Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Valuation of haynes style car in ROI
kp

posted on 19/4/12 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Valuation of haynes style car in ROI

Hi,

I'm currently going through the process of registering a Haynes style roadster in Ireland.

Here in Ireland, we pay an VRT tax when we register a new car at the rate of 36% of the open market value. The central vehicle office valued my car (using a consultant and my photos) at 4750euro, which leaves me with a bill of 1710euro to get on the road.

I am going to appeal the valuation, but I will need some evidence to back up the appeal. But I haven't ever seen any locosts for sale in the Irish auto trader or similar sites (maybe because of the VRT?).

Any Ideas on how I could justify a lower valuation on the car.

Bear in mind, I built the car on very much on the low-cost philosophy, I spend about 1000 euros on parts, everything else I begged borrowed or stole from scrapped cars or friends with machining skills/tools

Thanks

ashg

posted on 19/4/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
my haynes roadster cost 3k to build. my build was covered in CKC magazine and i believe i published the cost. i can look up the issue if that is usable as evidence?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Humbug

posted on 19/4/12 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I can see why you would want to reduce the price, but presumably the registration authorities are putting a value on what they think it would fetch on the open market, regardless of how much it actually took to put it together. Not sure about Ireland, but a value of about £4000 for a freshly-built locost doesn't sound wildly wrong.

Apart from trying to show how much you put into it (i.e. less than €4750), could you go back to them and ask them on what basis they come up with their figure, i.e. get them to point to other similar cars and values?

Failing that, depending on the rule in Ireland, could you get it IVAd and registered in NI and them import it back, or would you still have to pay the first registration tax?

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

kp

posted on 19/4/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Humbug,

You are correct, the valuation is based on an open market value, regardless of time and money spent on the build.

The VRT has to be paid on any car being registered for the first time in Ireland regardless of origin, imported or built in a garage, so your idea of bringing it in from NI won't work.

I was actually surprised at the valuation as I wouldn't think that it was a particularly well finished example. (i.e. it does look like a car built by an amateur in his garage)

kevmcdo

posted on 19/4/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
VRT is a right pain. We are moving to Ireland in June and I enquired to see how much it would cost to re register my car and motor bike, feck I nearly collapsed when they told me as it was over 3k
Anyone want a Nissan pathfinder or Honda CBR1000RR in a months time I have some going for a fair price!

kp

posted on 19/4/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
kevmcdo, you don't have to pay the VRT to re-register if "permanently" moving to ireland and bringing your car with you. BUT you can't sell it for 12 months.
kevmcdo

posted on 19/4/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I was planning on selling the bike for another kit during the summer and replace the Pathfinder in around Oct as we change cars every two years before the mileage gets too high. Bit of a pain selling before we go as there might be a period of time without transport!!!
martin62

posted on 20/4/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
vrt

Hi KP what engine are you using because if you are paying vrt at 36% you will end up paying the highest rate of road tax which is approx E2200.If you want any info try IKCC.IE
on_eighty_runner

posted on 22/10/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
a bit late I know, but is there any chance of sharing or having a copy of the valuation report from revenue?
as stated, the engine selection will affect the co2 but this is fixed at registration and doesnt move.

there is a section in the type approval regs for cars with no C02 figures.
I have sent you a PM, give me a call or text if you can,

steve

Zebrano

posted on 7/9/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Did you ever get yor car registered and on the road

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.