Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: k series
tones

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
k series

hi all
I'm building a 1.8 k series in a locost,was trying to use the original loom I managed to get the fuel pump to prime showing 12volts then dropping to zero. turn the key the engine fires up for a second or two then dies off. the volts climb from zero while cranking but release the key when engine fires and drops back to zero.
could this be a immoberliser prob or a faulty pump.
although wired to another battery it pumps but the engine will not keep running.
I am considering an easier system to do away with the ecu and immob if there is any thing .
I have heard of an emerald system but know nothing about them.My main objective is to get the car running and reaching that mile stone.
Any help would be gratefully received

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
the emerald aftermarket ecu is plug compatable with most k looms but costs about 600-700 quid plus mapping.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

rusty nuts

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
The Emerald ECU would come with a map to get you running if you ask when ordering, as said it's not cheap but very easy to work with
britishtrident

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
You can get the MEMS ecu security feature neutered this used to be very easy to do but with MEMS 3 it is more difficult more so if your engine came from a car R75 and MG ZT) with the BMW EWS3 security system

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jollygreengiant

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Later rover k series did have imobilser issues (broad sense). Everything (ECU, fuel pumps, imobilisers, keys, etc) was dealer coded to help stop thefts. The problem was that, imagine the scenario, you went in your car to the airport for 2 weeks holiday. Parked in an airport car park and went on holiday. The trouble starts when you get back (maybe late at night), you get to the car and unlock it, but the button does not open it, so you use the key and get in. You then turn the key in the ignition and.........NOTHING, not even a glimmer from the lights. So you've got a flat battery, (either left an interior light on or just a dead battery, it does not matter). You find someone to give you a jump start, still no response. You call out breakdown services and then you find out that not only do you need a new battery, BUT, its GOT to go to the dealers to be recoded so that all the bits talk to each other. The idea was that it stopped second hand stolen parts because when you got it recoded, the computer searched its datbase against stolen cars/parts and if a stolen part was found on your car then it automatically called the police and theoretically you were then arrested.

Just a thought to give you something to think about.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

tones

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies
where would I go to get the imob taken off the ecu then would it just be a case of powering up the ecu and pump then would this run the engine?

rdodger

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the immobiliser. Do you have the ECU and 5AS from the same car? If not the will need aligning.

If they are from the same car then it could be auto arming and it could just require a quick blip before you crank it.

These guys used to sell a little box that did away with the 5AS and can help with alignment etc.

http://www.talonsportscars.com/alignment.php

RAYLEE29

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, might be worth checking crank or cam sensors as some ecus cut fuel pump power if they dont get a pulse from these
Ray

build diary1
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/RoadsterPics#
build diary2
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/KITCARPICS?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2AouyYgpuQmAE#

britishtrident

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Before the waters get too muddied we need to know what model the engine came out of, which Version of the MEMS ECU and which security system ecu ie Lucas 5As, Pektron or BMW EWS3. If is from a 75 or ZT it will be BMW EWS3

The Rover system is complex the engine ECU has to be introduced to both the engine flywheel tooth pattern and security ECU on older Rovers it was simply to by-pass a matter of first putting the ECU into an unlocked state and cutting off the connection to pin in the ECU with MEMS 3 in the 75 this became more complex as the ECU looks for an encrypted signal from the EWS3 every time it starts.

[/I]

whitstella

posted on 21/1/12 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
hi

hi

just had my k series wired up last week, came from a lotus so it has got alarm etc. you should have a black rely box (about 3'' square and it tapers) this box is for your fuel pump and ignition coil. i had to get a different 1 cause my engine would turn over but the fuel pump would not start. so got that sorted and i have got 2 ecu with the car but i did not know which 1 to use so i tried them both they both start the engine but 1 of them works and the other 1 cuts out the engine after a few seconds so that could be your problem.

cheers steve

britishtrident

posted on 21/1/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitstella
hi

just had my k series wired up last week, came from a lotus so it has got alarm etc.. you should have a black rely box (about 3'' square and it tapers) this box is for your fuel pump and ignition coil. i had to get a different 1 cause my engine would turn over but the fuel pump would not start. so got that sorted and i have got 2 ecu with the car but i did not know which 1 to use so i tried them both they both start the engine but 1 of them works and the other 1 cuts out the engine after a few seconds so that could be your problem.

cheers steve

Lotus used one of older style MGF or MG TF security systems -- the black box will be a Lucas 5As. Neutered versions of the 5AS are available but it is better to get the ECU neutered. The BMW EWS3 system if a whole different ball game.

As already said you can't swap ECUs between cars without introducing the engine flywheel pattern to the the engine ECU, which is why the engine won't run.

Incidentaly with reagrd to an earlier post by RAYLEE29 MEMS3 equiped Rovers have a cam phase sensor but don't need the cam sensor output to run ---- in fact if you plug a random selection of later Rovers in to a EOBD code reader you will find 25% of them the cam sensor signal fault code logged.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.