Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sick bike engine
Blackbird Rush

posted on 7/5/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sick bike engine

Well what started out as a good day didn't end so good :-(

Needless to say didn't make it to stoneleigh and have a sick rush again, this time it appears that the gearbox has expired.

Seam to have a box of neutrals.

Story goes like this.......

Originally noted that changing from 1st to second would go into neutral on occasion but otherwise all was well and ran fine. Sat at traffic lights in gear with the clutch down, then I felt a bit of pressure on the pedal pushing back at my foot then it went light and then no pressure at all at the pedal, but still in gear and no forward motion?? Tried to select a gear/change gear still nothing?? 

Pushed to a side road and had a look, the clutch slave cylinder has been bent back then the piston had popped out and leaked out the fluid, tried to find a gear manually with the selector and rather than push to go to either 1st or 6th then stop the selector keeps going? But it feels like its changing gear?

Engine still runs ok with no funny noises?

Any ideas or knackered gearbox?

Where was that place selling cheap new black top zetec's! I feel a BEC to CEC Conversion on the cards.......

minitici

posted on 7/5/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a clutch slave problem.
Has the clutch slave mounting broken?

If it has the slave piston will pop out.

From your description that sounds like what has happened.

As for not getting drive in any gear, you may have overtravelled something in the clutch.

[Edited on 7/5/12 by minitici]

tilly819

posted on 7/5/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have a complete blackbird gearbox in the workshop if you want it?

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Jon Ison

posted on 7/5/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Sounds like a clutch slave problem.
Has the clutch slave mounting broken?

If it has the slave piston will pop out.

From your description that sounds like what has happened.

As for not getting drive in any gear, you may have overtravelled something in the clutch.

[Edited on 7/5/12 by minitici]

Sounds a good shout, it's easy to get over travel on a bird clutch, do you have a stop on your clutch pedal ? If it's pushed the rod to far clutch cover off, clutch out back in should sort it, but then fit a stop on your pedal, I always fit one on beck to prevent over travel, your leg muscles are a tad stronger than a couple of fingers.

Blackbird Rush

posted on 7/5/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers

Having pondered I have managed to get the gearbox to select gears now so it maybe just the slave cyl.

Quite a possibility of over travel on the clutch as I have not hot a stop(other than the baulkhead) will remount the slave cyl and pop the clutch out and have a nose...

This is the first time out for this engine, never had this with the last engine , maybe just lucky?

Jon Ison

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just taking the springs out and back in should sort it, as you release the springs the clutch "should" pop back, definitely fit a pedal stop, I set mine with the car in gear and push it, as soon as I have enough clutch to be able to push the car in gear that's where I stop the pedal travel, if that makes sense ?
dlatch

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
put a zetec in it!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Blackbird Rush

posted on 8/5/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Right then.......

Took off the clutch cover to have a look at the clutch and the plates open and free to move as the pushrod was pushed forward and jammed by the slave cylinder.

Removing the slave cylinder released the push rod and hey presto the clutch plates sprang back closed.

The piston had jammed in the slave cylinder, locking the pushrod forward, as the piston had been pushed too far out and got jammed when the fluid escaped and it released slightly.

A rebuild of the slave cylinder mounting is needed as it bent and also a pedal stop is also needed to stop it happening again.

The funny thing is that the set up is the same as its always been but it only happened now!

A nice cheap fix as the only thing that needs changing is the piston seal in the slave cylinder.

Thanks for the pointers chaps, as ever there is a wealth of knowledge here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.