Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooling mk with zx12r lump
Doyleee

posted on 11/2/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cooling mk with zx12r lump

Hi i know this topic has been covered before but its time to do some more work on my Mk zx12r ready for warmer days and the main problem i had last year was when doing track days and playing hard with the car it was overheating, i mean the original kawasaki dials after couple of sessions started to flash.
Its currently got (from what the 3rd previous owner told me)a k10 nissan micra rad, ive fitted an override switch that i keep on on sessions and for 5 mins after switch off also i use engine ice which helped alot but still happens, ive even done snettereton with no bonnet on in pouring rain!!! and still hot!!
Whats best for me to do
1. buy performance rad?
2 .change fan to better one?
3.fit oil cooler??
4. all three??
Im an amauture builder but looking for ideas and would much appreciate any help (that includes you hellfire)pleaseeeeeeeeee

wylliezx9r

posted on 11/2/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would firstly find out if all the plumbing is correct, I've seen some installs that are plumbed incorrectly. My install uses the original bike rad which is tiny, I've never had any problems.
Is the header tank higher than the head of the engine?

[Edited on 11/2/12 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Doyleee

posted on 11/2/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes header tank is higher than head of engine (i think will check) and believe its a vw maybe polo.
phoenix70

posted on 11/2/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
have you got any ducting round the rad to force all the air through it? not a bec but that how i solved the overheating problem with my pinto. Air always takes the easiest route so if it can it will go round the rad, rather than through it

[Edited on 11/2/12 by phoenix70]

Doyleee

posted on 11/2/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there is a shroud around rad forcing air to take the rad route,
cheers Lee.

Jon Ison

posted on 11/2/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doyleee
Yes there is a shroud around rad forcing air to take the rad route,
cheers Lee.

You need to check the plumbing is correct but the above rang alarm bells if I understand it correctly, is the fan/shroud in front of the rad ? If so it won't be helping all it will be restricting air flow into the rad.

I don't run a fan at all on my predominately track used car, 100 mph wind should provide far more cooling than a fan can.

To cool effectively you need............
The correct sized rad.
Correct plumbing.
Good airflow to the rad.
Good airflow exiting the rad.
A fan for stop start traffic.

Running 100% anti freeze will drop temps a bit.
Running water wetter will drop temps a bit more.

Neither will compensate for a poor cooling setup.

All imho of course.

Doyleee

posted on 11/2/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
The fan is behind rad pulling heat away from rad ,the what i call 'shroud' is bits of tinwear around the fan i.e above and from memory (as cars been in mother-in-laws garage all winter)either side between nose cone and rad thus stopping air going round rad but forcing air through it and yes the faster i go the more the temperature reduces but i run out of track!
Jon Ison

posted on 11/2/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just another quick one, overheating, what temps you seeing, I saw the mention of flashing light but what's the actual temp ?

Could it be a dodgy temp sender setting off a warning light or is it defiantly overheating ?

Doyleee

posted on 11/2/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
This occured to me but im using the original kawasaki guages which i presume are accurate things feel pretty hot to me so i either speed up or pull in as not to cook the head.
Jon Ison

posted on 11/2/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Think your next step is to fit a acurate temp gauge (permanent or temporary) you may be chasing a problem thats not there, either way a different fan is not the answer so that rules #2 out of your list.
imp paul

posted on 11/2/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
hope this helps but paul a pal of mine spire sports cars.does away with the pump and fits a high flow pump Davis Craig type. this seems to work very well

cheers paul

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/2/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I like to check the simplest things first, to rule them out.

You havn't wired the fan the wrong way? I did and it made the fan spin the wrong way, so it blew air through the rad the wrong way, which would have cocked things up no end if I hadn;t have checked it with a peice of tissue paper.

[Edited on 11/2/12 by Dangle_kt]

Doyleee

posted on 11/2/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe good idea to get another gauge to check accurate temp,
will look at diffferent pumps but if other people have same set up and getting no probs makes me wonder why mines not working as good?? and yes fans def sucking not blowing.

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/2/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you are 100% that the plumbing is right, have you checked the water pump?
Doyleee

posted on 11/2/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
How do you mean '
checked the water pump'

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/2/12 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
How do you mean '
checked the water pump'

Something doesn't sound right in your setup because others with smaller rads arn't having your problems

So in my mind, either its plumbed in wrong, or something has gone faulty.

Its not unheard of that impeller blades get damaged, or that something in the assembly fails - if the coolant wasn't being pushed round the system 100% ( maybe on or two damaged blades) it would cause overheating which would only be noticable when the engine was working hard like a track day.

it would be pretty simple to drop the coolant and check the water pump isn;t damaged - impeller, bearing play etc.

Doyleee

posted on 12/2/12 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
yes sounds feasible i will give it a try did not give that a thought,
Cheers Lee.

[Edited on 12/2/12 by Doyleee]

wylliezx9r

posted on 12/2/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Rather than fitting a new temp gauge you can use one of those laser type sensors on the coolant pipes, that's what the rolling roads use.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Doyleee

posted on 12/2/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Very good idea was going to buy one anyway to check heat of wood burner any idea what temps should be looking at guessing 120 max mark????
Dangle_kt

posted on 12/2/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Very good idea was going to buy one anyway to check heat of wood burner any idea what temps should be looking at guessing 120 max mark????

The optimal temp for a fireblade is more like 94-98c if I remember correctly. I'd imagine you wouldn't want to see much above 100 as a normal running temp, with 110-120 being a sign of over heating. But the zx12 may be very different, so Have you got a zx12 manual? It may say in there? If not I've got a copy I can look in, just let me know.

Jon Ison

posted on 12/2/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
As a guide my Busa runs at around 95 water , 105 oil during a 1 hour non stop track session.
Doyleee

posted on 12/2/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
No not got manual Dangle_kt ,if you could look it up would much appreciate it
From memory the radiator fan switch opens at 93c and closes at 89c as i said its off nissan micra, I changed fan switch because was not cutting in so hence why put manual overide switch but as jon said racing at over 100mph should do more than fan would.
I dont know if this helps or not but in traffic, gauge does go up quite high sometimes flashes on hot day but blast it and cools slightly.

Hellfire

posted on 12/2/12 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Lee, it sounds like you have a setup almost identical to ours and also suffer from similar problems that we used to encounter. Firstly, I wouldn't be too concerned about the water temperature gauge going mad after a few hard sessions on track. We fitted an oil temperature and pressure gauge to determine the oil temperature and set the alarm to trigger at 105 degrees. We found the oil temperature would always trigger just before the water temperature but whilst on cooling down laps and coming into the pits, the temperatures would continue to rise slightly, triggering the water temperature gauge to go berserk before cooling down again.

The modifications we made to overcome this, was to cut some vents in the bonnet to allow heat to escape more quickly and also fitted mesh with larger holes in the nosecone. We found the type of mesh fitted to the nosecone can have a profound effect on the cooling, so this may be worth looking at on yours.....

Phil

Doyleee

posted on 12/2/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting Hellfire where is best to fit oil temp and pressure gauge? what mesh is best? wanted one with no emblem and where best to place them got any pics of the above,also do you think high performance rad would change things alot?
,sorry for all the Q's wanted to get problem sorted sooner rather than later,
Many thanks in advance,
Lee.

jacko

posted on 12/2/12 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
As Phil says make sure the mesh in the nose cone has BIG holes Andy w on here had heating problems until he removed the mesh

Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.