Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car written off, cant sorn!
Moorron

posted on 10/1/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Car written off, cant sorn!

Hi guys abit of a problem that i dont want to end up paying for.

My GF crashed her car on friday and the insurance have told us it is likley to be scrapped, the car has been taken from the drive to be evaluated and they told us as the car might be written off so we have to Sorn it as the insurance is now removed (car still has tax). Problem is i cant Sorn it as we only have the old type V5 and it wont work online, the lazy guys at the DVLA wont answer the phone so im no stuck between a rock and a hard place knowing i will get an autpmatic fine for something i cant solve.

After the insurance have paid out they will get the V5 to scrap the car but its still mine until this happens and im stuck!

Any tips?

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

loggyboy

posted on 10/1/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is it at your house? if not you cant sorn it anyway as you have to tell them where it is.
You some grace time anyway, so dont panic, if its written off and you keep it sorn it when its back with you, if its written off and you scrap it/pass it to insurance company you can give the v5 to the scrapyard/insurers and fill in the yellow slip.

vinny1275

posted on 10/1/12 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Can you do the sorn declaration at a post office?

afj

posted on 10/1/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Your insurance are talking a load of old poo you dont have to sorn it you dont have to do anything. just get your property including the tax disc from the car and the rest will be done when your car goes to salvage. i do this kind of thing every day, if your car gets squashed the salvage agent will dispose of the car direct on the dvla website, if the car gets sold through the salvage auction the new owner will apply for the log book then tax it , if it gets repaired you just put your tax disc back in the window

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

owelly

posted on 10/1/12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
If I understand correctly, what you're worried about is the continuous insurance thingy where the vehicle has to have insurance or be declared SORN? If your insurance company have cancelled your insurance cover, then yes, you need to declare SORN, and send in the tax disc.
But, as already said, you can't declare where the car is, if you don't have it in your posession. I would contact the loss-adjuster and get him to tell you if the car is being written-off. If it is, then transfer the details to them.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 10/1/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
If I understand correctly, what you're worried about is the continuous insurance thingy where the vehicle has to have insurance or be declared SORN? If your insurance company have cancelled your insurance cover, then yes, you need to declare SORN, and send in the tax disc.
But, as already said, you can't declare where the car is, if you don't have it in your posession. I would contact the loss-adjuster and get him to tell you if the car is being written-off. If it is, then transfer the details to them.

That's what I would do. It's their problem, not yours.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Moorron

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yes its the insurance thing that is getting in the sticky. The insurance lady told us that as the car WAS going to be scrapped that from now on the insurance is cancelled so we dont use the car. I think they must do this to stop continueing risk of other claims if i then go out and crash it again.

Im not sure how quick the DVLA send a fine for not having insurance and i dont want to get into an arguement with them trying to prove i didnt have the car and couldnt sorn it.

For example if i get a written of agreement this week and told to send in the V5 to the insurance company (or salvage) i will still have been classed as having a car for a week un insured!.

[Edited on 10/1/12 by Moorron]

JoelP

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
the car wont be taken of the insurance database immediately. One would assume that they would take it off at the same time as the write it off, but either way ive found it takes weeks to update the database.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Moorron

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
i did the check online and it shows the car has no insurance! but i dont know if it was on it before hand.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.