Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chris Gibb's Book!
STEADY EDDIE

posted on 26/4/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Chris Gibb's Book!

Hi All
I'v just finished building my chassis for the Locost from the book, and now I'm starting on the wishbones,
the book gives me 25mm and 19mm for them but there is no mention as to the wall thickness, do I assume they
are 16swg the same as the chassis? a little hint would be great!!
One more point and then I'll shut up. Again the book says I will need 16 poly bushes, now I dont have a university
education but I counted and counted and counted again and still got to 22......am I missing something?

damp glasses and thanks to all

AdrianH

posted on 26/4/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I am assuming you mean the Haynes Roadster from your Title of the book rather then Ron Champion book.

Have a look here: -
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=124

Do not forget it should be seemless i think the term is CDS?

May find more detailed help specifically on that forum for the car.

Forgot to say have a good time building and enjoy the mad house.

Adrian

Another edit.

It may be worth while checking the amendments posted on the announcements section of the forum to ensure you have the corrections, I think they are in the later versions.
[Edited on 26-4-12 by AdrianH]

[Edited on 26-4-12 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

iank

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed to check dimensions as the rear wishbone length in the book is wrong.

While you don't need to use CDS for wishbones if you use ERW make sure you align the seams correctly - I think the haynes book goes into that detail.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RAYLEE29

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, you need 44 bushes for a car set and 22 bush tubes
you can use 16swg cds for the wishbones i used 8swg but only cause thats what i had available my bones are probably too strong/heavy but thats life.
check your book edition if its an early one there are mistakes the ealy book used shortened driveshafts so you want to look at the ammendments so the rear wishbones you make will be longer than the original 1st edition then you can use standard shafts.
there is a full list of amendments on the haynes website and there were dims to build a bigger tunnel to suit the mt75 box too.
some people are using mx5 donors now so if you havent got a donor yet there are options.
also for the amount of stuff you actually need its hardly worth getting a whole car.
good luck and take a look through my build diary pics below.
really must get back on my build but my wife keeps finding me other more important stuff to do lol
Ray

build diary1
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/RoadsterPics#
build diary2
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/KITCARPICS?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2AouyYgpuQmAE#

TAZZMAXX

posted on 26/4/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at the tags the CDS tubes engage on (lower front wishbone plate), they are 19mm wide so, deducted from 25 and halved gives 3mm which is the wall thickness I chose. Thinner sections would be fine but I wouldn't go less than 2mm wall to be honest, unless you are going for all out weight savings.
STEADY EDDIE

posted on 30/4/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
haynes roadster

Thanks for all the help and advice, I've now got the bush tubes and am ordering the seamless

19 and 25mm soon, you have cleared the bush problem but they seem hellish expensive,

there must be someone that sells them cheaper!!

may the force be with you all!

Slimy38

posted on 30/4/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't you buy the poly tube and crush tube in longer lengths, and just cut it to size for the 66 items required?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.