Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New build
T5 se7en

posted on 12/1/12 at 02:24 AM Reply With Quote
New build

First of all hi everyone

I'm completely new to this site ive looked at a lot of different sites about building my own lotus Severn replica and all point to this site.
The dilemma I have is I Want to build a car from the ground up from sourcing the metal box section for the chassis to finishing the body by spraying it myself.
A bit about me I have build several race cars for autograss racing so fabrication isn't a problem the thing I can't get my head round is,
If I build a chassis and put a t5 engine in how do I get a chassis number
Is it a difficult process getting it registered
Will it be on a q plate

Cheers mark.

phoenix70

posted on 12/1/12 at 03:37 AM Reply With Quote
If I build a chassis and put a t5 engine in how do I get a chassis number

>>The DVLA will issue a chassis number, or you can make your own one up, and submit it to the DVLA

Is it a difficult process getting it registered

>>Straight forward normally, pass the IVA and take all the paperwork to the DVLA, they issue a number plate and tax disc. (just remember to take a lot of pictures on your build and keep all your receipts for material, components etc.)

Will it be on a q plate

>>Unless you use all new components (one reburb'ed allowed) (New number plate), or a single donor car (Age related plate) you will get a Q plate

[Edited on 12/1/12 by phoenix70]

mark chandler

posted on 12/1/12 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
With emmisons getting tighter each year there is little value in a new registration IMHO, Q is the way to go with a pre 93 engine if possible which then gives you lots of freedom, then change for something more powerful and modern.

Regards Mark

T5 se7en

posted on 12/1/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
New build

Thanks for your replies would it be easier and less hassle to build the car with a donor car and age related plate then after the iva and mot change the engine to something better.
Would the car be emission tested on the original engines co2 or would it be tested on the new engines emissions when it's been changed.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.