Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Spire GTR
SCAR

posted on 17/12/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Spire GTR

6 months ago my daughter and I introduced an idea into our local school that as an educational and inspirational project the students could build car
Following lots of discussions and meetings with students and staff we formed SCAR (Samworth Church Academy Racing)and a car was chosen. We are now underway and the chassis has been delivered.
We are very fortunate in that the school has refurbished a modern but unused building to form a mechanics suite where we will have lathes , milling machines, welding equipment and possibly tyre changing . They have kindly provided an inspection pit although I have serious doubts about its suitability for a student environment and hope to replace it with a two post lift.
My intention is to run the workshop as "open house " at certain times (Saturday mornings?) where we could allow access to interested parties with something to add to the project in return for use of the facilities.
We are based in Mansfield Notts and anyone interested in our project should get in touch with myself (not the Academy) by email.
I can post some pictures of the chassis in the school and in the new worksop and of our progress during the build but someone will need to advise me how
Steve P
Deputy Chief Engineer
Team SCAR
[img] SPIRE GTR CHASSIS
SPIRE GTR CHASSIS
[/img]

[Edited on 17/12/11 by SCAR]
[img][pg]85731[/pg[/img]
[

[img] CHASSIS IN THE WORKSHOP
CHASSIS IN THE WORKSHOP
[/img]

scootz

posted on 17/12/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a great idea! Good luck with your venture!

It's Evolution Baby!

Chippy

posted on 17/12/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
To post pictures first place in your photo archive. Open photo you want to post, copy the link in the top slot and place in your post using the "insert an image" button, (just under font size). HTH Ray

[img] SPIRE GTR CHASSIS
SPIRE GTR CHASSIS
[/img]

[Edited on 17-12-11 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Uphill Racer

posted on 18/12/11 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Brill...............Your lucky to find a school prepared to look outside the envelope.
It is a concept that worked in Carlisle but there it was only for kids that would otherwise be excluded and saved a few as it led to a qualification.
What age group are you looking at working with?

Steve Hignett

posted on 18/12/11 at 04:43 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck with your venture.

With re. the lift/pit issue, there are negatives to both, so save your money and just educate your kids as to the negatives of the item already there - the pit in this case.

On top of that - it's not difficult to put a lockable cover over it, that only is unlocked under supervision.

What I'm trying to say is, save your money and put it toward the car...

ATB
Steve

Paul (Notts)

posted on 18/12/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just about to take the car off the raod for the winter, but when spring arrives I can pop over one Saturday morning with the Viento.

Paul.

SCAR

posted on 24/12/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
SCAR

quote:
Originally posted by Uphill Racer
Brill...............Your lucky to find a school prepared to look outside the envelope.
It is a concept that worked in Carlisle but there it was only for kids that would otherwise be excluded and saved a few as it led to a qualification.
What age group are you looking at working with?

The project is a bit ambitious as the students are aged between 12 and 18 however the school moto is, aim high be the best you can be, so we chose the car they wanted to build rather than one that would have been easier.
Although the school were very quick to adopt the project its been difficult getting the staff involved, I think they are wary of the amount of extra work required and its quite difficult making progress from the outside. So far I've used most of my annual leave in order that we can have fortnightly meetings to keep the project going.
Now we have the chassis and some of the parts we cant wait to get started, most of the students involved wanted to come in over Christmas but we cant have the room until the new year as they are still doing building work.
Steve P

matt_gsxr

posted on 24/12/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
well done for making this big effort.

Too far for me to come unfortunately.

Teachers are fairly cautious, I bet they will come around eventually. Keep talking to head, governors, PTA if you keep shaking the trees then you will find local support. Tenacity is key.

You are doing a good thing,

Matt

SCAR

posted on 24/12/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
SCAR

Thanks for your positive comments
Much appreciated

Hellfire

posted on 24/12/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just out of curiosity, who is funding the project and what happens to the car once it's built?

Phil

SCAR

posted on 24/12/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
SCAR

We currently have approx 10k by way of a loan from the Academy resources, most of this needs to be paid back when we eventually sell the car.
However we are trying to get business sponsership for advertising space on the vehicle.
To support this we have local radio coverage as well as a national magazine feature and are even hoping for some tv interest. There are loads of events planned, we will track day the car (Blyton park have kindly offered a free day) and as we intend to road register it we have a plan for THE BIG DRIVE when we will drive the car from Mansfield to Gordonstoun School in Scotland. We will also have CARS AND COFFE style events at the Academy where we will invite car clubs and interested parties. We are very fortunate in that we have a new landscaped car park and will have our own large cafe facility next to the workshop. All the tools,machines and equipment will be provided out of the Academy's cap ex funding.
Just the small problem of building it now!
Anyone with spare time, money, energy, knowledge, skill or enthusiasm to offer will be welcomed

Steve Hignett

posted on 8/1/12 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
As above, shame I'm not closer...

Not that I've got much spare time myself, but if I were a bit more local, I would have definitely supported.

I'm surprised you haven't had quite a few people on here willing to help to be honest! I'd have thought that a few if not quite-a-few would have been interested...

Hope it improves a little...

ATB
Steve

obr_technology

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Project

Hi,

Certainly sounds like a great project.

I've been in a similar position when setting up the race team at the college I work for. It was a nightmare and getting the college system to work alongside the normal industry work was a nightmare but well worth it. Getting our first podium place alongside people with a budget ten times bigger than ours was amazing and the students have all learned so much from it.

Funding is also an issue, I remember being up at Castle Combe for our last race of the season and having a tyre issue and knowing that there wasn't enough cash in the budget for a new set to be used once and then binned over the winter. You'll find that people will be happy to help though, especially once you get going.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can help with, hopefully from a far as i'm in Somerset!

bi22le

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thats pretty impressive.

My secondary school was good for stuff like that. We used to build kart chassis and race them. We were one of the main schools at national school karting and I feel so privilaged to have that experience. We desinged the jigs, frames and even forged mounts and various bits. Some thing that has changed my life and I am forever greatful. We also did hovercrafts which was absolutly bonkers!

The time, effort and money may go un noticed and lacking in thanks but trust me if your giving some bright kids a method of doing something they dream of then you are helping make the stars of our future. I dip my hat to you.

Does make me think that building a race car is a bit in the deep end though for the age group. Was karting considered, your students wont get to drive the car will they?

The very best of luck to you.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

SCAR

posted on 11/1/12 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for all your positive comments
Although The GTR is a race car ours will be built as a road going version. The students will not be allowed to drive but my hope is that we will be able to take them out on track days before we have to sell the car. Other projects I have in mind will include vehicles that the students can drive.

One will be a jeep style vehicle and the students will be awarded points for positive inputs and on achieving sufficient points can "buy" a basic driving lesson to be held within the school grounds. I have a local senior commercial driving instructor who has offered his time to give these prelimary lessons. Given the cost of learning to drive these days I think this will be a well recieved incentive.

We also want to build an electric car possibly a MEV rocket.
Karting is something the students have asked about and perhaps this will be a future project, it all depends on getting someone on the payroll involved. My biggest problem seems to be keeping things going from the outside while holding down a full time job!

OBR_TECHNOLOGY

It would be nice to have a chat about how you set up your group and its build

Cheers
Steve P

SCAR

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=Q8TsGCe0U1I&feature=plcp&context=C46a077dVDvjVQa1PpcFOArxJ09IPK_sax6atJN2ZqAHRYt7g_yBM%3D

We are now in the building and underway with our build and the students remain enthusiastic
Attached should be a quick promo we have used in the school to promote our car building activities.
Hopefully we will have a good turnout of kit and classic cars for our open day, date to be announced, everybody will be welcome, the wider range of cars the better.
Steve

afj

posted on 10/3/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a good project for the students. My old secondary did nothing like that.

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

SCAR

posted on 17/3/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Making good progress with our project and learned some big lessons, upto 4 students = progress, 4 or more = chaos

[img] Jordan refitting the hatch pan
Jordan refitting the hatch pan
[/img]

[Edited on 17/3/12 by SCAR]

[Edited on 17/3/12 by SCAR]

SCAR

posted on 28/4/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Got the car on its wheels for the first time today, still hope to make a track day late summer

We have our big open day planned for the 19th May to support our new mechanics facility
Opening will be by Miss Mansfield, we have live radio coverage, and lots of have a go events including a star being pushed in a reasonably priced car competion, rifle and pistol shooting, ZORBS, 3 storey high climbing wall, high ropes, cars for sale area, Spire sportscars championship leading race cars, owners clubs, food stalls , refreshments, face painting and hair colouring in our new hair and beauty salon plus lots more. Be great to see some more interesting vehicles attend, ALL WELCOME

Gates open 11.00 till 3.30
The Samworth Church Academy
Sherwood Hall Road
Mansfield
Notts
NG18 2DY
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE EVENT OR ANYTHING THAT MIGHT ADD TO THE DAY PLEASE U2U ME

[Edited on 28/4/12 by SCAR]

[Edited on 28/4/12 by SCAR]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 28/4/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good Steve, might be a good idea to start a new thread for the open day in the clubs and events section, sounds like a interesting event
SCAR

posted on 30/6/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Making steady progress

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img][pg]91435[/pg[/img]

[Edited on 30/6/12 by SCAR]

scootz

posted on 30/6/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.