Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build a sports car for £250!
caber

posted on 1/4/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Build a sports car for £250!

OK it will cost a bit more but I have most of the makings of a Ron Champion Locost, I built one and was going to build a second with a friend who unfortunately went to Germany to work. It's been in the lockup for a couple of years and is not going to get built so here is the offer of a lifetime

book design chassis
Back axle from a Capri
Type 9 gearbox
propshaft (needs new hardy spicer)
1600 Pinto
Sierra uprights and adaptors
4 build wheels
4 Ford laser alloys need refurbing
quite a lot of other bits and pieces

It is all packed into my lock up and if you are interested you really need to come and take a look. I really would rather get rid of this as a job lot so if you want it all you can have it for £249.99, I guarantee it will save you months of work and searching for the bits. You can also take a look at my locost which uses all the same bits except the uprights, it will give you an idea of how it will turn out.

Caber

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

MsD

posted on 1/4/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Bargain! Just two years too late for me!

GLWTS, Mark.

billy

posted on 1/4/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm interested, have you got any pics of it?

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

emsfactory

posted on 2/4/12 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
1st of April?
caber

posted on 3/4/12 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
No pictures at the moment it is all stuffed up the far end of the lock up and I need help to drag it out! It really is only sensible for someone in driving range as there is a lot of stuff to take home at the end of the day!

OK I posted on April 1 but at 7 PM near enough, jokes supposed to be delivered before 12! This is a genuine attempt to pass on a fair bit of work and kit to get someone else some fun building and driving a Locost.

I really do need to clear some space and get rid of projects that are not going to go anywhere in the foreseeable future. Sadly my Albacore dinghy will also have to go and even (sniff!) the Locost I built if things get any more difficult. Currently it is SORN as I can't afford insurance.

Caber

billy

posted on 3/4/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
After posting that I realised it would be a 900mile round trip so I think your right

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Slimy38

posted on 3/4/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billy
After posting that I realised it would be a 900mile round trip so I think your right

I'm in the same boat (although 'only' 600 miles for me), I'd be tapping on Caber's door if it were closer... someone is going to get a nice start for their kit car career.

[Edited on 3/4/12 by Slimy38]

caber

posted on 7/4/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
bump
caber

posted on 12/4/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Is there really no one in Scotland or North of England wanting to build a Locost this year? I really do want to move this stuff on!

Caber

coyoteboy

posted on 12/4/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love to but there's just too much stuff missing for me to consider it close to a quick build (which is fair enough considering hte price!) and it's far enough away from my main plans to consider changing for the cheapness. Good luck though!
imagineer

posted on 12/4/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe ...

I'm entirley new to the Locost phenomena, and am keen to get involved in the 750mc racing.

If I spent one day every weekend building a car from your 'kit' will it take me months or years?

Who made the chassis?

Realistically, how much would I need to spend to create an MSA race car from this donor package?

Not Anumber

posted on 12/4/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
It would be worth a shout on the Haynes forum too Caber, there are some builders in Scotland plus a substantial group of builders in North East England. Lots of people on there who'd like to get started but cant find a Sierra donor etc.
caber

posted on 13/4/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
@ Imagineer It took me 2 years from a standing start including building a chassis from scratch. From what i know having built one I guess it would take me no more than a year to get from what I have now to a car. I did spend a couple of weeks in the two years taken as holidays to get a lot done, I also spent the odd summer evening and a couple of winter evenings towards the end fettling bits and pieces. If you are anywhere near Edinburgh you are more than welcome to come over, take a look at the bits and have a good chat about it.

@Not Anumber I guess you were, like me, at least partly inspired by the opening sequence of the Prisoner I may have a go on the Haynes forum if there is no more interest here

Caber

imagineer

posted on 13/4/12 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for getting back to me.

Having spoken to 'management', I've been informed that disappearing into the garage on a regualr basis for a few years could be frowned upon.

So ... I've bought a race ready 750mc car for a little shy of £4k, so that we can get on with the fun stuff.

Unfortunately, we live in Suffolk; a good 16 hour round trip to you - during which my Land Cruiser could easily drink £500 of diesel while towing our trailer.

Did you try eBay?

There are unfinished projects selling for £1k plus ...

Not Anumber

posted on 13/4/12 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I must confess I am rather into the Prisoner and am currently trying to find out the exact colour of KAR120C from Lotus as it's not easy to tell if it's Forest green, British Racing green or dark british racing green from the footage.

I'will be making up a spare wheel carrier for the back but probably stick with the cyle wings rather than clamshells as everyone says they tend to work like an airbrake.

Be seeing you.

caber

posted on 18/4/12 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of green clamshell wings that I was going to use, I believe hey are Westfield and really did not line up properly on the standard locost chassis, I can sell you those! There is a lot said about adverse aerodynamic effects but i really c=don't think it can make that much difference at road speeds particularly if you have a heavyish engine! By the time I got to the end of m build I really did not have the money or enthusiasm for a proper paint job so mine is bare ally. in retrospect that might not have been such a good idea as trying to keep the ally nice is a bit of a losing battle! I would say the decision to paint needs to be made rather earlier than you might think otherwise there is an awful lot of dismantling required. The problems arise when you are either trying to fit everything together or trying to get it to work! I guess I was to eager to get it running1

caber

thomc

posted on 20/4/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I may be interested. I do have a few questions first. I'm a uni student, so I have quite a long summer holiday and this kind of project would be good to get a break from the academic stuff. How much extra do you reckon this project would cost (at a minimum) to finish? And how many days of full-time work on the build do you think would be needed to finish it? Mind you this would be my first time doing anything like this, so I would be starting completely from scratch in 'car building knowledge'.
caber

posted on 23/4/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Tom,

Difficult questions to answer.

You can spend as much as you like on finishing this. It depends a lot on what you build and what you buy. You will need a set of wishbones and railing arms, I built them for mine it is not difficult but is a welding job. Bodywork is another question. I bought wings and nose cone off ebay and the rest is a couple of sheets of aluminium. I bought new but if you follow the book advice you can get second hand sheet from scrappies, A steering rack is needed, again scrappy or ebay around £20 or new for around £90.

Time is again dependent on skills. You will learn a lot and no doubt get some new skills. I guess if you are good and really put the hours in and do nothing else you could get it done in 3 months full time. It will be a good break from academic work and really requires altering to a different mind set which is really refreshing.

Do come over and have a look at mine to see what is involved. email me as u2u does not seem to be working properly

kevan.shaw (at) GMAIL. COM

CABER

donny

posted on 23/4/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Blooming Heck! I'm in Edinburgh and have been desperate to kick off a build! Just put down a deposit on a new house which will suck all of our cash. This is what I was after though! How much space does it take up - my birthday is coming up and to be honest £250 is a small drop compared to what we are about to pay to solicitors, IFAs and the government (stamp). I may be able to hide this lot in the back of the garage...

Seriously interested - will float the question this evening and see what I can get away with!

Cheers,
Donny

caber

posted on 26/4/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Donny ,

Currently stored across the end of my lock up You need to come and take a look! I am traveling at the moment will be back Sunday afternoon late-ish. Drop me your phone number by email, kevan.shaw (at) gmail.com. I am having problems with u2u on here at the moment.

Caber

caber

posted on 18/5/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I am bAck from travels and still need to move this on. Please get in touch folks!

Caber

caber

posted on 12/6/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have now been let down twice with people definitely coming for this stuff and not turning up. If there is no interest in this as a job lot I will definitely consider selling bits. So if no offers by this weekend I will photograph bits particulalry if there is anything anybody desperately wants.

caber

graham-e

posted on 23/6/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is this still for sale as a job lot? Have you any photos showing the condition of the chassis?

Cheers

caber

posted on 23/6/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Still for sale one note of interest bu U2U but fed up of being messed so first to arrive with cash and a transit or trailer gets it! Chassis difficult to photograph. Largely painted in assorted paint so needs sanding down or stripping to paint properly but at least not rusty!

Caber

splitrivet

posted on 23/6/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Still not sold !!!! All I can say is people will look a gift horse in the mouth.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.