Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec to Type 9 starter occasionally binding - hi torque starter?
adrianreeve

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec to Type 9 starter occasionally binding - hi torque starter?

Evening all, my brand new starter seems to bind occasionally, and it has been suggested that this is not an uncommon problem with this combination, and that people have used a geared or hi-torque starter (it's an LRS345 if that helps). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could fid such a beast?!

Cheers

Adrian

austin man

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
are you sure its not fouling the sump if its a silvertop this will put a strain on it if so. I have had my sump modified to get over this problem only have a standard starter though

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

perksy

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is this only happening when the engine is hot ?
britishtrident

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Too much ignition advance at cranking speed ie 0 to 500 rpm

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

adrianreeve

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
It usually only happens when cold, and the car has just had a full mapping session at Atspeed, so I would be very surprised if the cranking advance was incorrect?

Cheers

Adrian

britishtrident

posted on 9/5/12 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
in that case prepared to be very surprised the number of times over the years I have heard "can't be that that is stopping the car from starting the car has just had a rolling road session" it more or less confirms it the advance curve needs sorting at cranking speeds.

Back in the days of old fashioned centrifugal advance distributors it used to be very common problem on nodded cars especially Fords, wear in the distributor mechanism makes it worse.
In those days the only way to fix it was to dismantle the distributer and tweek the internals, these days with electronically adjustable timing maps it is much easier to fix.

[/I]

whitestu

posted on 9/5/12 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is this only happening when the engine is hot ?

Persky why do you say that? Mine is often sluggish when hot and I was assuming the starter needed replacing.

Stu

adrianreeve

posted on 9/5/12 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, interesting, but if that was the case, wouldn't this happen all the time, not just at cold start?

Cheers

Adrian

britishtrident

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
At cold start you have the additional load on the starter caused by oil drag which is one of the reasons modern engines run on 5w/30 engine oils.
Old fashioned 19060s technolgy oils such as 20w/50 as well as being engine killers cause a lot of oil drag at cold starts, excessive oil drag + kick back from excessive ignition adavance = too much for the starter.

[/I]

Fizzer

posted on 9/5/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
interesting thread, this has happened to me on and off in the last few years
I always assumed that I had 'over pumped' my carbs before turning the key - causing the petrol in the bores to hydraulic lock... However, that was just a guess based on no particular knowledge, just me speculating really.
Waiting a few seconds usually clears it.

Oddified

posted on 9/5/12 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
An engine with high compression, reasonable to wild cams and to much ignition timing while cranking can give the starter a very hard time or even stall the starter completely.

The cold cranking mixture can also tip it over the edge if it's to rich with a bit to much timing.

More often than not most rolling roads only optimize the normal running fuel/ignition maps, and the starting/warm up compensation maps don't get touched from default settings. Not to surprising when you really only get one shot at setting them up each day (it's not actualy cold again!).

Ian

Billbro

posted on 10/5/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Starter.

I had the same problem with a new 2.0 black top and the standard starter. Very intermittent, it would fail to crank fast enough randomly when hot. I replaced the battery and replaced the starter with a reconditioned one but the problem remained. The car had been on the rolling road so I tried retarding the ignition, still no use. I bought a Ford Powerlite starter from LA Distribution, Belfast which bolted straight on. This solved the problem and the engine has never failed to turn over since. I'm running Omex and Jenveys with 171BHP at the crank.
Bill.

adrianreeve

posted on 10/5/12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bill, I did just what you have said today, ordered a powerlite unit from Rally Designs, will be here next week, hopefully this will sort the problem!

Cheers

Adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.