Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Cutting List
Padstar

posted on 18/5/12 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis Cutting List

Hello,

I am deciding on weather i should opt for a pre cut chassis kit or cut myself.

Do the kits on offer generally come with everything required (transmition tunnel, rear tub tubes sheet plates etc).

My other questions are if i cut myself is a pair of gogles and an abrasive wheel a good enough set up or does it need to be more accurate than that?

Last one - does anyone have a cutting schedule in excel format that you could email over before i start copying from teh book onto an spreadsheet to send out to some supliers for prices.

Slimy38

posted on 18/5/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
The kits I've seen generally include everything that doesn't require customization. So for example I've never seen engine mounts included as they would be specific to what you wanted to run. I have seen kits that vary depending on the rear transmission, IE live axle or not.

Personally I'm going down a 'cut myself' route, and I was planning on using a hacksaw and a set of files! Mainly because my garage is attached to the house and underneath a bedroom, so I need to limit the amount of power tool noise I can make. I was going to cut the pieces as I use them, so it's not as if I'll spend an entire day just cutting piece after piece.

There are a few cutting schedules on the internet, based on the original book and the Haynes Roadster. I can't add a link at the moment as I'm logging on from work, if no-one else beats me to it I should be able to find a link this evening.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 18/5/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you're confident enough of your measuring/cutting skills, it is definitely worth cutting at least the main parts all in one go using a 1mm cutting disc. Even better if you have one of the angle grinder stands. there will always be some parts that need 'adjusting' or modifying to suit your particular buitld but the majority is do-able in one go.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Not Anumber

posted on 18/5/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
A large number of the people over on the Haynes forum get pre cut 'flat pack' chassis from either HandyAndy or Talon. The cost isn't a huge amount more than sourcing the steel and has the advantage that all the pieces are cut to the correct length and angles by engineers who are doing it all the time so that it's all ready to clamp up and start assembling
RichardK

posted on 18/5/12 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I'd get a HandyAndy pack,top class kit from what I've see,nice chap too.

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Monstermave

posted on 18/5/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just starting mine and getting a price for the steel from a local steel fabricator friend but precut at the right price would save a lot of time. Does anyone have a link or web address for Talon or Handyandy?
Padstar

posted on 18/5/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just been talking to handy andy and from the recomendations on here and the decent prices he charges, i think i will forget about the option of cutting myself.

Clear out the garage and then give andy a call for my order.

Reechard

posted on 18/5/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Do the pre cut kits come made for a specific car. things like the transmission tunnel and such?

Just I am probably going to use an mx5 but the haynes book uses a sierra.

If the kits allow for different suspension, engine etc then I would consider getting one rather than making my own.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Padstar

posted on 18/5/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
HandyAndy seems to do them for the more popular donor cars. I plan to use the MX5 gearbox and he can provide a kit to use that tunnel set up. Looks like the way to go (and i am not normally up for "buying in" when it can be done yourself).
Reechard

posted on 18/5/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for the quick reply. I'll contact Handy once I am ready to start building. Barns a bit untidy.
handyandy

posted on 18/5/12 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Once again, thanks for the thumbs up guys.

I can supply a flat pack kit for the Roadster to accept.....MX5 , type9 or MT75 gearbox.

The front frames come fully welded which saves the builder needing to make a jig just to weld it together, as I cut the parts then I may aswell weld it in my own jig etc.

There is also the option of which rear tub framework depending upon the builder fitting an Ali or GRP rear tub, as the framework is different.

Any questions then please feel free to U2U me or contact me by email.

I can also supply wishbone/suspension brackets, CP plate kits etc etc.

cheers
Andy

MakeEverything

posted on 18/5/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
Once again, thanks for the thumbs up guys.

I can supply a flat pack kit for the Roadster to accept.....MX5 , type9 or MT75 gearbox.

The front frames come fully welded which saves the builder needing to make a jig just to weld it together, as I cut the parts then I may aswell weld it in my own jig etc.

There is also the option of which rear tub framework depending upon the builder fitting an Ali or GRP rear tub, as the framework is different.

Any questions then please feel free to U2U me or contact me by email.

I can also supply wishbone/suspension brackets, CP plate kits etc etc.

cheers
Andy

Sounds like a good service. Good effort.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Padstar

posted on 2/6/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Is there a cutting list for the Westfield chassis?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.