Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: A question of power?
rf900rush

posted on 4/2/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Found this on ebay 1999 Dax Rush Kit Car 4x4 chassis, suspension, Brakes,Diff & huge load of extras | eBay

No Idea who's it is.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Antnicuk

posted on 4/2/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Pond, you are not that far from me, if you want to come out for a spin in mine to see what 400 bhp feels like, you are welcome. It can be driven on the road and the power delivery is very smooth and linear. A V8 will be harder to drive fast as it has a big dollop of torque which will break traction very early in the revs. Thats not what you want in a light car, which is BEC's are so quick and you dont see many quick V8 kit cars around a track. Mine is for sale BTW

[Edited on 4-2-12 by Antnicuk]

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

pond

posted on 4/2/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
Found this on ebay 1999 Dax Rush Kit Car 4x4 chassis, suspension, Brakes,Diff & huge load of extras | eBay

No Idea who's it is.

Nor me, but he (she) can't spell. Also why sell most of a car and then say the rest is available separately? Marketing ploy? I wouldn't go near it for those reasons. And the fact I want a built car!

[Edited on 4/2/12 by pond]

It isn't rocket science........except rocket science!!

pond

posted on 4/2/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Anyway, we digress! Back to the original question:

Do all manufacturers use space-frame chassis?

Are any stronger/ built better than others?

cheers

Andy

rf900rush

posted on 4/2/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Most I believe are space frames.

My only experince is on my own.
Dax offered 3 basic types at the time.
CEC chassis.
BEC square tube, this was lighter tube than the CEC
And the Camber comp. round tube.

Bad spelling is not alwas a bad thing.

Spelling mistakes on ebay means less buyer's looking.

I managed to get a set of GSXR600 injection bodies (Bodys) off ebay for less than £30, and they were in good condtion.

Although I do not like buying items with additional charges for the extras.

[Edited on 4/2/12 by rf900rush]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 5/2/12 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
The only now space frame 7 I know of is the Robin Hood/GBS car.

Otherwise, as has been said, the Procomp and MNR frames are meant to be and certainly look to be the best out there. Many others are missing the extra triangulation that they both have, which is what makes the difference as a 7 frame is mostly a 7 frame otherwise. Having said that, adding that triangulation to a bare chassis isn't hard to do if you can weld.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Sam_68

posted on 5/2/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY SiThe only non space frame 7 I know of is the Robin Hood/GBS car.

There's also the Quantum Xtreme; there have been others, but none that you'll commonly encounter in the UK.

And the current Robin Hood/GBS is also a spaceframe.

adithorp

posted on 5/2/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
As has been said actual power isn't everything in a light car. In a 500kg car 100bhp will be fun, 140 will be quick, 180 will be seriously quick and 250 balistic. Increase the weight to 600kg and 140 becomes fun, etc. The light weight also adds to the handling. Of course the easiest way of keeping the weight down is to go BEC.

Back to the original question...

Try looking at as many cars as you can and getting (blagging) rides in a few. If you're not in too much of a hurry then Stoneleigh show (May6/7) is your best bet. Track days might be another opertunity or Detling show at Easter (?).

Raw Strikers have had high output engines put in then. Omex had/have one with a circa 400bhp supercharged zetec in it and Raw have a Pheonix (same chassis as Striker) with 350bhp 'charged zetec and JeffW on here is converting his Pheonix to 350bhpish 'charged zetec. Antnicuk also has big power in his Stylus (as seen earlier in this thread). Striker, Pheonix, Fury, Stylus, are all similar design chassis by Jeremy Phillips)
If it's as much about the challenge of upgrading, you could do a lot worse than starting with a Striker (or Pheonix,Fury,Stylus) and have some fun with whatever engine it comes with then upgrade.

...but avoid the Robin Hoods...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scudderfish

posted on 5/2/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
A think _really_ hard about doing something like this :- http://www.carlimits.com/ You'll enjoy the car more and hopefully be less likely to kill someone.
DIY Si

posted on 5/2/12 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
A think _really_ hard about doing something like this :- http://www.carlimits.com/ You'll enjoy the car more and hopefully be less likely to kill someone.

A damn good point. All the power in the world is of no use what so ever if you don't have the required skills to use it! You may already be a good driver, but most folk I know who have never driven a 7 just don't know quite what to expect the first time they drive one. But once they do, they keep coming back for more!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pond
I can see the points above and agree mostly.

Surely, though, it's the WAY an engine provides its power that is as important, if not more so, than just bhp.

For instance, I can imagine a BEC is 'all hell' or nothing, a tuned 4 pot is similar only less so, but a big block (V8), even slightly tuned, will be inherently more torquey, thus being more driveable and tractable at any given moment, making it more 'all things to all men'?!

I am even thinking about making a road going show car, mainly cos I'm a show off and like attention!!

Two points for me to add here;

If the car you end up with is too scary or not that nice to drive, the you who nt want to drive it, and will feel under pressure when doing so. This could distract you when you need your confidence and abilities the most.

As you say, BHP isn't the only consideration, it's the delivery. A turbo engine will go all blurry at high speeds very quickly, where as a V8 will have more low down torque to get you to the faster speed quickly and (IMO) more usable on UK roads and fun to drive.

I've driven a tiger with 210hp on a track day, and that was plenty quick enough, handled well, and was overtaking Porsches etc.m it was however, quite lively on the rear end and span on me twice. In a car of that weight, I think more Han 250-300 is a waste.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

britishtrident

posted on 5/2/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:

A damn good point. All the power in the world is of no use what so ever if you don't have the required skills to use it! You may already be a good driver, but most folk I know who have never driven a 7 just don't know quite what to expect the first time they drive one. But once they do, they keep coming back for more!

Yes
Even the most basic tintop engine fitted in a typical 7 style car should result in 200bhp/ton.
These days not that many drivers under 40 have even driven a RWD car of any description, starting RWD experience in a light car with upwards of 200bhp/ton is something of a culture shock.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

pond

posted on 5/2/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for all your input with this thread.

You are all, of course, right. I will look for a Zetec-engined car, not fussed about the make. If I choose to upgrade it at a later date, then I can can.

The V8 Locost mentioned at the start has now gone, anyway, more's the pity!

I have had a couple of very kind offers of rides by local people to me (thank you), so may take them up on this before committing. I will also go down to Tiger Racing and have a chat with them very shortly, as they are only around the corner.

Cheers

Andy

stevebubs

posted on 5/2/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:

Yes
Even the most basic tintop engine fitted in a typical 7 style car should result in 200bhp/ton.
These days not that many drivers under 40 have even driven a RWD car of any description, starting RWD experience in a light car with upwards of 200bhp/ton is something of a culture shock.

Ahem...35 and had RWD cars since I was 22...the only deviation from that was 18 months of Mondeo company car (now F10 BMW and no issues in the snow so far...)

SCAR

posted on 5/2/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Over the last 13 years I've had 7 westfields with a variety of engines, a v6 cobra, an NG TC and now have V8 Luego which I've yet to drive. Without doubt I had the most fun in a well sorted 4 speed 1660 crossflow powered Westy with live axle that had been set up for sprinting.
The car was superb fun. You could cane it on the road without reaching stupid speeds and driving it fast gave a huge sense of achievement.
Power wise it was probably the least powerful of the lot.

hughpinder

posted on 7/2/12 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
As I think has been mentioned, the procomp, mnr and dax chassis seem best made/designed. My friend who works in the aerospace industry bough a dax as he said it was the only one he saw that he liked the welding on (he does inspect welds for a living though). Also, I'm not sure which other ones he'd looked at. If you want an idea of what changes make the chassis stronger, have a search on this forum for 'australian' modifications - that'll tell you the sort of small things to look for on a chassis that make it much stronger.

Regards
Hugh

nickm

posted on 12/2/12 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
There arent many turbo/supercharged cars out there because the cars are to light, i may be wrong but Caterham dont do one but i believe Westfield do but the write ups i have seen are nothing special so if 2 big companies cant make it work well ?
These cars are all about handling they are to uncomfortable for massive speed !!!!
They have no electronic stability programme or fancy gadgets to keep you on the road so a) you can leave the road easily, b) if you know what you are doing they can go faster because you are in total control the car cannot override you.
Lower power is more fun as you have to drive it to get the most out of it.
Tiger must be quite near at Wisbech, why dont you go for a ride with them i had a Tiger but am now building a Sylva for the handling.
The most fun i had was driving at 60 on straight roads because it was so boring and uncomfortable watching everyone overtaking me knowing that when the straight finished we would be on a twisty b road and i would overtake them all back without breaking the speed limit because of its cornering ability.
Why dont you consider building ?

Nick M

daniel mason

posted on 12/2/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
think the csr xc330 is supercharged duratec mate
edited for typo

[Edited on 12/2/12 by daniel mason]

kb58

posted on 12/2/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
...If the wheels spin in all gears most of the time and light upon the corners it's not fun anymore
IMHO

Absolute power may corrupt absolutely, but that's what the throttle's for!

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

franky

posted on 12/2/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
You can have a 330bhp car that doesn't spin its wheels in any gear and will do 0-100's in 7seconds all day long, its all about the way car is set up and how the engine makes its power. This is where I think turbo'd engines loose out. With a nice straight power curve you can't have enough power.
kb58

posted on 13/2/12 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
I don't agree on the turbo, since it can be tuned to apply power only at the high-end where presumably the traction is better. OTOH, a supercharged engine increases low-end torque which is useless in a Locost since it already has enough power to spin the tires down there.

That aside, a turbo can also be tuned to give a very wide torque curve. Here's the dyno graph of my turbo Honda K24 in my mid-engine Midlana, 270+ ft-lbs from 3000 - 8000 rpm.

[Edited on 2/13/12 by kb58]

[Edited on 2/13/12 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

RK

posted on 13/2/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have an MK with 180 dyno'd 180 HP. I have done quite a bit of autoslalom in it. It is seriously scary fast, and I've had several passengers turn white. It would be quite stupid to have a lot more than that unless you want to drag race.
Hellfire

posted on 13/2/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pond
......I have always been a fan of bikes ( I have owned over 30 since I was 16) but have come to the conclusion that bikes are no longer my thing, being 44 now, having a young child and just getting a bit more 'sensible'.

It sounds to me like you need to get a passenger ride in a BEC You have other cars for your day to day transport, so what you really need is a toy for the weekends and something that gives you an adrenalin rush similar to riding bikes...... What better, more sensible way than in a BEC! Four wheels instead of two (much more sensible for cornering), lightweight (excellent power/weight ratio), six speed sequential shift (using paddles) and a 13,000rpm soundtrack to die for

If you've never been in a BEC, give one a try. It could be what you're looking for............

Phil

Dopdog

posted on 13/2/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
do we all not like loads of power?? mine is 272bhp with a supercharger fitted and pulls like a train in all five gears i cannot get enough of it. The only thing i do agree with is that it is too much for road use and yes you are soon in trouble.
RK

posted on 14/2/12 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Nice try Phil. You can fool some of the people some of the time...
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.