Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First time welding
rb968

posted on 26/2/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
First time welding

Managed to borrow a bloody huge welder from a mate to have my rollcage welded in over the next week or so (don't worry I am not doing this myself ! as the following images will evidence!). Came with a bottle of Argoshield light and a mahoosive reel of wire.
Borrowed welder
Borrowed welder

So thought I would have a practice myself once it was setup on various bits of scrap I had in the garage.
Description
Description

First efforts were frankly poor as the autodimming mask was a new experience and set too dark so I kept wandering.

Started on 3mm mild steel plate. Top was a butt weld and my first series of mostly blind efforts. Bottom one was 3rd continuous weld.
Description
Description

I was pretty happy with it.
Description
Description

Ended up cutting and welding various bits of steel and some exhaust tube to try welding different thickness'.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Then had a go with thin wall 20mmx 1.25 box and some 16 x 1mm tube.
Description
Description

All comments welcome. Basically I started with the settings under the cover on the welder. Only experience is previously having a go with an old Snap-on welder my Dad had which was knackered. I have spent a lot of time talking to and watching the welder at work but he tig welds normally.

Anyway, enjoyed trying to learn something new. Blew a few holes in the thin wall stuff and travel speed took some time to get right (or better anyway!)

Rich

designer

posted on 26/2/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
If that is your first attempt, then it's bloody good!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 26/2/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
If that is your first attempt, then it's bloody good!!

+1

daviep

posted on 26/2/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Very good for a first effort

Current is a tiny bit high on the 3mm plates, that's what is giving you the small amount of spatter and you can see in pic#4 that there is a bit of under cut at the side of the weld. Nothing too much to worry about just to let you know what causes it.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

rb968

posted on 26/2/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Genuinely my previous effort was basically tacking bits together for the welder at work to then sort out with his tig. Bird sh1t does not begin to describe It as the wire feed tensioner had broken and we had to push down on it with a piece of wood. Having some decent kit made a lot of difference.

YouTube videos were a big help as well believe it or not.

rb968

posted on 26/2/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Daviep, my first attempts seemed to be sitting on top of the plate so I turned it up another notch. Is I better to use a lower power but move slower then?
ashg

posted on 26/2/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
great first welds, mig is pretty easy if you have got good kit.

[Edited on 26/2/2012 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

bonzoronnie

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Looking great for first time welds

Been having a look at picture 3 & can't quite tell if you are left or right handed ?

If you are right handed, try pushing the weld from Right to left ( Travel Right to Left ). This is the usual correct direction of travel when using a MIG welder

Of course vice versa if you are left handed.

Give it a try & you should see improved results.

Great start though

rb968

posted on 27/2/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Right handed and I was pushing from right to left. (edited as the top weld in photo 3 might have been done with the plate the other way round.....it was my first efforts. Can't recall.

Perhaps mistakenly I was working in a circular motion looping back on myself as I travelled along.

This is probably wrong and something I had seen a video on.

Just showed my efforts to the welder at work........

He was very kind.... but suggested I can just run the weld along a butt joint and not bother with any side to side motion. He also repeated what Daviep said about too much current so I was getting an undercut visible at the edges of the weld. More wire less power or just less power.

My colleague asked if I had been welding under a flock of seagulls which I thought was harsh!

Any advice gratefully received.

Rich

[Edited on 27/2/12 by rb968]

Mad Dave

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Perhaps mistakenly I was working in a circular motion looping back on myself as I travelled along

This could be causing any undercut you might be getting as you are pulling and pushing the molten pool

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.