Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Tyre experts, bit of advice needed.
r1_pete

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Any Tyre experts, bit of advice needed.

My E Type has 6.5x15 wire wheels, currently has 205 60 15 tyres, standard wheel / tyre is 5 x 15 and 185 80 15.

Problem is my rear wheels are difficult to remove as with the suspension unloaded the tyre doesn't clear the arch, so needs a hell of a pull to get them off. Additionally the 205 60's are a little small in diameter, and I could do with a touch more ground clearence.

I figured 195 70 15 tyres would be perfect, a little narrower so the back wheels will come off easily, and a touch larger diameter. Problem is, I can only find van tyres in 195 70 15, so, does anyone know where I can get such a size in car guise, or, would it be completely stupid to run van tyres? bearing in mind it originally came with cross plies, tyre technology has moved on in 45 years, and I aint going to be doing track days or mega spirited driving....

Any help and advice welcome.
Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Van tyres tend to have stiffer sidewalls. You also need to be careful of the speed ratings...
stevebubs

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
what's wrong with the 185/80R15s?
stevebubs

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/search/SizeSearch.aspx?searchWidth=195&searchHeight=70&searchWheelSize=15
r1_pete

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I considered 185s, but wouldn't they look a bit stretched?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
"van" tyres Should have the info relating to the amount of Plies contained within them, this means that during their construction

e.g. 195/70x15 8ply which translated means

195 = the tread width (usually in mm)
70 = the height of the side wall as a percentage of the width (or aspect ratio)
15 = rim diameter size in inches
8 ply = the amount of plies (or layers) of reinforcement that is built into the tyre during construction, the plies can be manufactured of a mixture of nylon cord and steel belts the larger the number of plies the stiffer the tyre and the higher its subsequent load index rating.

You can do manual calculations to come up with the correct tyre based on vehicle weights ect, I have long forgotten the formula

But when doing my tyre technician I &II City & Guilds, you had to know this sh*te off by heart

You might wish to search on some classic tyre manufacturers, as there are many many small producers of tyres who have some very weird and wonderful sized moulds available to them, I have seen some who will make pairs/set to order in a very short space of time. Classic mags from america are a good source for such things too.

Have a look

Here

For some technical info from Michelin, and if you ever get the chance to go to the test track and michelin museum @ clermont ferrand grab it.

[Edited on 11/11/2011 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

MikeRJ

posted on 11/11/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Yes I considered 185s, but wouldn't they look a bit stretched?

http://customwheelsmarket.com/rimwheelwidth1.html

6.5" rim is the widest recommended for a 185, so it's at the top end of the range but shouldn't look particularly stretched, especially as it's not a low profile tyre.

se7en

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIAA Jaguar E Type Series I/II originally had 185/75x15 tyre on 5inch rims, Series III had 205/70x15 on 6inch rims.

You say that you have 6.5inch rims which I believe are not standard on either Series I/II/III. To maintain the same/nearest size (circumference) of tyre you would need to fit 205/70x15 making a difference of +1.37% or 9mm which is negligible.

Your current tyres 205/60x15 make a difference of -4.86% or -32mm (recommended +/- 2.5%) against the manufacturers original size.

Regarding tyres, I used a tyre that had a fairly stiff wall on my MB V230 (Vito Estate car). I didn't want to use a van tyre as it would be quite stiff and gave a harsh ride; standard car tyres were too soft and caused the vehicle to sway a lot on corners. The tyre was a Federal MS-357 6P and I found it to be very good ride and I got good mileage.

HTH

Tom

geordielad

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
mytyres.co.uk have them
rachaeljf

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s430p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_195_70_15_195_70_R_15
r1_pete

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice all, they are aftermarket rims, the S3 had slightly flared arches to accomodate 205s.

I'll look through all the links and see what I can find.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.