gives a judder at any speed replace with powerflex unless your bothered about the road noise, gets slightly more noticable with PF's fitted
coyoteboy

posted on 4/11/11 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth, brake discs actually warping is *incredibly* rare. Far more likely is that you've stopped with hot discs and left your foot on the brake which has caused an uneven deposition of pad material. The more braking you do from this point on the more pad material gets deposited in that spot, the worse the judder gets. Looks like a warp as the uneven wear creates a high spot, but careful examination is more like a swelling. A surface skim should sort it but the only cure is not leaving your foot on the brake when you stop.
britishtrident

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
For what it's worth, brake discs actually warping is *incredibly* rare. Far more likely is that you've stopped with hot discs and left your foot on the brake which has caused an uneven deposition of pad material. The more braking you do from this point on the more pad material gets deposited in that spot, the worse the judder gets. Looks like a warp as the uneven wear creates a high spot, but careful examination is more like a swelling. A surface skim should sort it but the only cure is not leaving your foot on the brake when you stop.

"*incredibly* rare2 --- That particular bit of misinformation started on one website and has been floating about the web for a three or four years, a warped disc is less common than it used to be because brake discs are thicker (hence more rigid) than they were in the 1960s and modern floating callipers tend to an extent mask kick-back through the brake pedal.

tomgregory2000

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
just a thought.......

but would a fecked damper on the front cause this?
as the wheel would be bouncing down the road so as the brakes were applied the tyre would grip, lock up because its bouncing, the abs kick in, the wheel then grip agen and the cycle begins.

like i say its just a thought

tomgregory2000

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
yes brake discs do warp, i had the brake discs on my motorbike warp, now thats scary
Dingz

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I have had Vented discs warp, as have others I know. They are prone as the thickness varies, they 'dish' in where the vents are and once they start they seem to go quite quicky.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

coyoteboy

posted on 4/11/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

"*incredibly* rare2 --- That particular bit of misinformation started on one website and has been floating about the web for a three or four years, a warped disc is less common than it used to be because brake discs are thicker (hence more rigid) than they were in the 1960s and modern floating callipers tend to an extent mask kick-back through the brake pedal.

It's not misinformation - it's confirmed by several brake manufacturers that almost all cases reported are pad deposition causing disc thickness increases in a localised spot. I never said it can't happen, just that it's very rare, and people automatically jump to "warp" incorrectly. Actual rotor warp usually comes with low quality of excessively worn rotors which either have residual stresses after manufacture or have started to reach the material limits (worn so thin it's a joke) The problem is it requires the person doing the diagnosis to actually take the disc off and measure what's going on and virtually no-one ever does, they just make an assumption and replace the disc. Must admit I've not run any calcs on it, but I suspect it's very hard to get plastic deformation in a disc from thermal variation alone (not impossible) and would require glowing rotor temps - not something that occurs very often in tin tops on public roads.

[Edited on 4/11/11 by coyoteboy]

roadrunner

posted on 4/11/11 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have just replaced discs and pads, and I am glad to report all is well.
The only reason I questioned the disc fault was because it went from a small hardly noticeable judder to a really nasty one within a mile of travel.
Thanks fellas.
Brad.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.