Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring 2x Fuel Pumps
AntonUK

posted on 11/3/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring 2x Fuel Pumps

Hi All,
I'm starting to think about how to wire my fuel pumps. I have both a low and high pressure pumps, which will be switched from the megasquirt.

MSExtra Diag Here

My plan was to just run an additional fuse from from the relay'ed feed to the 2nd pump, which is easy enough.

But I would also like to run an inertia switch to cut them both out in the event of a bump. I'm planning on putting this switch inline with the megasquirt to fuel pump relay feed (the green wire on the diag).

Can anyone see an issue with this?

Build Photos Here

phoenix70

posted on 11/3/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I assume the LP pump is feeding a swirl pot, not a big problem but, you will need to prime the swirl pot somehow, the MS feed only fires a short priming pulse, then doesn't run the HP pump until you crank the engine. When I had MS, I just created a seperate Ignition feed for my LP pump (fused and relay of course)

Just my 2p worth

ChrisW

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Whenever I've done this in the past I've wired the lift pump (low pressure pump) to the normal switched live from the ignition and the high pressure pump from the megasquirt. That way the swirl pot can be primed so that the high pressure pump doesn't suck up air, which can be fatal on older ones.

It's also worth trying to ensure that the low pressure feed into the swirl pot is higher than the high pressure outlet, especially if the swirl pot is higher than the regular tank. That way if you get any kind of syphon starting up when the pumps are off it can't drain the swirl pot down to a point where there is no fuel available at startup.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AntonUK

posted on 12/3/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
A very good point about priming, something I hadnt thought about.

Build Photos Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.