Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: xflow head gasket and timing
muller

posted on 10/8/04 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
xflow head gasket and timing

After enjoying a morning at the track my crossflow decided to run on water instead of fuel - blow head gasket. I have an old workshop manual for the car, but unfortuanately its not very clear in some respects, so if you guys can please help me:

Its a 1600 (1660 actually) kent xflow running twin 40 weber sidies

1. Can i reuse the head bolts, or should I rather get new ones (manual doesn't specify)
2. The engine is supposed to be standard (according to the previous owner), but is has 82.479mm pistons instead of the standard 80mm, so obviously is been overbored at some stage. (711 block BTW). Can I use the standard head gasket?
3. How can I see if the head has been skimmed before?
4. What ignition timing should I be running? (assuming the block's been converted to 1300 pistons and the compression is in the region of 11.5:1)

The damadge:

TIA

Dick Axtell

posted on 10/8/04 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Head Bolts

quote:
Originally posted by muller
1. Can i reuse the head bolts, or should I rather get new ones (manual doesn't specify)

According to the Wallage book, and the Burton catalogue, stretch-type head bolts should never be re-used.
That's the theory. Now for the downside. Burton's list new head bolts @ GBP5.88 each, so that's GBP58.80 for the set.
Ford say these bolts are obsolete, and therefore don't stock them any longer.
For racing purposes, no hesitation, replace them. For my road-going purposes, maybe I'll just re-use the old ones.

BTW - nice clear pic. And its No. 4 piston that's gone! (Usually no.1).

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Dick Axtell

posted on 10/8/04 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Standard??

quote:
Originally posted by muller
Its a 1600 (1660 actually) kent xflow....

2. The engine is supposed to be standard (according to the previous owner),

If it's 1600, being fitted with 1300 pistons (as shown in your pic), means it surely ain't standard.

My re-build has stalled. Not only because of the head-bolts prob, also cannot get replacement exhaust manifold studs (5/16 UNF/UNC). Was looking to making my own. Unfortunately, UNC die is GBP18!!!
Someone's taking the proverbial p**s!

[Edited on 10/8/04 by Dick Axtell]

SeaBass

posted on 10/8/04 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I got some exhaust studs from Burtons along with brass nuts etc when I bought a fuel pump from them. This was about 6 months ago...

Cheers

rusty nuts

posted on 10/8/04 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
If the exhaust studs are 5/16'' unf try the old mini A series manifold studs, should still be available. Don't think the head bolts are stretch bolts ,these engines were built before stretch bolts became common. hope this helps . Rusty
Lars

posted on 10/8/04 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
the xflow seems to use unc, i went for bolts for the exhaust manifold
paulf

posted on 11/8/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
You could always buy long set screws and cut to length, they are not highly stressed and so would be up to the job.
Or maybe run an 8mm tap down the hole and use metric studs.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Lars
the xflow seems to use unc, i went for bolts for the exhaust manifold

darren(SA)

posted on 15/8/04 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
If I can remember, The head bolts are not stretch so the can be reused. but as mentioned, for race application plus the high compression, might be a good idea to replace.

I'm sure a standard head gasket should be fine as the crossflow head (except the 1300) does not have combustion chambers so it shouldn't matter at all.

cheers
darren

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 15/8/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
With 11.5:1, I think you will be doing this quite often. Maybe a copper head gasket is in order, I once made one for a mini, anealled it (heat and quench), it lasted until I sold the car 22,000 miles later

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

muller

posted on 16/8/04 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, put everything back together over the weekend and fired the engine up. The idle is very erratic, but I need to reset the timing.

quote:

I'm sure a standard head gasket should be fine as the crossflow head (except the 1300) does not have combustion chambers so it shouldn't matter at all.

Managed to get a slightly oversized gasket from Midas

quote:

With 11.5:1, I think you will be doing this quite often. Maybe a copper head gasket is in order

I suspect you are correct, for the time being I just slapped a normal gasket in, and if it fails again then I will consider a copper gasket.

Dick Axtell

posted on 16/8/04 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Coolant gallery plug??

Hi Muller,

On the block's nearside, just in front of the mounting flange, there is a coolant gallery outlet (on my 711M block). Is yours blanked off with a brass plug?? And is this a standard item??

muller

posted on 24/8/04 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry you lost me there, are you talking intake or exhaust side?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.