Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vag tdi 140 vs cdti 150
sdh2903

posted on 6/3/12 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
vag tdi 140 vs cdti 150

Hi all been looking at changing the tin top for something a bit smaller and a bit more frugal but still able to tow the kit when needed.

Have looked at mainly mk5 golf gt tdi 140's but they do hold their value well and are usually quite high milers, also they do seem to have a few more problems than with the pd 130 engine. Googling seems to bring up porous heads, turbo issues engine mounts etc. Any one had any experience of the 2.0 vag 140 engine?

Also whilst mooching around the auctions today stumbled across a very tidy astra cdti 150, went cheap but bottled out of bidding due to no knowledge of them and ive never driven one, I intend to try and get a go in one tomorrow hopefully. Again anyone any experience of the cdti 150? any issues to look out for etc?

I do think the golf may hold its value better than the astra and is better built but then on the flipside i could get a newer lower mile astra for the same money. and in my experience with both makes, parts seem cheaper for the vauxhall.

nick205

posted on 6/3/12 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
horses for courses IMHO, both are good cars/engines, both will have their specific weaknesses and niggles. I've had/have several 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs in several different cars, all have been good. Not had one, but I'd also be looking at Leons and Octavias.

Ninehigh

posted on 6/3/12 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
I get the feeling that somebody's going to say that an astra/golf sized car might not be suitable for towing a kit.

sdh2903

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Max towing weight on the Astra Is 1590 kgs kit & trailer is only 8 or 900max. I've towed with a golf before and it was fine.
phoenix70

posted on 6/3/12 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just got rid of a 1.9 CTDI150 Vaux, can't say it was a bad car, but I did have a few things go wrong with it. I believe they suffer from the dual mass flywheel issues. I had a wheel bearing go at 40,000 miles, and the alternator packed up not long after. Also had to change the air-con condenser due to failure. got to say it's a good engine with plenty of poke

I've got a 2.0 SEAT Leon now, so that has the pd140 engine in it and I can't say i've notice the drop in power, although mine has the DSG gearbox on it. Only got the Leon a few months back, so a bit early to comment on reliability.

Cheers

Scott

will121

posted on 6/3/12 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
i picked up a 55 plate 94k 150 Cdti vectra estate last year for £2200 and seems to tow 1200kg fine with no great issues, the list max 150bhp in my opinion make it a bit peeky and can take off a but when hit the relevant revs, think a good torque spread better for towing rather than peak BHP and dont know how the vauxhall and VW's compare
Slimy38

posted on 6/3/12 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've been a SEAT owner for a while now, and being on a SEAT forum I hear a lot about the diesel engines. Yes there are horror stories, but overall I think they're still very good engines. As mentioned they're not just Golf bound, they are the same in Skoda, SEAT and Audi. Personally I wouldn't pay the premium for brand snobbery, I'd go for Skoda or SEAT to get the same car but with a cheaper badge.

Personally I would disregard the Vauxhall CDTI engines and look towards the Ford TDCI as an alternative. CDTI seem to be just a bit 'meh', whereas there is a lot of praise for the TDCI's. And you'll get a lot more Mondeo than an Astra for the same money. I'd almost be tempted to put a TDCI engine top of the buying list, even though I've never owned a Ford.

sdh2903

posted on 6/3/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have been looking at the seat's mainly leons and the ones with the 140 lump are newer and a bit out of budget. With regard the ford tdci, I have not heard that much good said about them to be honest, some close friends have had horror stories with injectors and fuel pumps etc. Skodas are out, not because i'm a snob but i dont like the fabia and the octavia is a bit bigger than what I need.

Well i've driven the astra today, sadly the one i drove was a heap despite the dealer describing it as mint, blue smoke, noisy engine and there was a lot of rattles from front suspension. It was quick though and was a decent looking car.

Ive got an 04 golf gttdi to look at tomorrow, surprisingly with only 50k on the clock.

The 2 cars I fancy are the above golf or an astra thats 18 months newer but with 79k and around 500 cheaper (not the one at todays dealer).

decisions decisions

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.