stevebubs

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just fallen foul of the new MOT Rules - be aware

Sister-in-law's car failed today on 4 items:

O/S CV Boot - small split
N/S CV Boot - small split
Track Rod Ball Joint Gaiter - small split
Lower Balljoint Gaiter - small split.

Thought the guys was being picky with her when I found out until I got home and did a bit of research...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

froggy

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
these are all advisable items so unless the boots are trashed i would still advise them . cv boots are pretty straight forward if the grease is all over the place its a fail but a little split with little mess would be an advise for me.

the other thing is the abiltiy to fail brake discs for wear is back too as this was removed last year .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

steve m

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Even a small split in a cv/gaiter boot, WILL get larger very soon, and in 12 months time on the next MOT the item would be well shagged

and if the car involved had 4 tiny splits as you say, i would say, the mot guy was correct in failing the car

Steve

froggy

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
The mot is an assessment of the vehicle on the day it comes in and unless I can predict the condition of a mechanical component in 28 days it's pass and advise , no doubt a small split will get bigger but it's the presenters responsibility to maintain the car not mine to make the car roadworthy for the next year . I give the information it's up to the owner to decide to tackle things before they get worse .

coozer

posted on 20/1/12 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
New MOT rules???? what do you mean by that?

All then fails are old stuff, had all that stuff years ago when I had 1.6D Astras....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

PSpirine

posted on 20/1/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
When I was failed on a split CV gaitor I was genuinely thankful. Not something I noticed, and it had already started to deteriorate the CV joint itself. Fairly easy to change and only costs a couple of quid.

Consider it an early warning preventing you from having to swap out a CV joint

Balljoints and track rods will get ruined just as quickly if the gaitor is split.

Obviously an advisory would've been more pleasant, but I'd swap all of those out either way!

froggy

posted on 20/1/12 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
The ones that are new are any damage to the little boots on track rods , ball joints and anti roll bar drop links which could be expensive if you have alloy wishbones that come with the ball joint fixed in , there are some kits to replace the boots but it's still a pita .

paulf

posted on 20/1/12 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have successfully repaired small splits with super glue or sika flex in the past, if cleaned and degreased with brake cleaner or similar and good quality super glue used it is possible for small splits.
Paul

gazza285

posted on 21/1/12 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Reading the rules my van will fail, all bar one of the dash lights have failed.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 21/1/12 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The mot is an assessment of the vehicle on the day it comes in and unless I can predict the condition of a mechanical component in 28 days it's pass and advise ,

This is interesting, I'd agree, that's what advisory's are for, but I did find someone somewhere who was an MOT guy who was failing people on sometihng he was sure would fail within a year.

coyoteboy

posted on 21/1/12 at 02:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'm even more curious now - assuming a kit car with rose jointed suspension pivots all round, and so no rubber boots, is that a fail? assuming you were designing the suspension properly and had a captivated spherical as top and bottom outboard joints instead of rod ends, I can't find any boots that would securely cover that sort of joint.

[Edited on 21/1/12 by coyoteboy]

Ninehigh

posted on 21/1/12 at 04:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

The mot is an assessment of the vehicle on the day it comes in and unless I can predict the condition of a mechanical component in 28 days it's pass and advise ,

This is interesting, I'd agree, that's what advisory's are for, but I did find someone somewhere who was an MOT guy who was failing people on sometihng he was sure would fail within a year.

The past 6 MOTs I've put the Mondeo through have required a tail/brake bulb... Would this guy thus just fail it as a matter of course?

chrisbeale

posted on 21/1/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Seats must move forward and aft in at least 2 positions...... Mine are bolted down in one position. Surely I don't have to fit runners?
stevebubs

posted on 21/1/12 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Even a small split in a cv/gaiter boot, WILL get larger very soon, and in 12 months time on the next MOT the item would be well shagged

and if the car involved had 4 tiny splits as you say, i would say, the mot guy was correct in failing the car

Steve

Just had the car up on ramps and had a quick look.

The TRE and Wishbone ball joint gaiters are perished but not yet split all the way through.
One CV Boot is missing a clip and hence loose (defo a valid fail)
The other CV boot has very minor nick in it

Most MOT testers I've had would have failed point 2 and made the rest advisory....but then she didn't go where I recommended but where her "mate" works

flibble

posted on 21/1/12 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Seats must move forward and aft in at least 2 positions...... Mine are bolted down in one position. Surely I don't have to fit runners?

I asked that question of an MOT tester I know well and he assured me that it's only for seats that move, Ie. if you slide the seat forward/back and it wont lock, just slides of it's own accord, then it'd fail (obviously), fixed seats are fine

ChrisW

posted on 21/1/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I also believe that, as of 1st Jan, any warning light on the dash is a fail. My Audi was moaning about brake pads so I made sure I took it in before the new year. Plenty of 'meat' on them, the tester remarked that from what he saw he would normally have told me they were getting close but wouldn't have put an advisory, but if I'd have brought it in 48 hours later it would have been a fail under the new regs.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macc man

posted on 21/1/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget we are in a recession and any excuse for extra work on customers cars cannot be missed. I only use my local guy because I trust him, I have been ripped off by others in the past. Beware there are stiil rogues out there.
PSpirine

posted on 21/1/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
If the warning lights thing is true, I suggest you top up all your fluids - new cars have a warning light for everything..
ChrisW

posted on 21/1/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
If the warning lights thing is true, I suggest you top up all your fluids - new cars have a warning light for everything..

It's true! I was even warned that my Mrs' car should be failed because the washer fluid warning was on. Luckily he had a hose pipe very close by...

Chris

My gaff my rules

britishtrident

posted on 21/1/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
CV joint gaitor even a small slit has been a fail for a long time with good reason.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 21/1/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I have successfully repaired small splits with super glue or sika flex in the past, if cleaned and degreased with brake cleaner or similar and good quality super glue used it is possible for small splits.
Paul

Yes that works.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 21/1/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
quote:

I asked that question of an MOT tester I know well and he assured me that it's only for seats that move, Ie. if you slide the seat forward/back and it wont lock, just slides of it's own accord, then it'd fail (obviously), fixed seats are fine

In the old days it was not unknown for cars to to come for MOT with the seats not bolted down in any way.

[/I]

froggy

posted on 22/1/12 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
CV joint gaitor even a small slit has been a fail for a long time with good reason.

nothing in the guide says that a small slit consitutes a fail , the wording says deteriorated or insecure so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt , to me a small split isnt a fail unless the boot is covered in cv grease

coyoteboy

posted on 23/1/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
The bolted down seat one is another issue - manual could read two ways. There's a clear indication that an adjuster mechanism must work correctly, but the top of the page says original designs are to be accepted.
britishtrident

posted on 24/1/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
The bolted down seat one is another issue - manual could read two ways. There's a clear indication that an adjuster mechanism must work correctly, but the top of the page says original designs are to be accepted.

Yep loads of older vehicles didn't have adjustable seats even after the vintage era -- GPO vans, Ex-army vehicles.

[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.