Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi gearbox questions
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 11/12/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Audi gearbox questions

Hey guys, one of my mates is thinking of building a mid engined car and I was telling him about how some Audi's have gearboxes which are effectively transaxles (that is longitudinal engine feeding into a gearbox/diff integral unit). Unfortunately that is about where my knowledge ends, so I said I'd ask you guys for some more info
The pertinent questions are roughly how big are they, how much power can they handle and which cars have got them?

Cheers guys,
Badger

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

scootz

posted on 11/12/11 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure someone will be along with more info, but from memory it's the 01E and 01X boxes that he wants, and I think the 01X box was the stronger (turbo diesel).

It's Evolution Baby!

tegwin

posted on 11/12/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the Passat and A4 from around 2000 were fitted with transaxles at the front.... Being a bit of a vag fan, I always wanted to get the 1.8t from the passat and use that complete with gearbox in a middi

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Fred W B

posted on 11/12/11 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 016 from a late 80's 9000/5000. They are this big.

The 01 is a similar size

You will find chapter and verse on Audi (and other) transaxles in the transaxle section on

www.gt40s.com

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 11/12/11 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 11/12/11 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/12/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I'm sure someone will be along with more info, but from memory it's the 01E and 01X boxes that he wants, and I think the 01X box was the stronger (turbo diesel).

Look out for the gearing on the Diesels though (mine was a 98 A4 Tdi 5speed). 3000rpm would gives you about 80-85mph in top and that was with pretty large rolling radius tyres.
Synchromesh on 1st can be a bit dodgy (well was on mine, but that was after 160k miles, I struggled on to 240k before selling off the car).

PSpirine

posted on 11/12/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Smaller wheels will nicely offset the tall diesel gearing. If you power it using a turbo engine, the diesel boxes will give very nice gearing.

Mine's on 214k on a TDi (and on the original clutch!!! :O) and hasn't got any crunches knocks whines or dodgy syncros!

I don't know how easily they bolt up to a V8 though! (surely that's what you REALLY want to do )

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/12/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Smaller wheels will nicely offset the tall diesel gearing. If you power it using a turbo engine, the diesel boxes will give very nice gearing.

Good thinking, I had that the wrong way around in my head.

My old A4 was on original clutch and original exhaust when I sold it at 240k miles. Shame that the same guy didn't specify the front suspension links.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 11/12/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Right, cheers for the info guys, will pass it on tomorrow!

coyoteboy

posted on 4/1/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
There's some info here :
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-engines-induction-exhaust/23560-audi-engine-info.html

I have recently picked up an 01E 6spd 2WD diesel box so I can measure anything on it you need.

quote:

01X box isn't stronger, the 01E(b) is the strongest combination I think, it's got the cast iron centre section and thick gearing. If it's not going on a V8 then I'd not worry about which version is strong enough, though some of the wimpy short alu boxes of later designs are easily stripped using a modded 1.8T I believe. The 01E is good for a LOT of torque.

Paraphrasing what I've learned by standing on the shoulders of giants:

01A
In all the 5 speed A4, A6 an Passats.

Identifiable as the gear selector sticks out back.

Pretty weedy and only 5 speed

01E
This is the 5 and 6 speed gearboxes that were in early A4, A6 (up to about 2001) and A8.

Gear selector pokes out the side half way down.
The one out of the A8 3.7 manual is the best of the lot as it has a built-in oil pump.

01X

This is the 6 speed gearboxes (possibly 5 speed too) that were in the later A4, A6 (2002 onwards)
Agian the gear selector pokes out the side half way down.

01E is longer than the 01X which is longer than the 01A. The 01E is heaviest, at 56kg.

Something to note is that the same boxes are used across diesel and petrol engines, just with different ratios and gear thicknesses depending on torque.

[Edited on 4/1/12 by coyoteboy]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
In the course of my research, I've found this website:
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/
This allows identification of gearbox through the transmission code.
I must confess I thought there were 4 types of gearbox- 012, 016, 01E and 01X.
012 is the most common and from what I gather is a bit fragile,
016 is slightly more sturdy but can be modified to be ok
01E is the best, followed by an 01X.

However I must confess I find the whole lot a wee be confusing, and difficult to find certain values for the amount of torque they can handle.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
There's far more than that, there's 01W's and all sorts! The 01X, 012, 01E and others are the most common used in larger engine sizes and would bolt up the the V8's and V6's IIRC. The others come from tiny-engine'd cars and transverse. I'll see if I can find a better list. It is a confusing mess.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.