Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front Caliper Piston Removal
Robster

posted on 17/8/04 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Front Caliper Piston Removal

I've read previous posts on the the subject & have tried to follow the cortina Haynes manual, but I just cannot get the pistons out of my M16 calipers! Spent a couple of hours trying, fingers very sore, two of the four pistons have moved a bit, the other two not at all.

The Haynes manual & previous posts on here recommend connecting a foot pump; I cannot figure out how or where to connect it - I don't have any adapters that will fit the brake pipe.

Any advice?

Ta,
Rob.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/8/04 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
right i had the same problem a week ago
1. do you have a compressor, if yes go to 3

2. do you have a grease gun if yes go to 4

3. use a blow gun on the fluid inlet to blow out the piston with compressed air, i did have to have an adapter tube made up by an engineer though it had 1/4"bsp on 1 end and M10x1mm on the other end this connected the caliper to a quick connect fitting, warning when they go they are bloody loud, i nearly filled my pants!!

4. fit a grease nipple to the bleed valve and block up the fluid inlet with a M10 x 1mm pitch bolt and pump out the pistons using a grease gun you will have to clamp one then the other

both methods work i have done them both, have you found a seal kit anywhere? i have had not luck as i am told my caliper is a non girling M16 and they don't do seal kits for it.

liam

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

albertz

posted on 17/8/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem and in the end i re-used a short scrap brake pipe and connected it to the master cylinder and hand operated the cylinder, until it popped out.

This is a nice, quick, easy and safe method - well it was for me anyway (maybe a bit messy).

andyps

posted on 17/8/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
I had the same problem and in the end i re-used a short scrap brake pipe and connected it to the master cylinder and hand operated the cylinder, until it popped out.

This is a nice, quick, easy and safe method - well it was for me anyway (maybe a bit messy).

I've used this method in the past too - works well as you can free each cylinder in turn by clamping the others.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/8/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
got to say i agree with the guys, when i did it i just used what i had laying around the workshop, apart from the special turned down bit, after i did that i found i had the correct fittings anyway

i didn't have any brake pipe or a master cylinder so i just made do

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Robster

posted on 17/8/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, cheers guys. I will try to find some spare brake pipe & connect up the old donor master cylinder. Only problem with that is, not sure what condition the master cylinder is in or whether it still works...

Other than that I shall have to try to fabricate some connection for a footpump & do it that way.

Cheers,
Rob.

givemethebighammer

posted on 17/8/04 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
clamp the pistons you don't want to remove then use a foot pump with a plastic adapter used to pump up footballs, paddling pools etc (usually comes with the pump). Force the end of the plastic adapter into the caliper brake pipe hole, hold it firmly in place and pump. Probably worth putting a piece of wood in side the caliper to cushion the piston as it comes out. Watch your fingers the piston may come out at quite a speed \ force. Also watch your eyes \ mouth as sometimes old brake fluid sprays everywhere as well.

good luck

Robster

posted on 23/8/04 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help guys. Having eventually found the attachment for my footpump, it worked a treat!

And yes, the pistons come out with quite a force & a loud bang!!!

Liam, GTS Tuning, www.gtstuning.co.uk (sorry, don't know how to insert a link) do quite a lot of stuff, that is where I will probably order my seal kit, but I have the standard M16 calipers.

You could also try brakes international - www.brakesint.co.uk.

Cheers,
Rob.

mad4x4

posted on 23/8/04 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I took a standard bit of copper and flared on a "nipple and nut" to fit the caliper. I then clamped a "Beachball" inflator nozzle onto the copper with a jubilee clip (hose clip) and attached this to a car wheel compressor. Switch on - take cover and POP.

Also used the same system for pressur testing my barke lines for leaks prior to bleeding. Got to 150PSI. no leaks

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.