Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Move house = insurance increase!
FASTdan

posted on 23/4/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Move house = insurance increase!

So we recently moved house, literally a 5 minute walk door to door. Postcodes both BD17 (bradford). Cars were previously in a shared car park, now parked on a drive.

For the above privelege good ol' Admiral wanted a further 67 ADDED to my premium on my mondeo ST TDCI for the remaining 10 months! Yet, I go on confused.com to see if their claim of 'it goes by exact address, so your risk has increased' is substantiated........Esure want 490 at the old address, 433 at the new address. Likewise the other top 5 insurers in the list were all consistent in asking for less at the new address.



Sooo mad, rang Admiral back and confronted them with this but they wouldnt comment on the above and I ended up cancelling - by the time I've absorbed the cost of admin fee's there's not much in it (though I will still save) but the principle is enough. Expected them to waive it at the threat of cancellation but they wouldn't, the best they'd do was a 50 increase lol.

Admiral must have a pretty 'special' model for assessing risk.....either that or perhaps they're just out to rip you in any way they can.

Apologies for the rant!

[Edited on 23/4/12 by FASTdan]





NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
tegwin

posted on 23/4/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
The day an insurance company does anything other than rip people off will be the day I eat my festering socks!





------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phoenix70

posted on 23/4/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
bet most of that increase is an admin fee for changing your policy

[Edited on 23/4/12 by phoenix70]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 23/4/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix70
bet most of that increase is an admin fee for changing your policy

[Edited on 23/4/12 by phoenix70]


+1 it was on the Radio the other morning that they are all keeping headline policies low by larding on charges for any change.





--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 23/4/12 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
As they are they both BD17 ? as some areas in Bradford the numbers of unisured drivers is higest in the UK ? So assume new address is closer to the no go areas

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 23/4/12 by Agriv8]





Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............


View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 23/4/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not house realated, but just had my Harley MOT'd and found out talking to the tester that it's fitted with non standard wheels. Emailed insurance company just to be safe, and informed them. Got a nice reply saying that was OK and would not affect my premium, Result! Just in case anyone is interested that is with Grove and Dean. Cheers Ray





To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 23/4/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Am sure I saw or read somewhere the other day that parked on the street (maybe shared car park aswell) is Cheeper that it being on the drive.

When the car is in the street it could belong to any house, when it's in the drive it belongs to that house and they break in for the keys, am sure that was the explanation.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
bi22le

posted on 23/4/12 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Am sure I saw or read somewhere the other day that parked on the street (maybe shared car park aswell) is Cheeper that it being on the drive.

When the car is in the street it could belong to any house, when it's in the drive it belongs to that house and they break in for the keys, am sure that was the explanation.


They will never find my keys, and the steering wheel but that is not my concern. Its the tow truck. . . .

Ground anchor will just cause damage to the car when they tow it, a post at the front will be knocked down before they tow it.

Most of the time my car is jacked up and often with wheels off. A challange but still do-able. It just puts them off, it looks broken (again!)







Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
FASTdan

posted on 23/4/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
As they are they both BD17 ? as some areas in Bradford the numbers of unisured drivers is higest in the UK ? So assume new address is closer to the no go areas

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 23/4/12 by Agriv8]


Not really, we've moved sideways relative to the 'no-go' (LOL - love that preconception, its worse than Johannesburg here you know) zones.

Thats my point regarding the online comparison sites, the top 5 were consistently the same companies offering a better premium for the new address.

Driveway point is an interesting one regarding key location - just another example of how they shaft you in every single way they can. Bigger house, nicer area = bigger target. Council flat in a ghetto = Higher chance of vandalism etc.





NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
britishtrident

posted on 23/4/12 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix70
bet most of that increase is an admin fee for changing your policy

[Edited on 23/4/12 by phoenix70]


+1 it was on the Radio the other morning that they are all keeping headline policies low by larding on charges for any change.



Not 100% true my company charge zero for changes if you have been with them for 2 years and only 30 if you have been with them for less.
Also the premium keeps going down with every renewal in spite of having full NCD and sparkling driving license when the policy was taken out seven years ago. The renewal which came in last week was more than 30 less than last year's premium.





[I] What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 23/4/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
There was a story in the papers today where a woman moved 10 doors along the SAME STREET and the insurance company refused to insure her as she was now in a high risk area!
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
As they are they both BD17 ? as some areas in Bradford the numbers of unisured drivers is higest in the UK ? So assume new address is closer to the no go areas

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 23/4/12 by Agriv8]


Not really, we've moved sideways relative to the 'no-go' (LOL - love that preconception, its worse than Johannesburg here you know) zones.

Thats my point regarding the online comparison sites, the top 5 were consistently the same companies offering a better premium for the new address.

Driveway point is an interesting one regarding key location - just another example of how they shaft you in every single way they can. Bigger house, nicer area = bigger target. Council flat in a ghetto = Higher chance of vandalism etc.


Certain parts of Bradford I will avoid driving through if I can durring the day or night.

Regards

Agriv8





Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............


View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I also had this with Admiral, my move was from:

Rented flat on a main commuter road of a quiet village, parking on the road right next to a chinese chippy and a pub, near a junction in a narrow road

to

An owned house, 200 yards away from the flat, cars on own gated driveway in a quiet commuter cul-de-sac road with the old flat visible from the new house.

My insurance went up 36 + admin fees and my other halfs went up 40.

Won't be going with Admiral again unless they offer something spectacular.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Elephant, who are a sister company told me the fee for changing details was a tenner and twice have said they'd not charge me it. Everything you do puts your insurance up, because you have to pay it or lose money cancelling it.





In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Everything you do puts your insurance up, because you have to pay it or lose money cancelling it.


My increases did not include the admin fee (which they didn't charge after I complained).

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.