Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finally an LED replacement GU10 bulb that works!!
Jasper

posted on 25/5/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Finally an LED replacement GU10 bulb that works!!

I know it's been discussed on here a few times. I have a shop and have about 20 x 50w halogen bulbs which not only put out loads of heat, but also use loads of eleccy and don't last that long, even with the better quality long life bulbs. I've been in a few shops that have replaced them with LED bulbs and the effect was not good, too little light and not a nice colour.

My bulb supplier said he finally had an LED replacement that was good:

http://www.ebuyer.com/320308-crompton-f019hp-daylight-bulb-f019hp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

He sent me one in the post to try and I'm very impressed. It's only 4w, but the light output is very close to the 50w halogen bulb, it puts out very little heat - it does get warm but not the skin melting heat of the halogen bulb, and the colour is quite good too, it's a bit 'blue' and not as warm as the halogen, but it's acceptable. My bulb guy has done them at £10 each rather than the £2 for the halogen, so considerably more expensive but I'll get a few at a time and swap them over, and they've got a 30,000 hour life, or about 15 years in my shop!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

dhutch

posted on 25/5/12 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
As you say, more than a standard halogen but not rediculas if the colour and bulb life is right.;

I dont have twenty of them, but both my kitchen and bathroom are downlit and partiuarly the hours the eight kitchen ones are on you do get the feeling its a silly way to light a room given how good CFLs are.

Daniel

Alfa145

posted on 25/5/12 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 4 of these in my kitchen (other 4 are still halogen) and only £9 and if anything they are better than the halogens

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/LED+Lamps/LED+54W+High+Power+GU10+Cool+White+240lm/d220/sd3276/p36375

Just make sure you choose the warm white as the cool white ones are very "clinical" or harsh and bright, the warm ones are a spot on match for the halogens, will be replacing the rest as and when they blow.

[Edited on 25/5/12 by Alfa145]

v8kid

posted on 25/5/12 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
As Jasper says some of them do not have a nice effect and it was just my donald duck to buy 10 of them. Colour is so far into the blue end of the spectrum that colour rendering is apalling and the overall impression is one of gloom.

It's a case of buyer beware but from my experience I would never buy one again unless I tested a sample first.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 25/5/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kidIt's a case of buyer beware but from my experience I would never buy one again unless I tested a sample first.
From the same manufactor? Same colour rating?

D Beddows

posted on 25/5/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As Jasper says some of them do not have a nice effect and it was just my donald duck to buy 10 of them. Colour is so far into the blue end of the spectrum that colour rendering is apalling and the overall impression is one of gloom. It's a case of buyer beware but from my experience I would never buy one again unless I tested a sample first.

I know EXACTLY what you mean - I bought a load of cheapo ones from B&Q when they had an offer on a while back having realised our lights in the hall required an extra power station to be brought on line every time you flicked the switch. The led's used 15w in total instead of 450+ for the halogens but it was like being in some kind of correctional facility! I replaced half of them with low energy GU10s and now I think it's 60w in total but it's completely brought the warmth back into the lighting and it's still a huge saving....... ok half the bulbs are blueish looking and half yellowish but if anyone asks I just say it's a design feature

Liam

posted on 25/5/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've had ~5W warm white LED GU10s for ages. They are great (if you really must choose to light a room with dozens of small spotlights rather than a proper light fitting designed for lighting a room ).
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimmyd

posted on 25/5/12 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Been wanting to replace my GU10s for ages but I've at least 50 of them in the house so that's £500 of LEDs. Mmm need to wait a bit yet!!
Liam

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd
Been wanting to replace my GU10s for ages but I've at least 50 of them in the house so that's £500 of LEDs. Mmm need to wait a bit yet!!

Well dont wait too long - that lot probably costs you a couple of hundred a year in leccy!

coyoteboy

posted on 29/5/12 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd

Jesus christ on a bike, 50?!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.