Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2k Paint Dangers
T66

posted on 2/4/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
2k Paint Dangers

I know we know the dangers of 2K paint, but heres a guy who didnt and was brave enough to post up his mega error, which nearly killed him.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14051

I was doing a small paint job a couple of weeks ago in the shed i've got two extracter fans one large one small so on i went with the job mask on a 3M thought that will do the job and it did for the face. the bad mistake was not understanding the paint as i have always used 2K. It wasnt till i woke up in hospital that i was told that I had to be brought back to life as my lungs had shut down and didnt know that it contains isocyante or something like that so it's celluloss from now on. Reply With Quote

Food for thought folks.

Stott

posted on 2/4/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've read that before but as an aside, I was using PU sealant today and noticed on the tube it warns that it contains Isocyanates.

I checked all the different brand tubes I have and sure enough every one says "warning - contains Isocyanates"

I know it's not the same as misting them into a spray but still, Mad or what!

jollygreengiant

posted on 2/4/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Similar dangers to this have been covered before, also about 2 pack floor paint. Just see my post on this subject in this link Two pack linky

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

blakep82

posted on 2/4/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
IF (and thats a big if...) the mask was suitable for 2k paints as some are rated for 2k paints, something he doesn't say was whether or not he also used the mask when he was mixing the paint! i would be VERY surprised if he absorbes enough of the nasty stuff through his eyes and skin while doing this small paint job.
didn't read the whole thread though...

charcoal filters are good for removing livestock odours and organic vapours, from a quick googling

i don't imagine this one gives absolute protection like air fed masks
eBay Item
but much better than charcoal filters!

friend of my mum and dads used to paint curtain side trucks in australia, he said that all the painters he's ever known that have breathing troubles usually only wear masks when spraying, but crucially, not when mixing paints, when they're standing right over mixing cups, and are then surprised they get breathing difficulties... its essential to wear a proper mask at all times throughout the process

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 3/4/12 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
2k paints don't affect everybody the same way but more importantly the effect on an individual changes with exposure, somebody who has not had previously had any problems using can suddenly become more sensitive and experience a severe reaction next time they are exposed to even a relatively low concentration.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/4/12 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth, I sprayed my Locost with 2K. The conditions were as folllows:

1. Outside under a Gazebo with 2 sides covered to stop the direct wind

2. Disposable one-piece suit with elasticated hood

3. Rubber gauntlets (only used for spraying I might add!)

4. Sealed goggles

5. 2-cartridge Isocyanate disposable mask (checked fitting by using wife's nail polish remover - no smell = good seal )

6. Wore everything whilst mixing as well as spraying

7. As soon as finished spraying, move well away from the job (upwind of course) and return after 10 mins or so

I also took my mask off with my back to the wind and made sure that the mask and goggles were downwind of me whilst waiting too.

It was a PITA and was hot as hell, but I'm still here and suffering no ill-effects. If I was doing this on a regular basis then there is no question that I would get an air-fed mask, but for what I was doing and having read hundreds of articles on the 2K dangers, i decided I would be OK.

Almost forgot, don't forget the neighbouring area might be affected too though so be aware, I was lucky, I had a large yard to work in away from the house.

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice.

HTH

John

[Edited on 3/4/12 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

T66

posted on 3/4/12 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I think on the basis you were outside and using PPE then that was possible, it still excludes 2k for me as my drive is too close to my neighbours etc.

He didnt appear to have any suitable ppe on at all.

Ive learnt something by posting this, as I would not of read the tin when buying garage floor paint, I would of opened it and started painting, and thats my point here, we are easy caught out.

The Shootist

posted on 3/4/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
One more thing often missed....

One thing many forget, is that paint fumes are heavier than air. If you exhaust fans are in a window, the room will still fill with pooled vapor until it reaches the level of the window to be caught by airflow and blown out of the shop.

Air volume should be sufficient that the fumes are diffused and you should be able to stand outside in front of the fan with no ill effects. The trick is knowing the FE (fatal exposure) limits of the paints you work with, and the flow volume required to make it safe.

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/4/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
For what it's worth, I sprayed my Locost with 2K. The conditions were as folllows:

1. Outside under a Gazebo with 2 sides covered to stop the direct wind

2. Disposable one-piece suit with elasticated hood

3. Rubber gauntlets (only used for spraying I might add!)

4. Sealed goggles

5. 2-cartridge Isocyanate disposable mask (checked fitting by using wife's nail polish remover - no smell = good seal )

6. Wore everything whilst mixing as well as spraying

7. As soon as finished spraying, move well away from the job (upwind of course) and return after 10 mins or so

I also took my mask off with my back to the wind and made sure that the mask and goggles were downwind of me whilst waiting too.

It was a PITA and was hot as hell, but I'm still here and suffering no ill-effects. If I was doing this on a regular basis then there is no question that I would get an air-fed mask, but for what I was doing and having read hundreds of articles on the 2K dangers, i decided I would be OK.

Almost forgot, don't forget the neighbouring area might be affected too though so be aware, I was lucky, I had a large yard to work in away from the house.

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice.

HTH

John

[Edited on 3/4/12 by Daddylonglegs]

Isocyanates are permanent, they don't degrade, you must NEVER eat vegetables grown in your garden, and advise your neighbours to follow suit. I spend over £2000pa in filters to contain 2K particulates and gasses to keep the EPA happy and my neighbours alive!

2K is NEVER a DIY alternative, just too dangerous in too many ways

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

flak monkey

posted on 3/4/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
A bit dramatic Mark...

This is the HSE guidance for working with Isocyanate paints:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/priorities/isocyanates.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg388.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/experience/isocyanates.htm

Isocyante isn't the same a cyanide or even an isocyanide which is systemic and builds up in your system... Long term exposure to isocyanates can lead to sensitisation which can mean that the next 'dose' will trigger a severe asthma attack. Its not a poison as such. Unless you can provide any documentation to support what you are saying? The HSE are tight on any sort of VOC emmission from commercial premises whether your are sparying 2k, oil based or celly. We only spray celly at work and have the same equipment, inc airfed masks.

I can't find anything in official documentation stating any other effects than that.

Another doc from the New Zealand equivalent to the HSE:

http://www.osh.dol.govt.nz/order/catalogue/archive/isocyanatepainters.pdf

quote:

How can isocyanates harm you?
All isocyanates are hazardous substances and require care in handling. The greatest
risks are from inhaling vapours, fine droplets (aerosols) and dusts containing
isocyanates, as they irritate the linings of the nose, throat, lungs and eyes.
People exposed to isocyanates at work are at greater risk of developing respiratory
problems, such as asthma, if they breathe in isocyanate vapours or droplets of resin spray.
There is also a risk of skin conditions if there is regular skin contact with isocyanates.

Some of the health effects of isocyanate exposure include:
• eye irritation, watering and discomfort;
• irritation of the respiratory tract;
• dryness of the throat;
• tightness of the chest;
• difficulty in breathing;
• headaches;
• asthma attacks;
• reddening, swelling and blistering of exposed skin if not washed off; and
• dermatitis.

Spraying celly can lead to the same medical problems (dermatitis and asthma)

Personally I spray both, but thats my choice. It's up to the person doing the spraying to decide if they are happy to do it, do your own research, the HSE website is a good place to start and then make your own informed decision

[Edited on 3/4/12 by flak monkey]

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/4/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
A bit dramatic Mark...

Not really, if used in a non purpose built booth, it cannot be contained, if ingested (eaten with food) it will really cause you major health problems, inhalation is almost as bad, skin contact is also harmful.

A good friend and colleague was a bit cavalier with the stuff, poo pooing the dangers etc, he died at 32 as a direct result of 2k so it is a bit of a sore point. I work with the stuff every day, but have ALL the equipment to do so, a full negative pressure booth, expensive airfed masks, disposable overalls, spats, gloves, all the correct procedures etc. All staff have to adhere to the rules or they can work elsewhere

You can NEVER use 2K safely without at least £80K of equipment, whether the danger is to you or those around you - it is selfish and immoral.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/4/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I'd kept my trap shut now

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

sdh2903

posted on 3/4/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day no paint finish on anything is worth risking your health for. Pay to get it done professionally or use a less harmful product.
Neville Jones

posted on 4/4/12 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've been using 2k on cars and mould patterns for the last 26 years. I don't use it every day, or month, but I use it more than a few times a year, and I'm still alive.

I use new 'dust, gas and vapour' charcoal filters every time. Not a cheap option, but at least it keeps you alive, is a lot cheaper than the professional £80k setup that Mark uses.

Just be aware of the where the overspray and drying gases are going.

And most of all, use a bit of common sense.

The old boy who taught me to spray died of lead related illness, from a lifetime of spraying tractor paint. He was over 70yrs old, and had used a proper mask all the time I knew him.

Cheers,
Nev.

stevec

posted on 4/4/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I used to spray Gipfast and 2K about 25 years ago at a garage that had not heard of health and safety and I was probably as much to blame for using the stuff. We had only basic masks and ordinary mechanics overalls spraying in the workshop with no ventilation. I have not had major issues healthwise yet but am expecting longterm issues to come along and regret doing it. I would recomend all to keep away from the stuff if possible.

Steve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.