Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pop-Up Gazebo/Awning Recommendations
andylancaster3000

posted on 2/5/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Pop-Up Gazebo/Awning Recommendations

After peoples thoughts on pop-up type awning/gazebos. We are hoping to get one to make meetings and various other outdoor activities more tolerable when the weather invariably turns nasty! Hoping for a 3x4.5m one with sides.

There are obviously cheapo ones - tried these - hopeless.

There are expensive heavy duty ones - hexagonal ally poles etc - very good but are they too expensive.

There also seems to be some halfway house ones (£130-180) - lattice type construction with tall roof as per expensive ones but lower quality materials - are these at all worth having when attempting to put it up in the Silverstone gales even if you strap it down OK?

Thoughts much appreciated!

ChrisW

posted on 2/5/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Would you consider one of these:

Tent
Tent

Photo isn't mine, but it's the same tent. US Army 'GP small'. It's a bit tatty, got a couple of tears in it if I remember correctly but it's perfectly usable as it is. Very heavy duty - much better than cheap eBay crap.

I'm looking for £100 for it collected from (near) Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hicost blade

posted on 2/5/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking too

I quite like this one:

http://www.surfturf.co.uk/protex_two_45mx3m.htm

but it is rather expensive

The kind Lady on the phone said its ideal for weekend use..

Although the Protex 1 has a 1 year accidental damage cover on the frame

chris-g

posted on 2/5/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not exactly pop-up. I bought of these from ASDA last year, only £30 and very compact when folded down into its bag. It has fibre glass poles so in windy conditions they will flex rather than break and buckle like the cheap gazebos do. The fabric is a bit thin but will most of the rain out.

http://direct.asda.com/Ozark-Screen-House/000939831,default,pd.html

[Edited on 2/5/12 by chris-g]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/5/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost blade
I've been looking too

I quite like this one:

[url=http://www.surfturf.co.uk/protex_two_45mx3m.htm[/url]

I have a similar one I got from either B&Q or Homebase a few years back but it was nowhere near that price!

Has been used for several things by me including:

Spray Booth
Spray Booth
Spray Booth

Sunshade
Shelter
Shelter

[Edited on 2/5/12 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

adithorp

posted on 2/5/12 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I got a cheap folding one from Aldi a couple of years ago.It's the only thing I've had from there tat I took back! It was fine,if a bit flexible, in the wind untill it got wet at a track day. Then with the extra weight it folded. Can't see any of the other cheap folding ones being much different.
There's usualy a firm at Stoneleigh show selling decent quality ones and often have ex-display ones as well.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

procomp

posted on 2/5/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

As above Surf n Turf. Just had two off their 8mx4m. Unbelievable prises considering and very good quality.

I know it's seems out off your price range mentioned above Andy, but give them a try and offer folding payment.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BobM

posted on 2/5/12 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking at the moment too and had found the Pro-tex ones at Surf and turf along with what look very similar but slightly cheaper at Gala Tent. It looks like their legs are 2mm thick versus 1.2 with Pro-Tex but Protex offer a guarantee whereas so far as I can see Gala Tent aren't offering any warranty. The quoted weights are about the same so maybe the frames are no different strength wise. The Gala one will go a bit lower too which looks handy when it blows.

I've used a cheapo one with square legs for now and it's been OK but as soon as the wind blows it either has to come down or be weighted down with everything I can find!

I think Matt's recommendation might well sway me.

Not very Locost but very BEC

YQUSTA

posted on 2/5/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Gala tent in the shed and can say the quality is very good. the poles are strong along with the material used. iirc there are vents in the top to help in high winds but its been a few years since it was up last so I may be wrong.

I cannot comment on how the quality and cost compares to others as its the only one ive used but compared to the cheapo ones I have seen it wins hands down for the above reasons.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

rustyb22

posted on 15/7/12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW

Tent
Tent

Photo isn't mine, but it's the same tent. US Army 'GP small'. It's a bit tatty, got a couple of tears in it if I remember correctly but it's perfectly usable as it is. Very heavy duty - much better than cheap eBay crap.

Chris

Hi Chris!

Is the above tent still for sale?

Russ

Disgruntled karter

posted on 15/7/12 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Would be worth a look here as well I've seen there awnings and can say that when our eBay disaster finally packs up will be buying the replacement from here http://www.instantawnings.co.uk/

coozer

posted on 15/7/12 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Are these event shelters any good? Do they fold down nice for transportation on a 7??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ChrisW

posted on 15/7/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rustyb22
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW

Tent
Tent

Chris

Hi Chris!

Is the above tent still for sale?

Russ

Hi Russ

Well, I still have it, and I've not thought of a use for it, so I guess so!

Chris

My gaff my rules

BobM

posted on 15/7/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just to follow up I bought a Protex 3m x 4.5m from www.surfturf.co.uk and have been well impressed by the quality. Survived a weekend at Donington when it was very blowy.

Not very Locost but very BEC

swanny

posted on 15/7/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Are these event shelters any good? Do they fold down nice for transportation on a 7??

We took one to the le mans classic this year, really good would definitely recommend, did all our cooking etc in it. Well made and sturdy packs down quite small went easily in the back of my gtm spyder behind the seats with tent and sleeping bag etc should go in a seven too, not the lightest but as I say good solid construction will steel frame. We also had three sun walls and the side with doors so a total cover

Paul

ArthurR

posted on 27/8/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
What is it and who sells it?
swanny

posted on 28/8/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
coleman event shelter. they are on amazon but i think we bought ours from the local camping shop.
nick205

posted on 28/8/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

We took one to the le mans classic this year, really good would definitely recommend, did all our cooking etc in it. Well made and sturdy packs down quite small went easily in the back of my gtm spyder behind the seats with tent and sleeping bag etc should go in a seven too, not the lightest but as I say good solid construction will steel frame. We also had three sun walls and the side with doors so a total cover

Paul

2nd that, I'm looking to pick one up for Le Mans next year. Much better than the normal garden gazebo type efforts.

Some friends took one camping earlier in the year and actually put it over their 4 man tent for an extra bit of rain protection. Meant they packed their tent nearly dry unlike ours which was soaked and took a week to dry out in the garage

swanny

posted on 28/8/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
another potential use for it thrt we considered in the way down to the classic was if its hammering down when you arrive, all of your group put up the event shelter first without pegging it down. then build each tent one by one under the shelter picking it up and moving it from pitch to pitch as you go. bingo everyone stays fairly dry whilst pitching!
mcerd1

posted on 28/8/12 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Some friends took one camping earlier in the year and actually put it over their 4 man tent for an extra bit of rain protection. Meant they packed their tent nearly dry unlike ours which was soaked and took a week to dry out in the garage

sounds like you need a better tent if it was that wet

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.